• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello - I'm a newbie from Canada

RhondaGivings

Greetings to all - I read lots and lots although that might change a little bit as the weather gets warmer and I get out in the garden. I like mysteries, thrillers, action fiction, legal and court novels, don't have a favourite book as an adult but still fondly think of my one favourite when younger which was The Wind in the Willows - just a bit nostalgic for yesterday's years now that our kids have grown up and they now have grandchildren. There aren't any book discussion groups in my vicinity so hope to hear about other folks' preference in reading through the forum. Happy reading and a special hello to the UK members as I'm a former Brit and now a Canadian. Momac

Thanks for the welcome brk 3 - I guess your weather is quite a bit warmer than ours - hope to meet up with you again on BAR. momac

Welcome to BAR! =)

I didn't read The Wind in the Willows until I was nearly 40. I enjoyed it. Always wondered about Badger's subterranean house. Who built that? How long ago? There was a story there...

-David

Hi David - thanks for responding - don't know about badger's subterranean house - I just always felt so cozy reading about the little critters. I see you have written a book -congrats to you - always wished I had enough imagination to write a book. Took some creative writing classes and enjoyed them but only came up with short, short stories. I used to like writing poetry, some kiddie stuff and then some really dark endeavours when we lost a son. Didn't write much of anything after that. However, I love to read and really appreciate that so many people write great novels to keep me entertained of a cold winter's evening. What have you written besides The Summoning Fire? When I was some years younger I read a lot of Stephen King and younger than that I read vampire stories which scared me if I happened to be at home by myself. Well, I'll sign off before this turns into a longer ramble. momac

I'm a newbie.....

Thanks for the welcome Tai Mai Shu. Finding it interesting - my first time in a book forum so still navigating by trial and error. momac

Hello Again All African Books: Canada is great - we have been here since 1953 from England. Weather has been cold until recently but now Spring has brought some warmer weather and we can get out into the garden. I read all the time - mostly in the evening as I feel guilty if I don't do some chores around the house. I like just about everything mystery, thriller, crime, police, like English detective stories, counter terrorism stories, naval, sometimes romantic fiction if it's a good plot and not too much of the steamy stuff. How about you - does all African Books mean no other genre? momac

Welcome canadian! :) Where in Canada are you from? I've been to British Columbia and a little bit of Alberta, very pretty country :)

RainbowGurl - from Canuck

Hello RainbowGurl: I used to live in British Columbia - that's where I met my husband and we had our children. Lived there for 25 years then hubby was transferred to Ontario. British Columbia is beautiful with the mountains, water, etc. and Ontario is really nice too. More rolling countryside rather than mountainous. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. momac :flowers:

Hello Momac,

I love 'Wind in the Willows' too! I read it to lots of my children and there is one bit we read by the fire every Christmas Eve. Do you remember the part where Ratty and Mole are coming back from the woods in the snow? They came through the village in the evening and then as they went through the fields Mole smells his old home and Ratty didn't understand and wouldn't stop, but all ends well with a merry time in Mole's home and the mice came to sing carols and they all had a jolly feast.
I live in Canada now too, on an island off the West coast.

Hi Giffen: Nice to hear from you. Have been to Saltspring on a day trip and my Mum and Dad used to have a piece of property on Gabriola so am kind of familiar with a couple of the islands. I do love The Wind in the Willows, have my copy in the bookcase. It always makes me feel cozy - don't remember the particular scene you're asking about but I'll have a look again - it's been a while since I picked it up. When you say you now live in Canada - where did you live before? We're hoping the weather here in Ontario picks up pretty soon, had so much rain it feels like monsoon season. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. momac

Hi again Momac,
I was born on the islands but grew up in several places, mostly in England as my people were English. Yup, I did the whole all girls school/uniforms/tuck-shop/punting things. I loved England, and it’s plethora of tiny secondhand book shops! I remember finding ‘The Tanglewoods Secret’ and loving it (bought with my lunch money as so many of my books were as child!) and discovering Nevil Shute’s ‘Trustee from the Tool Room’. I read all his books, I loved the love for his fellow man that flows through his writing.
I went to University there, but there just wasn’t the freedom for my children that I had had, rambling, sailing and exploring on my own, except for my dogs, so I packed up the hubby and children and came home. How about you, why did you leave?

I'm a newbie.......

Hello again Giffen: We emigrated to Canada from England in 1953 - Dad, Mum, 2 sisters and a brother. Dad thought that Canada held a brighter future for all of us in Canada so that's what happened. Still have a fondness for all things U.K. and went back there in 1987 and 2002 with hubby for a trip. Are you on Vancouver Island rather than one of the Gulf Islands? Hope you find lots to read wherever you are. I'm currently reading Ebenezer Le May about a man's life on the Island of Guernsey. It's slow going as the book has such small print and I find my eyes get tired but I intersperse other books with it. momac :flowers:

Back