• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello!!

Definitely got to work on changing the penguins outfit. Christmas was sooooooo months ago.:cool:

Hiya Kook! Care to share your view on the difference between Canada and Oz? Love to know.

novella

Hmm, not too much to tell regarding 'travels'. I was doing some postgrad study in Canada for the past couple of years and finally came back to Oz to start working for the Man. I've been in Canada off and on for the past five years and my partner is a Canuck, so the differences between the two are somewhat blurred for me now. Here's some observations, though:

• 'Cold' in Canada means it's freezing outside and toasty warm inside. 'Cold' in Australia means it's uncomfortably chilly everywhere 'cos our insulation sucks.
  • When in Canada, never ask where a jumper or beanie is, and never "whack on" a pair of pants.
  • Australians and Canadians both reckon they can drink more, but beer tastes equally bad in both countries.
  • There's no spiced rum in Australia :(, but Cadbury chocolate is far superior in Australia.
  • Canadians are as surprised to hear there's an Australia Day, as Australians are to hear there's a Canada Day.
  • Canadians are generally divided into those who are 'sporty' and those who are not. Australians seem to have more of a gradual change between the two categories, and most are willing to "give it a whirl" no matter the physical activity.
  • Australians seem to be more proud of their 'local' music and actors than Canadians.
  • Canada has (or potentially had - I left on election day and haven't experienced Mr Harper's regime) more of a backbone than Australia when it comes to political choices both domestically and internationally.
  • I never met a Canadian who knew what netball was.
  • I could buy a house outside my old Canadian town for well under $AU100 000. I can't even consider a house here for less than $AU300 000. Crazy!

MonkeyCatcher said:
Welcome back, Kook! :D

What do they call beanies then?
Toques.

It's pronounced 'took', ryming with spook. It's from the French-Canadian word 'tuque'.

Thanks for the welcome back, everyone. Lovely to be back in the superior hemisphere! :p

Back