• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hello.

l'antietam

i'm new here and i thought i'd introduce myself. i've joined this forum because recently i've been reading more and more so i figured it would be good to discuss what i read with others. my favorite genres would be science fiction or existentialist works, but i really just love a good book regardless of classification. i'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and talking about books.

Welcome to the boards. What book/author would you recommend for a first sci-fi book for someone who has not yet read the genre?

Welcome to the boards. What book/author would you recommend for a first sci-fi book for someone who has not yet read the genre?

Well, the classics are a good place to start. H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine" and "War Of The Worlds" are both classics. One of my favorite authors is often overlooked in sci-fi. Olaf Stapledon's "Star Maker" and "Last and First Men" are brilliant novels that innovated sci-fi as a genre. Ray Bradbury's short stories, particulary The Sound of Thunder and Frost and Fire, are my favorites and essential readings. Farenheit 451 will get you on the right track as well.

i'm new here and i thought i'd introduce myself. i've joined this forum because recently i've been reading more and more so i figured it would be good to discuss what i read with others. my favorite genres would be science fiction or existentialist works, but i really just love a good book regardless of classification. i'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and talking about books.

Existentialism is my personal favorite as well. My interest in it runs along the lines of Dostoyevsky and Karl Jaspers. Not so much Kirkegaard or Heidegger, though the latter does have some itneresting writings.

Well, the classics are a good place to start. H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine"

I love The Time Machine. The image of a cold, dead earth at the end was something else-I remember that passage to this day.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!:)

Back