• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Henrik Ibsen: A Doll's House

SFG75

Checked out a book of Ibsen's plays and read this last night. I really enjoyed it and couldn't help but be reminded of Karl Marx's interpretation of 19th century marriage. You could read this play and Marx's views on marriage in The Communit Manifesto and it would sound eerily the same, though the two men would not have liked each other. The end of the book was a real change in pace I thought. Nora leaving her family and recognizing that she was nothing more than the property of her husband for the sake of appearances, was a god critique of the times if there ever was one. Krogstad was a good developed character, his dialogue with Nora and the ensuing effort at bribery was exciting to read. Took me awhile to fully understand what Dr. Rank's "Tuburculosis of the spine" truly was.:lol: I also enjoyed how the title of the book was worked in as an underlying premise, an art that isn't always practiced by good writers. It was a great evening of reading, I'm glad I returned a boring non-fiction book to get a book with this play.

I also enjoyed reading this play.
This change of the characters - especially the awakening of Nora - is so interesting and fascinating.

By the way, there exists also a film with a young Anthony Hopkins and Claire Bloom - in my opinion a very good adaptation.

Checked out a book of Ibsen's plays and read this last night. I really enjoyed it and couldn't help but be reminded of Karl Marx's interpretation of 19th century marriage. You could read this play and Marx's views on marriage in The Communit Manifesto and it would sound eerily the same, though the two men would not have liked each other. The end of the book was a real change in pace I thought. Nora leaving her family and recognizing that she was nothing more than the property of her husband for the sake of appearances, was a god critique of the times if there ever was one. Krogstad was a good developed character, his dialogue with Nora and the ensuing effort at bribery was exciting to read. Took me awhile to fully understand what Dr. Rank's "Tuburculosis of the spine" truly was.:lol: I also enjoyed how the title of the book was worked in as an underlying premise, an art that isn't always practiced by good writers. It was a great evening of reading, I'm glad I returned a boring non-fiction book to get a book with this play.

My son told me to read The Wild Duck,but I started with this one .I didn't catch on at first that this is what Nora was waiting for from her husband,it took a second read to fully appreciate it.Leaving all her family kind of surprised me.

Back