• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Has anyone read the "Uncut" version of Stephen King's "The Stand"?

Kwitel

Ive read the original cut verison (about 20 yrs ago) and I remembered loving it. Now theres the uncut version whihc is about 400 pages longer.

Is it worth reading the longer, uncut version or should I just try and get a hold on a used copy of the original?

I have read the un-cut version more than once. I have never read the reduced version so I can not compare the two. But I would say, it would be worth investing the time to read it and actually one of my 2012 reading goals is to read The Stand (un-cut version) once again.

I read the original version when it came out, and have the new and improved, uncut version on order. Prolly get to it next month.

I read the original version when it came out, and have the new and improved, uncut version on order. Prolly get to it next month.

"new and improved"?

All I keep hearing and reading is that the extra 400 pages are a load of unnecessary info that were originally taken out by the editors for a reason...

I cant find the original anywhere!

"new and improved"?

All I keep hearing and reading is that the extra 400 pages are a load of unnecessary info that were originally taken out by the editors for a reason...

I cant find the original anywhere!

According to the bits of news I've read about the new version, King considers it improved. He is a good enough story teller for me to believe it.

Re the original version, I suppose you have tried second hand book stores? Maybe Amazon Marketplace? That's probably the only source now.

I have read the Uncut Version!

While I thought it was great, I do remember thinking that either Mr. King or his editor didn't pay too close attention when the revisions were put in place. The story originally took place in the late 70s/early 80s, but when the uncut version was published in 1990 the story's time period was altered to the year 1990 too.

Which is okay, except some of the stuff mentioned in the book (war and politics, the price for gas, how much you'd pay a babysitter, etc) didn't make any sense for the newly established year...because they weren't updated with everything else! And it's pretty distracting too, but at least that's only a problem in the beginning of the book (as far as I can remember).

I own the Uncut Edition, and I do plan on reading it again...but I gotta admit, I'm tempted to track down the original 1978 version to judge for myself which one is the better book.

I'm in the middle of it now! I've been reading it for quite some time now. I love it. I've never read the original abridged version, so I don't have anything to compare it to though. But I would say it's definitely worth the read (if you can find the time.)

Back