• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

has there been any movie that was......

There is always some difference between my imagination of a book and the film on which it's adapated. I just have to accept it! ;)

The movie color purple disappointed me the other day as I got to watch it on TV, though i had to say that the structure/frame of the picture and its purpleish background were pretty nice.

Harry Potter series were ok, because I liked Danial and his glasses in the first flim (though I agreed that he did not know how to play), and the music in the 3rd one, the sound of which added points to itself, except that I really did not like that actor who played Professor Dumbledore. :mad:

watercrystal said:
except that I really did not like that actor who played Professor Dumodor--spelling? :mad:

It was Michael Gambon who played Dumbledore in the third film.

Halo said:
It was Michael Gambon who played Dumbledore in the third film.

oh. :D

English patient, the book and the moive tied, IMO. well, honestly, the movie was slightly better in that the male leading player had the eyes that was as much penetrating as his love.

English_Patient_Oscar_Advert_03.jpg

dragonsoldier15 said:
has there been any movie that was better than the book? If there is can you please tell me because i want to see for myself:cool:

Yes--"Deliverance". Only one I can think of.

dragonsoldier15 said:
ok i star wars was good exacmple but imagination can only go so far when it comes to imagining spaceships and futre technology. all i know is that if a movie is better at repesenting imagination than we can produce ourselves then it would be better. am i right?:cool:

Are you right? Difficult to tell. What did you say?

Oberon said:
Posted this on a similar thread: "M*A*S*H" succeeded both as a movie and series better than the book.

Wow. The book must have been REALLY bad. I had to walk out of the movie. Time better spent in the park, watching the pigeons.

Stephen said:
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk, the book is good but it is one of the rare occasions where the film is better than the book.

Yep, nothing like making anti-consumerism a mainstream tenet. ;)

Sun-SSS said:
Are you right? Difficult to tell. What did you say?

i think he means that if the director and writer has better imagination than you and sucessfully reflex it on the movie, since his vision about the book its better than yours, it may appear to you that the movie its better than the book

in other words if you while reading the lord of the rings you imagine the orcs to be gorillas and the fellowship to be the scooby gang, probably you would be way to impressed by peter jackson's movie. ;)

watercrystal said:
oh. :D

English patient, the book and the moive tied, IMO. well, honestly, the movie was slightly better in that the male leading player had the eyes that was as much penetrating as his love

I thought that the ending in the book of the English patient was so much better though :)

Generally movies based on books tend to lose something, but the same can be said about books made after the movie (to cash in). Take a look at a lot of those spin off titles out there.

Anyway, movies other than fight club that I thought were better than the original books:

Godfather - The book reads like a first draft, whilst the film's the final version.
The Shining - I'm not sure about this one. Kubrick's version is very different to King's version, but they're both good in different ways.
Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind - Well the book put me to sleep.
Goldfinger - One of Flemming's weakest books

I must disagree with you about The Shining. I was so disappointed with the first movie. It didn't go into the why's of the characters' behaviors or the complexity of the relationship between the boy and the black man (it has been a while, my memory is a bit fuzzy). It is like the director went for all the shock and gore, and left everything else out. And the ending was just bad.

mr_michel said:
i think he means that if the director and writer has better imagination than you and sucessfully reflex it on the movie, since his vision about the book its better than yours, it may appear to you that the movie its better than the book

in other words if you while reading the lord of the rings you imagine the orcs to be gorillas and the fellowship to be the scooby gang, probably you would be way to impressed by peter jackson's movie. ;)

Thank you mr michael. Quite enlightening. A magic moment, in fact. I fell off my chair, but don't worry, I'm too grateful to want to sue anyone.

gallagher672003 said:
Its widely accepted that The Godfather is far superior to the book.

Yep. I started reading the book after watching the movie and was like what!!! Forget this!!! and never picked it up again.

Well i agree with all those who said the Fight Club adaptation was better than the book. But i disagree with them in one point, i thought the book was weak! I even read it twice to find something good in it, but i came to the conclusion, that it just isn't a good book :( !

As someone already mentioned, another example is The Thin Red Line.

A prime example where the movie is way better and stronger than the book is Dances with Wolves. The author wasn't able to catch the mood and the impact of those powerful pictures. Yeah, he tried to describe the landscape, but it wasn't nearly as strong as seen on screen.

I think it's unfair to say that Blade Runner is a weak adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, because the movie is actually just very loosely based on the novel. I don't consider Blade Runner as an adaptation at all, the same goes for Naked Lunch.

Stand By Me was better than The Body. Actually, I think all the movies that came from King's Different Seasons were better than those short stories.

Someone Like You is a silly and cute romantic comedy staring Hugh Jackman and Ashley Judd. The book it was based on, Animal Husbandry, just plain sucks. It is the only book I have ever put down with no intention of picking it back up. In fact, if I knew where it was I would probably use it to start a campfire this summer (something I would NEVER normally do). :mad:

Back