• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harper Lee: To Kill A Mockingbird

• Thread starter Deleted member 6550
  • Start date
Let's talk about Boo

Boo Radley is an antisocial weirdo who stabbed his father with a pair of scissors. He secretly watches Jem and Scout from behind his curtains.

Is Atticus, by today's standards, a responsible parent, letting Scout hold hands with this man and sit alone with him on the porch swing? Would you trust Boo alone with your six year old daughter?

Some might compare Boo with the mockingbird. Others might say that if Boo were black he would have been in jail a long time ago.

What do you think of Boo?

I find the question of 'knowing one's place in the world' really interesting. Crossing boundaries is always dangerous in the book. Knowing your place is always important.

Yes, this is an interesting dynamic. In some ways, the hired house hand or "mammy"(to use an uglier, early phrase) actually has some degree of power over the children in regards to setting up the schedule of the house and in scolding the children(white children mind you) of wrong behavior. Sometimes those with the least *prestigious* positions have more power than one would think!

Yes, this is an interesting dynamic. In some ways, the hired house hand or "mammy"(to use an uglier, early phrase) actually has some degree of power over the children in regards to setting up the schedule of the house and in scolding the children(white children mind you) of wrong behavior. Sometimes those with the least *prestigious* positions have more power than one would think!

I actually don't think there's anything surprising about Cal's authority at all. She is a dearly loved member of the family, which underlies the children's view of race and color. Cal is one of the characters in the book who refuses to cross boundaries because she's a traditionalist.

the hired house hand or "mammy"

I like the way that you go straight from 'hired hand' to 'mammy', ignoring the more common contemporaneous terms 'housekeeper' 'maid' and 'cook' to describe Cal. I think the Finches would have referred to her as their housekeeper, if forced to describe her relationship to the family. I think she would describe herself as their housekeeper when referring to her job.

I like the way that you go straight from 'hired hand' to 'mammy', ignoring the more common contemporaneous terms 'housekeeper' 'maid' and 'cook' to describe Cal. I think the Finches would have referred to her as their housekeeper, if forced to describe her relationship to the family. I think she would describe herself as their housekeeper when referring to her job.
\

Absolutely. Cal is a professional housekeeper, not a 'mammy." Obviously she loves the children and they her, but she's nobody's doormat.

LOL-Will add more novella when I get there, currently trying to finish up A Death in the Family. However, I'll keep in mind not to make comparisons so as to create confusion.:)

Boo Radley is an antisocial weirdo who stabbed his father with a pair of scissors. He secretly watches Jem and Scout from behind his curtains.

Is Atticus, by today's standards, a responsible parent, letting Scout hold hands with this man and sit alone with him on the porch swing? Would you trust Boo alone with your six year old daughter?

Some might compare Boo with the mockingbird. Others might say that if Boo were black he would have been in jail a long time ago.

What do you think of Boo?
Was it ever actually established that he did stab his father with the scissors? I thought that this was just a rumor created by the gossips and children in the town (an action that I believe was thoroughly panned in the book).

But anyhow, by today's standards I don't think that Atticus would have been viewed as a responsible parent in those regards. If this is because there is more of a threat towards children with strangers in todays world, or because the threats are more widely publicised and emphasised, I'm not entirely sure.
Do I personally think that Atticus was irresponsible? I don't think he was, no. I think that Boo Radley was mistakenly seen as a weirdo and psychopath, something which I'm sure contributed to him staying inside the house - I'm not sure if he could have stood up to the attention and ridicule I'm such he would have been subject to had he ventured into the outside world. Atticus was one of the few who had an inside to Boo Radley's true personality (as he visited the home on occasion), and was therefore one of the few to see how badly misrepresented he was. I think that Boo proved himself to be a "good" person and a man fully in charge of his mind and body when he saved the two children from being murdered. I think that this proved that he was neither psycho nor "evil", and that he obviously had a strong will to look after these children - not many people would put their neck on the line for someone that they would later abuse, especially someone with a social handicap equal to that of Boo Radley.

Boo Radley was actually my favourite character in the book - he brought a level of suspense and mistique to the novel that kept one constantly thinking about the ideas and issues raised in the novel. That and he was the central example of the main moral behind the story. He was the leader of the mockingbirds, if you will, and as a result I found him immensely intriguing.

I should be reading this novel for school, but I just can't get into it right now. Guess I'm just not in the mood for it. There are too many other books vying for my attention.

Was it ever actually established that he did stab his father with the scissors? I thought that this was just a rumor created by the gossips and children in the town (an action that I believe was thoroughly panned in the book).

But anyhow, by today's standards I don't think that Atticus would have been viewed as a responsible parent in those regards. If this is because there is more of a threat towards children with strangers in todays world, or because the threats are more widely publicised and emphasised, I'm not entirely sure.
Do I personally think that Atticus was irresponsible? I don't think he was, no. I think that Boo Radley was mistakenly seen as a weirdo and psychopath, something which I'm sure contributed to him staying inside the house - I'm not sure if he could have stood up to the attention and ridicule I'm such he would have been subject to had he ventured into the outside world. Atticus was one of the few who had an inside to Boo Radley's true personality (as he visited the home on occasion), and was therefore one of the few to see how badly misrepresented he was. I think that Boo proved himself to be a "good" person and a man fully in charge of his mind and body when he saved the two children from being murdered. I think that this proved that he was neither psycho nor "evil", and that he obviously had a strong will to look after these children - not many people would put their neck on the line for someone that they would later abuse, especially someone with a social handicap equal to that of Boo Radley.

Boo Radley was actually my favourite character in the book - he brought a level of suspense and mistique to the novel that kept one constantly thinking about the ideas and issues raised in the novel. That and he was the central example of the main moral behind the story. He was the leader of the mockingbirds, if you will, and as a result I found him immensely intriguing.

MC, so many thoughts worth exploring here. I think your mind is so open to all the possible worlds of Boo that it will be fun to discuss. I want to get back to this, but alas, it's too late tonight.

MC, so many thoughts worth exploring here. I think your mind is so open to all the possible worlds of Boo that it will be fun to discuss. I want to get back to this, but alas, it's too late tonight.
I look forward to it (and in the meantime I will have to polish up on my knowledge of the book, as I last read it around two years ago).

The truth about Boo

The truth about Boo is unknown. However, there is no point at which anyone, even Atticus, says that the scissors story is untrue. In fact, at the end of Chapter 5, when the kids are really pushing to get Boo to come out and they're re-enacting the stabbing scene all the time, Atticus says that it isn't right to parade someone's family history that way. So, that implies that the story has some truth, doesn't it? There is also no question that he was jailed in the town jail for some time, before being sent home.

Also, I have a lot of trouble with the assumption that Boo is harmless. After all, what does he do at the end? Stab and kill Ewell, the villain. Is there any reason to believe, then, that he didn't stab his father as well? I don't think you can make that assumption.

Plus, here's this truly odd nutty guy who won't leave his house and spies on the kids. Why would anyone think he's harmless? If you actually picture this type of person living on your block, giving your kids secret presents, watching them all the time, never talking to anyone. Would you think that person is okay to let your kids near, alone?

I think from a young person's point of view, in reading this book, there is a natural attraction to Boo as an outsider, rather like the attraction some feel toward Holden Caulfield. But as a character, if you read closely, his actions (spying, stabbing Ewell, the weird little gifts left for the kids), he's pretty scary.

The truth about Boo is unknown. However, there is no point at which anyone, even Atticus, says that the scissors story is untrue. In fact, at the end of Chapter 5, when the kids are really pushing to get Boo to come out and they're re-enacting the stabbing scene all the time, Atticus says that it isn't right to parade someone's family history that way. So, that implies that the story has some truth, doesn't it? There is also no question that he was jailed in the town jail for some time, before being sent home.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I can't remember Atticus saying that, but if he did then I think that it is good evidence that Boo did indeed stab his father.

Also, I have a lot of trouble with the assumption that Boo is harmless. After all, what does he do at the end? Stab and kill Ewell, the villain.
Does killing a person just about to murder two children that Boo was obviously fond of really make him a bad person? Read any other novel, watch any other movie and the guy who kills the villain is the hero. What makes it different in this case? Because he has social difficulties? In my eyes, that makes him more heroic because not only did he have to overcome his fear of death from defending the children, but he also had to struggle with his intense fears keeping him from venturing outside.
Perhaps he did stab his father, and if he did there is no way that we could ever know why. To assume that he did so because he is some crazy psychopath would be erroneous, especially given his actions in the last few chapters of the novel. It is possible that he was psychopathic and that he was rehabilitated, but I think that it is clear by the end of the novel that he is not the loon that he is held to be in popular opinion.

Plus, here's this truly odd nutty guy who won't leave his house and spies on the kids. Why would anyone think he's harmless?
Using the word "spies" gives his actions a negative connotation that I don't think they deserve. Of course he was interesed in these kids who would not leave him alone, who were insistent on spying on him. I got the impression from his actions that Boo was far less mature than he should have been at his age (did it ever say how old he was?), and so I think it's even more reasonable that he was intrigued by these kids, by the idea of someone you could relate to, to the idea of friends. I don't think that you can look at the gifts in a negative light because they were not given to the children with ulterior motives in mind. He never tried anything with them, never tried to lure them with the gifts, and therefore I don't think that you can view the gift-giving in the same light as some dirty old man trying to get kids to grab sweeties from his pocket. I think that he truely wanted to do something nice for these kids, to finally reach out to someone who existed outside his walls. I saw the children as a rehabilitation tool for Boo, something that would give him an incentive to finally get over his fear of the outside world, not something that he preyed upon.

But as a character, if you read closely, his actions (spying, stabbing Ewell, the weird little gifts left for the kids), he's pretty scary.
Scary if you don't understand his personality and his consequent actions. Of course he sounds like a dememted nutter when you list the things he did, but it was the intentions behind the actions that are more important. His intentions changes everything, and until you understand Boo, you can never pass a fair judgement on his actions.

Just as a little aside - could you really call him a nutter just because he doesn't go outside? For all we know he could have had agoraphobia - my father had this when I was younger and didn't venture outside for 14 months. This doesn't make him insane. Plus, if Boo is scared of going outside than of course all he can do is watch (or "spy"). This doesn't necessarily make his actions sinister.

All good points, MC, particularly about how we cannot know Boo's intentions or inner thoughts. In fact, that's the whole quandary of Boo. He is a tabula rasa for the reader, a character into which we project assumptions that really have no basis in fact. After all, we never do learn his point of view. All we know is what other people say about him, because he does not speak for himself--and those who talk about him don't know him well either. Perhaps Atticus does, but he keeps it to himself. . .

My point is that to assume one thing or another (he is harmless/he is dangerous) is a choice the reader makes based on the perceptions of, perhaps, Scout, who declares that he is like a mockingbird. But is he? Can we trust her judgment?

I put more of my trust in the opinion of Atticus rather than Scout. Sure, Scout does openly declare him to be a mockingbird, but Atticus was the first to bring up the whole idea of a mockingbird. While he was speaking more of Tom at the time, there's no doubt that Boo was also included in his description of a mockingbird. Seeing as how Atticus had an inside view to the life of Boo I was more apt to trust his judgement, and he seemed to find Boo perfectly harmless (or if not harmless, good-intentioned).

What about you thoughts on this, though? Do you think he was irresponsible in letting him sit alone with his young daughter? So far I'm getting the impression that you have providing contrary views for the sake of discussion (not that there's anything wrong with that) and not really sharing your opinion.

I think Atticus is an excellent parent by 1950s standards. I also think that by today's standards he would be faulted for letting his kids near Boo Radley, among other things. Also for letting them wander around alone at night when he has had threats against himself.

But times change. Even in the 70s, it was normal for everyone I knew to play outside all day and into the night unsupervised. So, yeah, Atticus is fine, unless you look at him through revisionist eyes.

But that doesn't mean there wasn't any real danger. Knowing what we know now about the number of pedophiles and whackos out there (with all the old cases still coming forth), I'm not sure I trust Atticus's judgment on this. Then again, having a bad experience or two as a kid is not the end of the world.

So obviously I'm not coming down clearly one way or the other. That's why it's an interesting aspect of the story to me.

Did you know that the character Dill is based on Truman Capote, who Lee played with as a child?

Another question: what do you make of the conversation in which Jem and Scout argue about whether they could be 'part Negro"?

I think I must have heard of the Dill thing as it seemed familiar when I read it, but I had forgotten about that - how interesting!

As for the second question - I'll have to get a copy and re-read that part before I can answer, as I have no recollection of that conversation!

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the most challenged and banned books in the schools curricula in the US, mostly cited for profanity and damage to race relations. The NAACP protested its use in Arizona schools.

I guess the assumption is that the teachers are incapable of teaching the book sufficiently, i.e., talking about the history of racism and the language in the book in that context. That's a hell of an indictment of teaching.

If we can 'trust' teachers to teach history, why not trust them to teach literature that deals with difficult historical truths?

I personally think the book has been banned because of the sexual content, because that is the aspect of the book that I remember teachers shying away from. Nobody wants to explain rape, or the possibility of incest, or those many discreet references to Mayella's seduction scene.

It's pretty clear that the racist language is used by the 'bad' characters, and the various conversations about race the Finch children have are open and curious. It's relatively easy to teach those passages to a class of 12 year olds. But the sexual innuendos and the exposition of those scenes is much different, much harder to explain, and so much more is left to the imagination. There is nothing to point to and say 'this is the truth', 'this is wrong' or 'this girl was not really wrong' because you don't want to condone that behavior.

What I mean is, here's Mayella trying to seduce Tom. So maybe she's not a racist. Maybe she's just lonely (as Atticus says). But she's not the person you want your schoolchildren to emulate either.

Back