• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from Russia!

Sergo said:
…I hope to be able to see this change in her taste when she is twenty one...
By the time your daughter is 21 you’ll be too busy worrying how you can finance her year at an American university to care what her taste is.
Sergo said:
You know, the major difference between our cultures is that we learned first about soap-operas only fifteen years ago or so. Because of that nearly 100% of population have experience of watching "Santa-Barbara", "Izaura the slave woman", "My second mother". I got fed up with it in the middle of "Santa-Barbara"...
British soap-operas tend to be about ordinary people, and are sometimes quite funny. I don’t watch them myself though..

Kenny Shovel said:
By the time your daughter is 21 you’ll be too busy worrying how you can finance her year at an American university to care what her taste is.

Yep, sure, how naive I am...

British soap-operas tend to be about ordinary people, and are sometimes quite funny. I don’t watch them myself though..

Thanks to "Santa Barbara", I am immune to soap-operas. We have our own now, of course, but I somehow manage without them.

BTW, I have downloaded the Berezovsky film on Friday. Though, I wouldn't try it again in my office: our guru says that meaty downloads are hard on our server, and as this torrent is a mutual-shared program, other guys have downloaded more than 700MB of this film from my computer during my own downloading of the 344MB... So total upload/download figure goes higher than 1GB, and that's too much, I fear...
So next time I will try to do it at home.
And I have really seen about 25% of the film already...

Sergo said:
BTW, I have downloaded the Berezovsky film on Friday. Though, I wouldn't try it again in my office: our guru says that meaty downloads are hard on our server, and as this torrent is a mutual-shared program, other guys have downloaded more than 700MB of this film from my computer during my own downloading of the 344MB... So total upload/download figure goes higher than 1GB, and that's too much, I fear...
So next time I will try to do it at home.
And I have really seen about 25% of the film already...
You'll need to load it up over night if you're doing it at home. Oh well, good luck with it anyway.

Kenny Shovel said:
You'll need to load it up over night if you're doing it at home. Oh well, good luck with it anyway.

Yep, it took about 6 or 7 hours only - not too much.
Thanks.:)

(Too bad the possibility to edit the message ends so quickly - I've forgot to insert /qutes in the proper places in the previous one, and it's closed for editing already...)

Sergo said:
Yes, our dachas... Really, we, city people, have three variety of country property:
1. Cottage. Usually it is a big house or houses, quite expensive and well equipped, sitting on a nice peace of land, situated not too far from the city;
2. Dacha, there are very wide range of dachas, very differently equipped, situated from several hundred meters to several hundred kilometers from a city. Pieces of land could be from 600 sq. m. to several hectares, if far enough from a city;
3. Ogorod - a small piece of land for growing vegetables sometimes with a small shanty cabin on it.
So our country home should be considered a dacha too.

Your dachas sound very much like our summer cottages, also we have some sheds where you dont spend the night, but usually stay during the day and grow vegetables in the small garden. They were made in the old days, for people in the cities to get a place where they could get some fresh air and enjoy flowers etc.

Sergo said:
Oh, it is not too difficult to imagine:
For example, I was born after nearly 50 years since the revolution, which made Christ illegal. So it were my parents who never really celebrated Xmas in accordance with our old ways. Now it is not illegal to be a christian any more, but I think it is not good to shift one ideas back and forth, like they call us: "One!" and we run to church, then "Two!" and we demolish churches, then "Three!" - and we run to rebuild and pray furiously. To have two such moves in one's life is not healthy.
And our churches are surely beautiful.
I understand what you mean by going from one thing to another. Its just hard for me to imagine no xmas as I have been brought up with xmas, it has always been in my life.

Sergo said:
Oh, I cannot consider that as art. It is more like craft...
I liked your craft/art very much and so did my son.

I have read your post on the thread about how to pronounce Dostoevsky and like many people in here, I was waiting for you to reply. :D
but I am not sure, do I say Dasta Evsky ?? In danish we say Dos to jev skij.
(Cant wait till I get this Russian film, then I shall listen to russian for days and just maybe I would pick up a thing or two)

I have a week holieday now so I shall relax and enjoy xmas with lots of good food wine presents etc. Hope you have a nice time too with your family.
Flower

Kenny,
Do you speak russian? Or are you a secret KGB agent dressed up as an englishmen? ;)
I loove the language and wouldnt mind being able to understand and talk russain.

Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
Your dachas sound very much like our summer cottages, also we have some sheds where you dont spend the night, but usually stay during the day and grow vegetables in the small garden. They were made in the old days, for people in the cities to get a place where they could get some fresh air and enjoy flowers etc.
OK, so they are really very much the same. And these sheds on small pieces of land looks like ours that are erected on our ogorods. Though ours look so ugly sometimes, made of pieces of corrugated steel, rotten plywood and carton...

Flowerdk4 said:
I liked your craft/art very much and so did my son.

Thanks, I like it too. Too bad I do not time enough for it now.
Flowerdk4 said:
I have read your post on the thread about how to pronounce Dostoevsky and like many people in here, I was waiting for you to reply. :D
but I am not sure, do I say Dasta Evsky ?? In danish we say Dos to jev skij.
(Cant wait till I get this Russian film, then I shall listen to russian for days and just maybe I would pick up a thing or two)
I think you say it right too. It is that we, who live in Moscow, speak slightly different from other Russians. But we all ARE Russians, so it is right to say it both ways.
Flowerdk4 said:
I have a week holieday now so I shall relax and enjoy xmas with lots of good food wine presents etc. Hope you have a nice time too with your family.
Flower

Thanks, but I still have a week of work ahead of me, and six trucks still not cleared...

Hi Sergo
I dont have much to report back. I enjoy my holieday by staying late in bed in the mornings and reading books underneath a blanket.
We have got snow over here now. They talk about a snow storm tomorrow. All the kids are happy of course, out playing in the snow.
Think I shall look around for a way to start learning russian in the spring. Would be great to at least understand a little when I get to go to Sct. Petersborg.
Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
Hi Sergo
I dont have much to report back. I enjoy my holieday by staying late in bed in the mornings and reading books underneath a blanket.
We have got snow over here now. They talk about a snow storm tomorrow. All the kids are happy of course, out playing in the snow.
Think I shall look around for a way to start learning russian in the spring. Would be great to at least understand a little when I get to go to Sct. Petersborg.
Flower

"Underneath a blanket"? That's how my daughter does it sometimes, when she should be sleeping.
We have lots of snow too - I think I'll send you some winter photos some day... (I forgot our camera at our dacha).
Great, though Russian seems to be a very difficult language for foreigners...

Flowerdk4 said:
Kenny,
Do you speak russian? Or are you a secret KGB agent dressed up as an englishmen? ;)
I loove the language and wouldnt mind being able to understand and talk russain.

Flower

I speak about 200 words or so. Most of the Russians I know speak good English and want to practise it with me, so that feeds into my general lazyness.
I have no contact with any Intelligence agencies, perhaps no contact with intelligence itself...

Hi Sergo!
I just read in the newspaper today, that you cannot drink outside in Moscow tonight!
Hope you have a nice new years eve anyway and get some nice champagne with your family.
Flower

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b299_FlowerDK_DenRdePlads.jpg

Kenny Shovel said:
I speak about 200 words or so. Most of the Russians I know speak good English and want to practise it with me, so that feeds into my general lazyness.
I have no contact with any Intelligence agencies, perhaps no contact with intelligence itself...

Oh, so you speak more words than I do. I think I know 4 words in russain. I have ordered the dvd with the film "the Idiot" from the novel by Dostojevsky. Its in russian with english subtitles, so I would problably learn a few more words.
I trust you have contact with a intelligence somewhere with all the creative and cool form of humour you tend to be able to express. I am still wondering "where on earth does he get it from" :D

Flowerdk4 said:
Oh, so you speak more words than I do. I think I know 4 words in Russian. I have ordered the DVD with the film "the Idiot" from the novel by Dostoevsky. Its in Russian with English subtitles, so I would probably learn a few more words.
Unfortunately you will need to learn Russian Grammar as well as vocabulary, without the grammar (in particular how the endings of words change depending on how they are used) you'll not make much progress. Sergo can explain this better than me...

Kenny Shovel said:

Kenny, I like your sense of humor very much. Every Intelligence agency would love to have such an intelligent person with them.

Back