• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello :)

Arabian Gurl

Hello Everyone..
I'm Meera.. I'm a new member.. Of course I truly enjoy Reading...
I Speak in Arabic and English.. I'm From the United Arab Emirates... I Live in Dubai
I May be the first Arab in here I have no idea

If you are wondering how I knew this forum, Well Thanks to Google
I Hope you guys welcome me in here ..

Arabian gurl

Welcome to the forum!

We do have a Lebanese and Saudi member. I can't remember their monikers right off the top of my head, but if you do a search, I'm certain you could perhaps send a kind note.

Ahleen Meera! :)
As SFG75 said, I'm the Lebanese dude here...:rolleyes:
Welcome to the forum and I'm glad another Arab has joined the forum, there is a lack of Arab readers.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :D
Happy posting ...

:) Pleased to hear that.
So, Meera, tell me, what kind of books you like reading?

Hmm .. Mostly Fiction and Some Non-Fiction
This Year is My First Year Of a Lot Of Reading ..
I Reallly have a Crush On Books ;)

I've Read Mostly Chick Lits ..
I haven't Read Much Since im Only 14 :) ..

the Last Three Books i've Read
The Undomestic Goddes
The Five People You meet in heaven
Princess *Half way Through it*

What about you ?

Hmm .. Mostly Fiction and Some Non-Fiction
This Year is My First Year Of a Lot Of Reading ..
I Reallly have a Crush On Books ;)

I've Read Mostly Chick Lits ..
I haven't Read Much Since im Only 14 :) ..

the Last Three Books i've Read
The Undomestic Goddes
The Five People You meet in heaven
Princess *Half way Through it*

What about you ?

It's good that you are reading a lot. Make full use of it, since it's an excellent time. For me, I'm not reading much (unless in vacation) because of university studies.

I love mystery and I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie. I love science-ficition and some ficition. I also love reading about World War II and civilizations. Sometimes I read a book that I have no idea about, a process of discovery :rolleyes: .

It's good that you are reading a lot. Make full use of it, since it's an excellent time. For me, I'm not reading much (unless in vacation) because of university studies.

I love mystery and I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie. I love science-ficition and some ficition. I also love reading about World War II and civilizations. Sometimes I read a book that I have no idea about, a process of discovery :rolleyes: .

Oh Good Luck with your studies.. And Yea its a very good time since I have nothing to do.. It Kills me when I start reading things about War or civilizations which I know nothing about and Just don't understand a word I'm reading .. but sometimes I do convince myself to read stuff like that some how educate myself and learn useful stuff other than Fiction.. But I End up Returning the Book to my Friend ..

I'll Read'em Some day ;) You know what i mean :p

Ahleen Meera! :)
As SFG75 said, I'm the Lebanese dude here...:rolleyes:
Welcome to the forum and I'm glad another Arab has joined the forum, there is a lack of Arab readers.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :D
Happy posting ...

Sorry for the hazy memory Samerron, I do remember that you had a good number of thoughtful posts. How's life in the jewel of the Middle East?:)

Arabian Gurl--Arabian/Muslim history is fascinating. I'm particularly drawn to Sufi writings and in particular, to anything written by Jalaladin Rumi. Chinese/eastern history is a bit problematic interest wise for me. Getting all of the empires, and names correct can be a bit of a challenge from time to time.

Sorry for the hazy memory Samerron, I do remember that you had a good number of thoughtful posts. How's life in the jewel of the Middle East?:)

It's ok SFG75...Life is good here in Lebanon (I'm assuming here that by saying jewel of the Middle East, you're refering to Lebanon. :p) The situation is a bit calm for the past couple of months, hoping it stays like that. There are some rumors that there might be another war in the summer, but I hope not.
The lights are currently spotted on Iran and Iraq!

It Kills me when I start reading things about War or civilizations which I know nothing about and Just don't understand a word I'm reading .. but sometimes I do convince myself to read stuff like that some how educate myself and learn useful stuff other than Fiction.. But I End up Returning the Book to my Friend ..

I'll Read'em Some day ;) You know what i mean :p

Sounds to me like you need some well-placed historical fiction or biographies. They really help me understand time periods, people, places, and events in ways textbooks can not. Just recently I read Pride of Carthage: A Novel of Hannibal by David Anthony Durham and learned a lot about the Carthaginians I never knew before.

Welcome, Meera! I'd actually like to visit Dubai...I saw a special about it on TV and it looked like a fascinating place. I'm definitely planning on learning Arabic, though, because I plan on working in Egypt after college.

You're not the first Arab on here, although I don't think there are very many. The more, the merrier. It's nice to have a diverse group.

SFG75 Oh, Thanks For Your advice its so nice of you .. You would help me more if you suggest some Tittles or so .. I Could check them out :p

abecedarian ooooooh Thank you .. I Would check that book out as well .. Its always Exciting to Learn new things .. it would also Boost our General knowledge and Stuff ..

ValkyrieRaven88 Dubai is absolutely awesome, But its dry and TOO HOT, if ur planning for a visit, visit in winter for your own good.. The good thing in summer is Tanning on beaches and stuff.. However don’t think of entering a park or walk like at 2 or something only if u desire to be cooked -.- Besides we dont walk alot over here.. although in Dubai you'll have alot of fun ..

Hey Meera,
wow a fellow dubaiite!~
Though i guess i cant call myself than anymore- (sniff, sniff)
havent been there in like 4 years and have heard its changes alot!~
Was there for 7years when i was growing up: and miss it like hell!~
Just being back in the airport- thrills me!~

So ure reading Princess:
I somehow didnt think people from the gulf would read a book like that!~
Im really sorry if i sound offensive, I dont mean to beL its just that having read that book and several others; know that it doesnt portray the Gulf countries and patriarchal societies in very bright light- and am aware of the fact that there have been big issues, with the publications of those books by the people referred to in them: Like the princess' family, in the (next book for instance)
please understand Im not trying to be offensive: and infact consider Dubai my home, though I havent been there for many a year....

If offended- Please forgive me, was just trying to understand thats all!~

Oh, Thanks For Your advice its so nice of you .. You would help me more if you suggest some Tittles or so .. I Could check them out :p

Here's a few goodies:

Two Suns Rising: A Collection of Sacred Writings by Jonathan Starr. The Sufi section is just outstanding, I love to read the poetry of Rumi and of some of the mystic Hindus. Pretty amazing stuff IMHO.

In regards to non-fiction, allow me to recommend:

A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani. This is a good academic piece. I've utilized it in teaching, especially in regards to the Sunni/Shia split which can be a bit confusing.

I posted UK amazon links. I don't know if you can order from there, but at least you can see the book titles.

That's pretty cool that you and Rad are from the same place. It's a small world after all when you're here at TBF. It's also ironic that some folks are less than 300 miles apart and they are "connected" by a server 2,000 miles away across the ocean. Wow.:D

Rad Oh, I'm Extremely Glad you like Dubai, Its Our Pleasure :D
and about the Story!! Ooooooh Noooooo Don’t even bother yourself Im personally Shocked, yes I knew such things happen but not that kind of things you know what I mean Raping and Bla Blaa .. Drinking Drug Dealing.. Lots Of Shocking things I Couldn’t Even imagine here in the Gulf *BTW its Not Just Saudia Arabia ITs EVERYWHERE *.
It's totally not offensive since it’s the truth and only the truth Its quit interesting I Learned things I never knew Existed.. I Mean Every where On Earth there is good and bad.. Its Not Like Every single Arab is like that .. Hell no..
Any Way Don’t Worry Its Okay to express your opinion I never :D

SFG75 How Kind Of you .. Thnx :p

It's also ironic that some folks are less than 300 miles apart and they are "connected" by a server 2,000 miles away across the ocean. Wow.:D
Wow! I never thought of that. Yeah, it's pretty ironic. :)

Speaking of Dubai, I might go there in the Summer for my internship, though I'm not sure. I've never been there, but very eager to go. I know many friends in Abu Dahbi.

And Meera, if you are wondering about me being there in the summer, don't worry, I'm used to. I used to live in Saudi Arabia. ;)

been waiting for your reply-
thought you were offended:
hell ya I know: not like the Indian society and traditions treat women properly either///
just that people seem to here alot more about Arab/ Muslim womens tales from the Gulf Region- Saudi Arabia, Iran and several others:

May take up a course in Gulf Studies someday sumwhere: or may just do it myself: there is serioulsy no other place in this world I want to study more.....

Any ideas on what or who I should read>>>

More Later-
Masalama
(one of the only few Arabic words I know Wish id paid attention as a kid!)

Back