• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from Ireland

LaGs

Hi my name is Ryan and i'm 20 years old. :)

It feels a bit strange making a thread such as this as it's not something i would normally do, but i think this is a great forum with people having very similar interests to mine.

I noticed you have a 'writer's showcase' section which i have found to be really interesting. In all honesty much of what i have read on there is a lot of dribble, but it is good to see people displaying what they have a real passion for; or at least giving it a bit of a go because they simply enjoy it.

I'll be honest. At the minute i'm stuck in university, doing a law degree for which i have absolutely no passion for. I couldn't care less about it. In a way, i do it to keep up appearances. I hardly ever go to class. Its not something i'm proud of. But I wake up every day thinking about writing. Weirdly, i feel it's what i'm meant to be doing. I keep a journal where i write some short stories, some poems. None of it is coherent; it's scatter-brained. However when i read a lot of books, i'm always conscious of how it is structured in the hope that if I ever come to writing a novel myself, i won't be a complete stranger to it.

Do you think this is a stupid and ridiculous mind-set to have?

It would be good to hear back from people in terms of their opinions on the 'writer's showcase' section in particular. Like, do you think this would be an appropriate medium to maybe get a bit of decent feedback from people?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Hello LaGs welcome to the forum.

I don't think your mindset is that stupid. I say go for it as to writing and/or displaying some of your stories and poems. I don't visit the "writers showcase" too much on the forum but I know many do.
As for you attending classes for something you don't have any desire for, seems to me that is a waste of time. But, you never know maybe exposing yourself to that subject will give you further insight to fuel your creative scribble.
good luck

and again welcome

Welcome.

LaGs said:
I noticed you have a 'writer's showcase' section which i have found to be really interesting. In all honesty much of what i have read on there is a lot of dribble, but it is good to see people displaying what they have a real passion for; or at least giving it a bit of a go because they simply enjoy it.
This is mainly a reading forum but some members might give you helpful advice. Lately, a lot posted are excerpts from self published authors, the majority not very good. If you search older posts you can find some hidden gems of stories, poems, and writing exercises.

LaGs said:
At the minute i'm stuck in university, doing a law degree for which i have absolutely no passion for...I hardly ever go to class. Its not something i'm proud of. But I wake up every day thinking about writing.
No one here is qualified to advise but you may have heard the line "follow your bliss".

See you 'round the forum.

Dear Ryan,

It's absolutely not stupid. I think the writers showcase is at least 1 way of getting some feedback. Check out other avenues as well, though. Try Authorsden or Issuu, those are great writing communities.

I do think you need something like your school, though, if only to get some grounding. I studied marketing (boring as well), but it helps me now getting my writing out there. And also, the colleagues I have met in my day job have inspired some of my most telling characters (for good and bad). You need some link to everyday life.

At least, this helped for me.

Good Luck,

Marcel

Hi Ryan, welcome to BAR!

Like Occlith said, even though our members may not be the more qualified to give you writing advice, I'm sure you'll get feedback from a reader's perspective.

Back