• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from an author

dominicgaj

Hello everyone,

I've just joined and wanted to say hello. My name is Jasan and I am from Melbourne, Australia. I write children's adventure gamebooks for the tween age group (8-12) (similar to the Choose Your Own Adventure/Fighting Fantasy genre). I don't have any in the marketplace yet but will have my first one out later this year.

I have written gamebooks since I was a teenager. I wrote about 15 of them to my friends and family as a hobby and decided to take it up again seriously just recently.

I follow Liverpool in the EPL and have recovered from our Champions League Final loss the other day (but we've won so many trophies in recent years I can't complain) :)

Reading wise, I've enjoyed the Tolkien and Lewis series (not very original I know) and would like to write a fantasy series of my own for older kids later on (10-14 y.o perhaps)

Anyway, I hope to enjoy my time here and thanks for reading.

Not sure about this forum

I must say, this forum seems very light on concerning feedback to posts. I posted a welcome about a week ago and I haven't had a single reply yet. Is this normal? Is it me? (I noticed that almost every other welcome had at least one reply).

Waiting to see what happens.... :confused:

Apologies dominicgaj. I try to respond to a few welcome posts, but we seem to have had an influx of new members as of late, so it becomes hard to spot them all. Please don't feel unwelcome!!

I'm excited to have another Victorian on the board!

I posted a welcome about a week ago and I haven't had a single reply yet. Is this normal?

I personally don't bother with the introductions area as I see it as nothing other than an opportunity to bump up post counts. I occasionally drop in a remark if the introduction is, to my mind, interesting.

I would guess that the reason yours got ignored was because it was titled 'Hello from an author' - a definite turn off, I think. I never even saw it until you brought my attention to it but if I had I would have pounced on it to make sure it wasn't a fluff piece from someone promoting some self-published rubbish.

So, welcome.

Interesting genre there d. You'll have to share some of your stuff in the writing section. Glad to have ya on board.:cool:

They're all lying. Just go home. There's an internal civil war going on. On one side, you have the members of the forum. On the other, you have Manuscript. It's very complicated.

I'm somewhere running around in the background.

welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome lolol...thats great that your a writer!!!!! i LOVE tolkien and cs lewis and i love fantasy but i dont think i could ever write it as it would just be copycat lol...but i love to read it! hope you post what youve written soon! :D:D:D:D

Apologies dominicgaj. I try to respond to a few welcome posts, but we seem to have had an influx of new members as of late, so it becomes hard to spot them all. Please don't feel unwelcome!!

I'm excited to have another Victorian on the board!

Thanks Peronel. Perhaps I have been spoilt by some other forums that I have joined recently that really love to yak. :) but I don't feel unwelcome. (Thinks...I need to be careful when I use a double negative in a sentence...Rethinks...I've said the right thing! Whew!).

I would guess that the reason yours got ignored was because it was titled 'Hello from an author' - a definite turn off, I think. I would guess that the reason yours got ignored was because it was titled 'Hello from an author' - a definite turn off, I think. I never even saw it until you brought my attention to it but if I had I would have pounced on it to make sure it wasn't a fluff piece from someone promoting some self-published rubbish.

Ahhh. Thanks for the heads-up, Stewart. I know now not to do that again, Thanks.

Interesting genre there d. You'll have to share some of your stuff in the writing section. Glad to have ya on board.:cool:

Ah Hah! I've worked out how to multiquote. That will save me some time. I'll have to wander over to the writing section SFG75 and see what's happening over there. I'll definitely have a talk about the gamebook genre and some of the challenges/issues one has to confront when writing it. It's quite different to writing normal books (I find it much more exciting too!)

welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome lolol...thats great that your a writer!!!!! i LOVE tolkien and cs lewis and i love fantasy but i dont think i could ever write it as it would just be copycat lol...but i love to read it! hope you post what youve written soon! :D:D:D:D

I noticed, jcsoblonde that you are reading ROTK. Is this the first time you have read it (i.e. You haven't finished it yet)? Have you seen the films?

As far as posting what I've written I actually won't be able to do that (apart from an extract, though, I suppose) as my publisher wouldn't be too happy about it. ;)

lol no i didnt mean posting the ENTIRE book:p :p though heeeey...:cool: that would be nice! LOL but yeah it would be neat to see how you write as in extracts...how many books do you think you would like to write? as for the return of the king no this isnt my first time...i have lost count of how many times i have read it :p :D i have seen the films...they were pretty good tho there were some things i didnt like *cough cough-faramir:( ) but yeah the books are better of course...thats the way it always is :)

it would be neat to see how you write as in extracts...how many books do you think you would like to write?

I have an extract for my first book in the writer's showcase thread here that you can have a look at if you like.

As far as how many books I would like to write, well....... if the Lord allows me to write till I am gone from this earth, I would be pleased. At this point in time, I have about enough stories running around in my head that would fill around 20 books at the moment. That will keep me busy to start with. 40% of the final draft of my second book is completed as I speak.

Jasan.

Back