• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hi from SoCal :)

Lovecraftian

Okay, I realized I had been yapping your eyes off (heh) and hadn’t introduced myself.

The name’s Derek, and I am a full-time freelance writer and author. The freelancing pulls in the bucks, the stories are, well, hopeful. I’ve won quite a few contests and have been published with small presses in the past, and now I’m setting my sights on Glimmer Train and Weird Tales. Go big, right?

I’m 37 years old, and I live in Yucaipa, CA, where I own my own home. I live with my long-time girlfriend who is on disability and home all the time, like me. :D

I enjoy a plethora of things, such as reading (of course), chess (big time addict, there’s no hope), outdoors (camping and wheeling with my Jeep club, mostly), music, welding, building BMX bikes, playing pool, drinking unheard of quantities of beer, movies, etcetera. There’s more, it just goes on and on.

I’ve been in love, I’ve been in fistfights, I’ve been in jail, and I’ve been free.

Anyhow, here I am. :p

Welcome!

Welcome. I'm a new member too. I'm so jealous that you're in SoCal right now...I can't wait until I'm through with Uncle Sam's Big Green Machine and back on the West Coast. I went to medical school in SoCal and I never want to (voluntarily) live anywhere east of the Mississippi again!

Leonardo Noto

Perhaps I shouldn't have worded that quite so strongly!

Um, perhaps I shouldn't have worded my West Coast loving post quite so strongly! It's just that the cow town that Uncle Sam has me living in right now has me California Dreamin':whistling:

Um, perhaps I shouldn't have worded my West Coast loving post quite so strongly! It's just that the cow town that Uncle Sam has me living in right now has me California Dreamin':whistling:

I can understand now that I know you are living in a cow town. Where are you now? If you don't mind me asking.

Fort Bragg

Fort Bragg-- home of the 82nd Airborne, Special Forces, and LOTS of Cows! Of course, the fine citizens of Fayetteville, NC are now going to be boycotting my little, lonely novel!

I’d take a cow town any day. The small town of Yucaipa that I live in is nice and rural, and at the base of mountains, so it’s the best I can possibly get here in SoCal. It isn’t the area, necessarily, that gives me such hatred, it’s the stupid rules/laws.

I’m tired of having to smog my vehicles. The woman and I have decided to pare them down to ONLY ’75 or older cars and trucks so that I don’t have to smog them; it’s uber lame.

Gun laws are ridiculous here, too. Not only am I an avid gun enthusiast who owns several, but I also work as a gun reviewer online. Acquiring a concealed carry license here is all but impossible (I’m still going to try), there’s the mandatory wait/background check for the purchase of new weapons, etcetera. All thanks to stupid gangs.

Lastly, I’m a Colorado boy, so the 100º+ summer days disgust me. I cannot stand heat. I’m a mild-weather guy.

To be honest, the only reason I remain in this place is because my dad is still alive and I have a lot of friends here. Whenever my father dies, it’ll make my decision to move to Oregon a whole, whole lot easier.

/rant :D

I do enjoy Lovecraft. His work is so unusual it’s fascinating.

My normal reading is Clive Barker, King, Koontz, Saul, Weird Tales, James P. Blaylock, Bradbury – really, anything creepy or dark. I don’t know why I like that stuff, I just do.

I also subscribe to Glimmer Train. They put out a very, very good publication with top-notch writing in each issue. The stories range from touching to weird to ‘what the hell just happened?’

It’s my current publication goal; I’m submitting stuff to them left and right. You get published in Glimmer Train, you have a future.

Gun laws are ridiculous here, too. Not only am I an avid gun enthusiast who owns several, but I also work as a gun reviewer online. Acquiring a concealed carry license here is all but impossible (I’m still going to try), there’s the mandatory wait/background check for the purchase of new weapons, etcetera. All thanks to stupid gangs.

/rant :D

Hello Lovecraftian and welcome to the forum. Good to have another gun enthusiast. I like, and own several myself. I'm in Michigan and we have pretty liberal CCW gun laws. You can even own an actual silencer here now! I don't know what someone would need one for but I guess it's nice ...?
Anyway happy posting!

Back