• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Greetings from Germany!

Mafalda

Hello everybody!

I live in Germany and I love reading. My alltime favorite is "Anne of Green Gables", I love this book since I was a little girl. I also like Nick Hornby, J.K. Rowling, Walter Moers, and a lot of other Authors.

Please don't judge me for my bad english, I almost don't dare to do postings in an english forum. But I want to learn better english and I know I have to do something, so I'm writing here and hope you'll be able to understand what I am trying to say ;).

Welcome to the forum Mafalda :)

Don't worry about your English - it is by far better than my German (which is practically non-existant :D )

Welcome to TBF, Mafalda :D

As others have already posted, don't feel self-concious about your English - I wish that I could do as well as you at speaking another language!

Hi Mafalda and welcome! What an intriguing name - care to tell us about it?

Oh, and I applaud you for practicing your English here. Dive in, and you'll learn a lot, both about books and English. Don't worry about not being understood, either. If we don't understand we'll let you know, and you'll learn. You gotta make mistakes to get anywhere in this world, eh? :) Although, from your intro, you seem pretty darn fluent!

Welcome Mafalda!. Lot of great people here, you'll more than find a few people who enjoy the same works as yourself.

Hallo Mafalda! :)
It's nice to see you here since I'm struggling with the same problems, but your English sounds very understandable, at least to me.

I noticed your avatar right away in another thread! Walter Moers is just great, I still have "Rumo und die Wunder im Dunkeln" somewhere on my shelf..

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Don't worry about your English. I am English and I can hardly speak it myself!

Welcome to the forum, Mafalda! :)

Your English is very good - I could understand you perfectly well. I am afraid I can only remember one thing from my German lessons, and I'm not sure if this is correct: "Wie komme ich am besten zum Rathaus?" A very useful question, I'm sure you will agree! :D

Halo said:
I am afraid I can only remember one thing from my German lessons, and I'm not sure if this is correct: "Wie komme ich am besten zum Rathaus?" A very useful question, I'm sure you will agree! :D

This can be useful if you're moving completely to germany. :D

But better remember this sentence: "Wie komme ich am besten zur nächsten Buchhandlung?" what means in English: "Where is the next bookstore?" ;)

Thanks for the compliment, I'm trying my best. But I'm sure I do often use "German grammar" what makes my sentences kind of weird. But I'm working at it.

Thanks a lot, everybody. I'm happy I found this very nice place. :)

Mafalda said:
But better remember this sentence: "Wie komme ich am besten zur nächsten Buchhandlung?" what means in English: "Where is the next bookstore?" ;)

I like that one better - much more useful. :)

Back