• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hans Christian Andersen

hobitten

I don't know if you are aware of it (probably you are, being book lovers and all). But next year a huge cultural event will take place in Denmark: The celebration of Hans Christian Andersens (would be) 200 years birthday. :)
The purpose of the celebrations is to make sure, that as many people as possible, all over the world, get a more nuanced picture of the writer. A lot of people know Andersen from his fairy tales, but there is so much more to this man. :) :)

Last week, on april 2nd, was the 199th birthday, and the first events started: The nominations of HCA Ambassadors in practically every country in the world. The will be prominent - well known personalities - primarily from the arts, whose task it is to promote international aware of his work.

I happen to live in Odense, which was the native town of Andersen, and the city set up a special office some 4-5 years ago, to prepare the festivities. So for the next couple of years, my city (and indeed my country) will be buzzing with activities, events, prominent and royal visits, etc. I am not sure if I should throw myself into the frenzy, :D or get the hell out of town. :eek: :confused:

For more information, check this out - it has an english version, as well as a Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German and Russian version.

www.hca2005.com

Hobitten :)

Mile-O-Phile said:
I was there a few years ago visiting the Maersk Shipyard. :)

Oh Yeah?

We call it Lindø.

- never been there, though. I have driven past it, seen it from a distance. But never been there.

Litany said:
Pah! What sort of a Viking are you?

The landlubbing sort. Never found my sea legs.

But, someone has to stay behind - and tend to the land, stock and offspring.

I've written a reasonably detailed short bibliography/synopsis of Hans Christian Anderson as part of a series of bios I've done on classic fantasy authors, aimed to educate and inform readers who may not necessarily be aware of these authors of yesteryear. This is certainly not some sort of publication I intend to print or produce for profit, just something I do as a labour of love.

It's also not an official or necessarily authorative bio but based on a combo of my own knowledge, reasearch and books I've read by variuos authors within the fantasy genre over several years.

If anyone would like me to post my short bio here let me know assuming it's not an issue woth the site moderators???...:confused:

PS. I've posted short bios before on other sites and it has always seemed to fuel a certain degree of interest in the authors covered and indeed encouraged several members to seek out works they wouldn't necessarily have otherwise done.

nera115 said:
I would like to read it... if it's not like my maths book;) :D
Hopefully not...;)

I might PM the moderators to make sure it's OK and try to post before the New Year.

Over and out...:cool:

GOLLUM said:
I've written a reasonably detailed short bibliography/synopsis of Hans Christian Anderson as part of a series of bios I've done on classic fantasy authors, aimed to educate and inform readers who may not necessarily be aware of these authors of yesteryear. This is certainly not some sort of publication I intend to print or produce for profit, just something I do as a labour of love.

It's also not an official or necessarily authorative bio but based on a combo of my own knowledge, reasearch and books I've read by variuos authors within the fantasy genre over several years.

If anyone would like me to post my short bio here let me know assuming it's not an issue woth the site moderators???...:confused:

PS. I've posted short bios before on other sites and it has always seemed to fuel a certain degree of interest in the authors covered and indeed encouraged several members to seek out works they wouldn't necessarily have otherwise done.

I'd like to read it. By the way. If you're interested, I can recommend Jens Andersens biography: Hans Christian Andersen (translated into English).

hobitten said:
I'd like to read it. By the way. If you're interested, I can recommend Jens Andersens biography: Hans Christian Andersen (translated into English).
Thanks, I've actually got a copy of that lying around somewhere...:D

I'll try and post the short bio before the New Year.

Cheers..

Back