• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter Seventh Book Pre-Sales Speculations and Discussions

Will Harry return to Hogwarts for a 7th year?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Yes, but he will not stay the whole year or he will just visit

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
He did it before he died. He even SAID, "I know I will be dead long before you read this."
I don't know about Rowling being hesitant to make it that easy. She did some other very obvious things that took all the characters forever and a day to figure out, too. And just because we figure it out doesn't mean Harry will. I love the boy dearly, but he isn't very bright.

The Last Horcrux (spoilers)

I have an interesting theory, and I haven't heard anyone else say anything about it, so here I go.
I believe Harry himself is the last horcrux. It might explain something more about why Voldemort failed to kill him. It was never said that a person couldn't be a horcrux. And also, Harry has inherited some of Voldemort's powers--he's a parseltongue, for instance--and he can see what Voldemort is doing, feel what he's feeling. This would make sense if Harry and a piece of Voldemort's soul in his body.
And wouldn't it be interesting if Harry had to kill himself in order to kill Voldemort? In fact, I seem to remember Voldemort telling Dumbledore in book 5 that Dumbledore could kill Voldemort by killing Harry.
What are your thoughts on it?

I know it says, 'I will be long dead before you read this message', But he also says, 'I have the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can', so how can he destroy it when he is dead?

Omg Thats Right!

OMG, your right acctaully now that I think about it. Its a little farfetched, but it does all fit the reasons that you mentioned. Clever way of thinking that! :)

A popular theory is that Harry's scar, rather than Harry-the-whole-boy, is the last horcrux. Of course destroying his own scar basically means killing himself, all the same, and would be a pretty satisfactory end to the book, in order to bring about V's demise. And we know the last word of the book is 'scar'.

I don't think so. In order to make a Horcrux, you have to kill someone and then put a part of your soul in the intended Horcrux, then keep the new Horcrux safe so that part of your soul is safe in turn. The making and then safeguarding the Horcrux is all very intentional and purposeful and wouldn't happen by accident. Voldemort had every intention of killing Harry when he went to the Potter's house that night, so Harry couldn't be a Horcrux.

I think the thing in book 5 you're referring to, Valkyrie, is that Voldemort told Dumbledore he could kill him by killing Harry because at that point, Voldemort was posessing Harry. It wasn't in fact true of course - even if you could kill someone by killing the person they're posessing, it wouldn't have worked in Voldemort's case anyway because of the Horcruxes.

Oh, I was aware of that. I was just wondering if there was a deeper meaning to Voldemort's comment than Dumbledore or Harry realized.

Well, I suppose Voldemort could have had something up his sleeve. Maybe another aspect of Dark magic. In fact I bet we still don't have all the facts on him and will find out more in the 7th book :D

Anyway, I still don't think Harry is the last Horcrux, and if Rowling did decide to do that I would be really disappointed. So far she has done an excellent job of both foreshadowing things and making everything fit together in the end. For example, did you know how Malfoy's Vanishing Cabinet got broken? In the 2nd book, Nearly Headless Nick persuaded Peeves to drop it from a great height right in front of Filch's office, in order to distract Filch so Harry wouldn't get in trouble for tracking mud in the castle. Cool huh?:cool: (I just saw this recently while rereading TCoS and wanted to share)

R.A.B. in Dutch

if you read book 6 in dutch, the initials R.A.B. are translated into R.A.Z.. In Dutch the surname of Sirius is Zwarts, which is a translation of Black. Thats why I think the brother of sirius stole the Horcrux.

Dumbledore mentions in book 6 that Regulus left the deatheaters and is killed a few days after his desertion. He is suprised about the fact that Karkarov managed to live another year after his desertion.

But thats the whole magic of it. The fact that it could be Regulas Black is way to simple to figure out. JKR would never make anything that easy. Also no one knows Regulas' middle name, it could be Etchcroft for all we know and that wouldn't fit the 'A' in the middle.

hmm, Bellatrix is just Bellatrix in the Dutch version...not something with a Z. It has to be someone we know. I don't think JKR will introduce a whole new character in the last book.

teadude said:
But thats the whole magic of it. The fact that it could be Regulas Black is way to simple to figure out. JKR would never make anything that easy. Also no one knows Regulas' middle name, it could be Etchcroft for all we know and that wouldn't fit the 'A' in the middle.
What do you mean, it wouldn't be that easy to figure out? I'm sorry, but although Rowling is an entertaining read and all, she's very transparent, and her characters aren't too bright (with the sole exceptions of Dumbledore and Hermione). It takes them forever to notice things the rest of us pick up on right away. ESPECIALLY Harry.
And anyway, you're talking like you already know his middle name doesn't start with an "A" when it's possible that it is. Besides the initials, the things we know about Black tell us that in all likelihood, he was the one who stole the Horcrux.

As far as I'm aware, JKR has already admitted that RAB is Regulus - there was so much fan speculation over it that in the early autumn she let her readers know that they had got that much right. I'll see if I can hunt out the interview or whatever.

The following is a quote from the famous Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview last summer - Melissa Anelli questioning JKR on RAB - if it was Regulus, as suspected:

Rowling: "Well, I think that would be, um, a fine guess.".
Melissa: "Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but was Regulus the one who was murdered by Voldemort?"
Rowling: "Well Sirius said he wouldn't have been because he wasn't important enough, remember?"
Melissa: "But that doesn’t have to be true, if [R.A.B.] is writing Voldemort a personal note."
Rowling: "That doesn't necessarily show that Voldemort killed him, personally, but Sirius himself suspected that Regulus got in a little too deep. Like Draco. He was attracted to it, but the reality of what it meant was way too much to handle."

It's not dead on confirmatory, I know, but my vote is with Regulus.

Yes it still could be Regulas, but she said Um... That would be a fine GUESS. Meaning good guess but sorry your wrong. It might not be like that, this is just what I think.

LOL. That's funny. I catch things like that occasionally. Like the whole thing with the centaurs in the first book going, "Mars is bright tonight"--we all just thought they were weird. Then in the fifth book, the one centaur says Mars means war, and it happens to be over Harry's head.

That "um" is something teachers do a lot. You know, when they ask you a question and you get it right, and they don't want to outright tell you it's right because they want to surprise/impress the rest of the class later with the answer.

Yep, that's pretty cool :) Though, having majored in Comparative lit I happened to know about Mars when the centaurs first mentioned it... how it is connected with war/violence (the Roman god of war) so I knew that they were talking about some kind of evil afoot. I never connected it with the astronomy lesson episode in the 5th book before though.

KristoCat said:
Yep, that's pretty cool :) Though, having majored in Comparative lit I happened to know about Mars when the centaurs first mentioned it... how it is connected with war/violence (the Roman god of war) so I knew that they were talking about some kind of evil afoot. I never connected it with the astronomy lesson episode in the 5th book before though.
I kind of thought they were using it as an excuse in book 1. I mean, I knew Mars was the god of war, but it hadn't connected in my mind. I figured it out in book 5. I'm slow sometimes. ^-^

Back