• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help Wanted for an Olympic Challenge

Stewart said:
There's quite a few Americans there although I can only seem to remember Rick Moody as having an hour slot somewhere. Only because I saw him do a reading to six people in Borders a few months back and his reading, a scene about werewolves, wasn't all that engaging - probably better to read than to have a monotone author waffle it at you.

As for Kadare, I read Spring Flowers, Spring Frost last week. I can't say I enjoyed it all that much, although I will seek out Broken April and The Three Arched Bridge as they do interest me.

Some authors are better readers aloud than others certainly. Bill Bryson and Brian Jacques are prime examples of stellar readers. You should find an audio of Jacques reading his Seven Ghostly Tales..there's a particular story about a cemetary that makes me laugh every time I hear it .

Broken April is probably not for everyone. My dh didn't like it at all, and I wasn't too sure about it myself right after I finished it. But I went back over a few scenes, and thought about it for a couple of days and realized a few things I'd missed, and found I really like the book very much.

Stewart said:
abec, why not get yourself a Blog, perhaps, and tell us all about the ups and downs blogstyle.

I have a blog at xanga..I just never mess with it..I spend way too much time here:eek: I'll think about it though.

Shoot, I've missed keeping up with this fab thread! I may have missed something, what with this being seven pages and all, but I haven't seen Mexico represented - do they participate in Winter Olympics? Anyhow, my contribution would be from, technically, a Mexican-American, Victor Villasenor. Although he was born here, he was born near the border and has spent time in Mexico and lived in a very Mexicanified culture, with Mexican parents. One or two of his stories are set entirely in Mexico. He does have a seeming bravado, a sort of uniquely Mexican, masculine idealism which doesn't put me off, but I've known people to bridle at this trait. I found the books interesting and appealing, and they were written in english, no translation involved. I can recommend Rain of Gold.

If you're looking for a book by an Indian from India, he may be a bit antiquated for your purposes, but the late R. K. Narayan wrote really well in english about characters from his own milieu. I like him a lot. A good one of his was Talkative Man, short too.;)

Thanks Bren! I'm not sure about Mexico, but I'm assuming they send athletes to one game or the other so I plan to read for them too. Besides, since they're just over the border, it seems the neighborly thing to do;)

abc, all the news from Beirut at the minute brought to mind a great book I read a few years ago by a Lebanese author (writing in English and now living in the US). I, the Divine ( < link)by Rabih Alameddine is a terrifically playful and enjoyable read by a woman who wants to write her autobiography of growing up in Lebanon. The only problem is, she can't decide how best to begin, and so the book consists entirely of first chapters... Here are my thoughts on it from another site a few years ago when I first read it.

The [first chapters only] conceit works brilliantly. Sarah Nour el-Din starts and stops her first chapters, deciding this time to start with her schooldays, this time to begin with her family, this time her lovers, and so on. "How can I expect my readers to know who I am," she says in the introduction (which is of course the last first chapter in the book), "if I do not tell them about my family, my friends, the relationships in my life?" She novelises her life, starts again as a confessional memoir, again as a story of war in Beirut through a child's eyes, again with her present life which all this has brought her to. It has a cumulative effect, rather like William Boyd's Any Human Heart, and is just as good a "life" as that novel. It is, as we are often promised with books but rarely with accuracy, moving and funny and thoughtful. It is also supremely laconic (you can tell it's not a real woman, heheh):
While I was visiting Beirut years ago, my son, my father, my ex-husband, and I went to see The Unbearable Lightness of Being. The war had recently ended, a few old movie theaters had reopened, running on large generators.
"It's been years since I've seen a movie in a theater," Omar said. Once the film began he worried, considered it inappropriate for Kamal, who slept between opening and closing credits while his father fretted. I sat confused, unable to understand the film, yet enraptured by Daniel Day Lewis and Juliette Binoche.
"Well," my father said, walking out of the theater, "at least they got the unbearable part right."

So I am delighted I put aside my prejudices against authors with funny names or my literary xenophobia and urge everyone to read I, the Divine. To utter a sentence I would not even have understood this time last week, let alone said: I can't wait for Rabih Alameddine's next one.

Hey Gang, I've hit a bit of a snag here. I'm looking for Andorran writers, and managed to find two: Michele Gazier and Ramon Villero. There is one book, Views From the Bridges of Europe, which includes an essay by Gazier(as well as many better known writers), that has been translated into English. I can't locate through my library system that book or the others written by my two Andorrans..I was wondering if any of you are familiar with these writers and know how I might find something they've written that's been translated. I'd settle for an essay or even a poem or single story at this point.
I'm amazed that I found out anything about these two writers, since the original websites were NOT in English..I now appreciate google and their "translate this" link, more than ever:cool:

Any ideas?

Scotland will be represented but not officially named so try something by Robert Louis Stevenson or Sir Walter Scott for classics; or Iain Banks, Ken McLeod, Margaret Elphinstone for contemporary. If poetry takes your fancy then Burns for the classics, McCaig of Morgan for the Modern.

Phlebas said:
Oh, and for Brazil I'd recommend Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paolo Freire

Thanks for both suggestions! I'm good for Scotland, but have to find one for Brazil yet..farther upthread, be sure to check out that Guardian World Tour Blog link..the latest country they've 'toured' is Brazil..decisions, decisions:cool:

Phlebas said:
Good luck with Serbia and Montnegro - you'll probably have about 6 different countries by 2008

Well, it IS a called a challenge for good reason;)

Besides, this is really more than a limited time deal..I imagine I'll be reading outside my own national boundaries for the rest of my life.

For Thailand, I recommend Jasmine Nights by S.P. Somtow. He's "the J.D. Salinger of Siam", according to the blurb. This is not an entirely helpful comparison, but it does have a similar child-assessing-the-adult-world theme, and it's an enjoyable read.

I would recommend for Norway, Linn Ullman "Before you sleep" or Jan Kjærstad "The Seducer". (they are more modern than Knud Hamsun).

Any book by Milan Kundera! But "Immortality" is great!

Back