• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Heyyy

isthisreal

Just found this forum whilst browsing Google and thought I'd join up.

Sooo a little about me;

My name's Dean, I'm currently a student in my first year of Sixth Form and I like to read, write and watch movies/TV.

I mainly joined up because I'm always writing prologues or first chapters, so I can post them here and get feedback on how to improve. I'll post one now over in the Writing board :)

Hi Dean. What do you like to read?

I can read pretty much anything. Contemporary literature and thrillers are probably my favorite genres, but I can also read horrors, historical fiction and more. I'm open to anything.

I finished 'The Mark' by Jason Pinter a few days ago, and I've got four new books to choose from tonight. 'Down River' by John Hart, 'Fight Club' by Chuck Palahniuk, 'Maximum Impact' by Jack Henderson and 'No Time For Goodbye' by Linwood Barclay.

Anyone got any suggestions as to which I should start first?

I'm currently a student in my first year of Sixth Form

I had to google what "Sixth Form" meant! So you taught me something today!

If I understand correctly, you are in your junior year of high school or the year before your last year of high school?

Welcome!

I had to google what "Sixth Form" meant! So you taught me something today!

If I understand correctly, you are in your junior year of high school or the year before your last year of high school?

Welcome!

Sixth Form is, basically, a college but on the same grounds as a High School - so the school and the sixth form share the same classrooms and such. However, Sixth Form isn't compulsory, its your decision if you want to go.

In the UK, the system works like this; you have five years of high school until you're 16, then you can either leave to get a job, go to college, or go to Sixth Form. Sixth Form is two years long, so if you choose to go, then overall you'll be studying at the same place for seven years.

I've probably done a lousy job of explaining it, hah.

But yep, I'm in the first year of Sixth Form studying Psychology, English and Photography. I'm also hoping to get a book published in the next few years (ambitious, I know).

In the UK, the system works like this; you have five years of high school until you're 16, then you can either leave to get a job, go to college, or go to Sixth Form. Sixth Form is two years long, so if you choose to go, then overall you'll be studying at the same place for seven years.

Oh my! I guess I misunderstood what google said about Sixth form. Now, I understand and you explained it well.

When you graduate from Sixth Form, what would that degree be called in the UK? Here in the USA, we have junior colleges that offer Associate degrees, which are usually 2 years long to complete (after high school graduation). Then if the person goes to a University, they graduate with a Bachelors degree, which is usually another 2 years after an Associate degree.

Oh my! I guess I misunderstood what google said about Sixth form. Now, I understand and you explained it well.

When you graduate from Sixth Form, what would that degree be called in the UK? Here in the USA, we have junior colleges that offer Associate degrees, which are usually 2 years long to complete (after high school graduation). Then if the person goes to a University, they graduate with a Bachelors degree, which is usually another 2 years after an Associate degree.

Well when you finish high school, you get what are called GCSE results/qualifications.

When you finish the first year of Sixth Form, you get an AS Qualification, and when you finish the second year, you get an A2 Qualification.

Then after Sixth Form, you can choose to either go to get a job, or go into University. Then in Uni, depending on what subject you choose, you can graduate with either a Bachelors Degree, Doctoral Degree or Masters Degree.

It's not the easiest system to understand, but that's Britain for you :)

7 years of HIGH SCHOOL!:eek::banghead6mx:

I barely made it out alive with my 4 years:D The system you explained seems a little easier and smoother as far as continuing along with your education. Here, it's like one you're done, they throw you to the wolves. So, that's cool that they offer such a program (probably cheaper too?) Anyway, welcome to the board!!

7 years of HIGH SCHOOL!:eek::banghead6mx:

I barely made it out alive with my 4 years:D The system you explained seems a little easier and smoother as far as continuing along with your education. Here, it's like one you're done, they throw you to the wolves. So, that's cool that they offer such a program (probably cheaper too?) Anyway, welcome to the board!!

Here's the best part; in the UK, you don't have to pay for college/sixth form :)

That's really wonderful. Are the Universities in the UK expensive or will they pay for attending University as well?

Nah, you do have to pay for attending University, but some Universities offer a scheme where you don't pay your tuition fees until you're working and earning at least £15'000 a year, which I think works out to something like £7 a week, which isn't bad at all.

I actually don't know what the average Uni prices are in Britain, I'll have to look that up. I'm hoping to study either Creative Writing or English and American Literature, or maybe a combination of both.

I'm hoping to study either Creative Writing or English and American Literature, or maybe a combination of both.

Best wishes to you and hang in there through the tough times because finishing college takes a lot of tenacity.

Make sure you select a "marketable" college major so that you will have many choice options in getting a good job after you graduate from college. The problem I see here in the USA is that many young students graduate with a degree that they worked terribly hard on yet they can't find a job after they graduate because their degree is not marketable. If you want to be a writer, then you might have to get a job as a teacher or journalist for awhile (to pay your bills and make a decent living) until you can make enough money from writing books.

I was actually considering doing some journalism work too. I think my dream job would be reviewing cinema/TV/novels, but I've had advice that it's an extremely tough profession to break into.

Back