• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have you ever.....

Heavenly days! :eek:

I belong to a couple of fora where we accidentally drove everybody who didn't agree with our political views away, but nobody has actually died, to my knowledge. It can be boring to belong to a forum wherein everybody agrees with everybody else. I quite miss the ones who abandoned ship.

At first I was shocked because normally I don't expect people to fall over dead no matter how much I wish it. Turns out he had a weak heart and his impending death had been heralded yeard before.

Remind me not to annoy you, Jemima Aslana! :D

I am grateful there's no rule against being moronic! Sometimes I flub up and say the dumbest things. What should be against the rules (and is here) is hatefulness. We all have our own worldviews and individual points of view, and that's wonderful. The very reason we're here is to exchange ideas and hopefully grow a little in the process. Of course there will be differences of opinion and values; that's what makes a forum such as this worth my time.

We all have individual thoughts and like abec said, we will show our bad sides from time to time.:eek: I have a tendency to things to personally and try to be passive-aggressive towards others, but the beauty of a well-managed site is that people put with you, no matter what your flaws are. I've seen certain boards where unless you followed the "official" view on things, you were essentially drummed out.:rolleyes: The beauty of this board is that there isn't a pressure to conform to some standard, some ultimate high point as dictated by a member or two.

abecedarian said:
I am grateful there's no rule against being moronic! Sometimes I flub up and say the dumbest things. What should be against the rules (and is here) is hatefulness. We all have our own worldviews and individual points of view, and that's wonderful. The very reason we're here is to exchange ideas and hopefully grow a little in the process. Of course there will be differences of opinion and values; that's what makes a forum such as this worth my time.
Amen!!!! I couldn't agree more.

I was trying to be nice to a person recently but obviously my post was moronic, :) which is not unusual for me. It does matter to me though.

Jemima Aslana said:
It was all so bad that I honestly wished the guy dead. He died about 6 months later - I mentally cheered, because he really was an arse, he cost me a really nice friendship and much stress and strife.
There, that was it, you may all berate me now.

We've all had terrible thoughts. But some things are much better left unsaid -and that is one of them.

SFG75 said:
The beauty of this board is that there isn't a pressure to conform to some standard, some ultimate high point as dictated by a member or two.
Absolutely. It was touch and go for a bit a little while ago for me, personally, but thankfully that passed when the members I had issues with moved on. The one thing I can't stand is snobbery. If you have an issue with one member, it's pretty easy to just avoid them. If you take issue with a group or clique then it gets more difficult. Personally I don't like logging on to a forum and wondering if I've been flamed for sounding moronic or stupid just because I express my opinions.

I also love the injection of humour in this forum. It's not all serious discussion, but at the same time you can engage in serious conversations. I find it's a nice balance.

Libre said:
We've all had terrible thoughts. But some things are much better left unsaid -and that is one of them.
That's interesting. That people would be offended for what I thought about that whole thing I could understand. That you think I should pretend to be something I'm not.... that's very interesting, and goes directly against the idea about not comforming the others have just agreed so heartily on.

Very interesting indeed :p

Oh and to the others: Just to clarify, when I mentioned that rule against 'moronity' (hehe) it of course shouldn't apply to people who manage to post a bit of nonsense once in a while - everyone does that. No, I meant it directed at those who never post anything that is not moronic. I haven't actually seen any of those here on TBF, but we get so many of them on IWD it makes me cringe. Probably has to do with this being a forum that has more mature members, whereas IWD gets a lot of 13 year olds who still think they can't be wrong about anything and whos ebiggest troubles in life is how to ask this and that girl/guy out.

@ kook

I totally agree. Humour is what keeps things going for me. If a place is totally without humour it will also soon be totally without me :p I have seen one (thankfully only one) forum where things were so strict that all things funny were edited away. It was sickening - not surprisingly the forum died soon after that new policy had been adopted.

lilbiteb said:
What does Ocky and ni ni mean? :)

Ocky is just a word I use for like "Ew" or "gross" or "nasty." With 2 young kids, that's just what I say. Ni ni is just a shortened version of "Nite, nite!" Again, 2 kids...

blueboatdriver said:
Maybe they just didn't like the colour of your text

Didn't use any colors, then! lol
:p

I've never actually been banned from a forum. I have been at forums where people fight over stupid things. I generally tend to just add something humurous in order to break the tension and depending on their mood they either flame me or settle down. Either way, I don't care. :)

Sure, we all say or do dumb things now and again, myself included.

Oh and to the others: Just to clarify, when I mentioned that rule against 'moronity' (hehe) it of course shouldn't apply to people who manage to post a bit of nonsense once in a while - everyone does that. No, I meant it directed at those who never post anything that is not moronic. I haven't actually seen any of those here on TBF, but we get so many of them on IWD it makes me cringe. Probably has to do with this being a forum that has more mature members, whereas IWD gets a lot of 13 year olds who still think they can't be wrong about anything and whos ebiggest troubles in life is how to ask this and that girl/guy out.
And that's pretty much what I meant in my last post, too. (you didn't see my tongue in cheek??:p )

Kookamoor said:
Absolutely. It was touch and go for a bit a little while ago for me, personally, but thankfully that passed when the members I had issues with moved on. The one thing I can't stand is snobbery. If you have an issue with one member, it's pretty easy to just avoid them..

The good old days of TBF!. Ahhhh, I remember them fondly.:cool: I subscribe to the "I be" philosophy with them. "I be here before you(maybe) and I be here when you go.":D :D

Jemima Aslana said:
That's interesting. That people would be offended for what I thought about that whole thing I could understand. That you think I should pretend to be something I'm not.... that's very interesting, and goes directly against the idea about not comforming the others have just agreed so heartily on.

I never suggested you pretend to be something you are not. I suggested you keep your most terrible thoughts to yourself -except perhaps to your shrink (I hope you have one!). I think it's "interesting" that you see no difference between the two.

That's unless you describe yourself as someone that commonly wishes people dead, and are overjoyed when it happens. Then you're right, you would be pretending you are someone you are not if you don't let us know that right off. I just better make sure I stay off your sh*t list (unless I'm already on it!).

cajunmama said:
Sure, we all say or do dumb things now and again, myself included.

And that's pretty much what I meant in my last post, too. (you didn't see my tongue in cheek??:p )
Oh woops, no, I missed that. I was in a bit of hurry. lol there I went and posted something totally superfluous, eh? Rather moronic :p Ban me!

*chuckles*

Libre said:
I never suggested you pretend to be something you are not. I suggested you keep your most terrible thoughts to yourself -except perhaps to your shrink (I hope you have one!).
I don't, in fact. I don't think I need one for that one episode either. Just because I'm the only one here who has the guts to admit that someone's death might have made the world a better place. I'm pretty sure a lot of people cheer everytime a criminal is executed. Mostly the people who were affecte dby his crimes - does this mean they need shrinks too? Never heard it from that angle myself.

I think it's "interesting" that you see no difference between the two.
I could be all politically correct and conform to standard and say I prefer everyone to live... that would in fact be pretending to be someone I'm not. To remain silent is also said to equate agreement, when in fact I do not agree I voice it. Remaining silent would be pretending I'm someone I'm not, so no, I do in fact not see a difference in this particular case.

That's unless you describe yourself as someone that commonly wishes people dead, and are overjoyed when it happens. Then you're right, you would be pretending you are someone you are not if you don't let us know that right off. I just better make sure I stay off your sh*t list (unless I'm already on it!).
So... one episode can make you think that it describes my entire life. I never said 'commonly' or 'always'. How many people cheered when Iraq fell at the cost of quite some lives? How many people would cheer if Hussein would die? or Bin-Ladin perhaps? There was a person who made life hell for me and others - and I am supposed to be sad when he died? I think not. It was a relief to know he would not spread such hurtful lies about anyone else ever again.

Jemima Aslana said:
I'm pretty sure a lot of people cheer everytime a criminal is executed. Mostly the people who were affecte dby his crimes - does this mean they need shrinks too? Never heard it from that angle myself.
I didn't know "spreading lies" about you and "causing you stress" were criminal acts, in the eyes of the law, and punishable by execution.

Jemima Aslana said:
So... one episode can make you think that it describes my entire life. I never said 'commonly' or 'always'.
You imply it when you tell us that you would be pretending you are someone you are not if you don't tell us about this. In other words, if you don't tell us about this incident, we might mistakenly believe you are someone that does not walk around wishing death to others.

I have no idea if the world is a better place without this individual or not. From what you've told us, the incident was a personal matter between you two - and he committed no crimes against society. Why should I take it on your word - obviously biased - that he deserved to die?

Yes, we've ALL had terrible thoughts - and I go back to my original contention - we don't need to inform the world about them. That is not pretending we are something we are not. It is doing the opposite - it is not giving the impression we are terrible because we had the thought.

Once more - UNLESS - you really are that terrible. I hadn't thought so, but you are going out of your way to convince me I was wrong.

*Puts on moderator's hat*

OK, this thread has gone way off the original subject matter. The arguments, implications about people's characters and personal comments stop right now, please. Any more of this and the comments will be deleted and/or the thread closed. Thank you.

Back