• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from New Zealand

StillILearn said:
Welcome, Poppy. I like Wodehouse too. :)

Hello StillLearn. Yes hasn't he got the cleverest turn of phrase. Am tempted to change my signature to "If not actually disgruntled he was far from being gruntled" (or she as the case may be.) Librarian - my dream job. Am going to have to look up the meaning of autodidactic philomath.:confused: :)

StillILearn said:
Welcome, Poppy. I like Wodehouse too. :)

Hello StillLearn. Yes hasn't he got the cleverest turn of phrase. Am tempted to change my signature to "If not actually disgruntled he was far from being gruntled" (or she as the case may be.) Librarian - my dream job. Am going to have to look up the meaning of autodidactic philomath.:confused: :)

Poppy1 said:
Hi MonkeyCatcher. :) Nice to see you too. I come from the Nelson area - out in the country, towards Motueka. ( They say we have accents:eek: - have you noticed ?:D )
I've only been to Nelson once, and just for a quick stop-off on my way to Picton, but I didn't notice any accent, if that makes you feel any better :D

Poppy & MonkeyCatcher-What's "Kiwi"? Yes, I know it's a fruit, but slang for a fellow 'Zealander?:confused:

SFG75 said:
Poppy & MonkeyCatcher-What's "Kiwi"? Yes, I know it's a fruit, but slang for a fellow 'Zealander?:confused:
The Kiwi is NZ's national animal. It's native to NZ and is flightless. Here's a pic:

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_kiwi.jpg

Kiwi is also used as slang for a New Zealander, yes (this is the way in which we were using it, obviously). It's like calling an American a Yank.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I've only been to Nelson once, and just for a quick stop-off on my way to Picton, but I didn't notice any accent, if that makes you feel any better :D

Thank you for the reassurance, MonkeyCatcher. I've been practicing "How now brown cow " ever since.

Good description of Kiwis. Perhaps I could add that there is a N.Z. joke.
What is the definition of a male Kiwi?
Answer: It eats, shoots, and leaves.

Wow, New Zealand. o_O. Well, I guess you have the pleasure of knowing the cast of Lord of the Rings is grateful to you, eh? Man, that's far away from me.
Anywho, welcome to the forum. I am Kat and I live deep within the heart of La La Land, although I have been known to occasionally take residence in midwestern America. XD. Hope you enjoy your time here as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Thanks for the welcome Valkyrie. I think there was a comment made that most of New Zealand's population had been involved somewhere in the making of The Lord of the Rings.:D And yes this forum is a lot of fun - very addictive tho'

Back