• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hi, I'm bobby, I'm 20 and I just love to play those goddamn video games!

Themistocles said:
No-one has yet mentioned the good old LucasArts adventure games, I am willing to let this oversight pass, accepting it as simply due to your uncontrollable rage directed towards the corporation for their cancellation of Sam and Max 2, but I shall nonetheless address this lack. Grim Fandango is possibly my favourite game ever (I can't decide between it and Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker), the noir atmosphere, jazz stylings, dry humour and supreme inventiveness make it the most incredible fun, while Sam and Max and the incredible Monkey Island series are simply hilarious. DoTT's good too, though I feel Full Throttle is somewhat of a weaker link. If you haven't played them, do so. Now.

I love the Lucasarts games. My boyfriend was never a fan of adventure games, but he'd only played duff ones. I lent him my copy of Grim Fandango and now he's hooked. He's currently working his way through my collection. Sadly lacking Monkey Island 1 and 2 as I had those on my old Amiga, which is sadly no more. My favourites are the Monkey Island games. Pirates. Arrrrrr. But DOTT and Sam And Max are hilarious. Grim Fandango was a little sad in places. Full Throttle was ok, it had that motorbike fight sequence in it afterall. The Dig is probably my least favourite. It's got good puzzles, but it's not as entertaining as the others.

Currently playing Harvest Moon on my Game Cube, Harvest Moon on my GBA (yes, I'm addicted to farming), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on my GBA, and I'm not really playing very much of anything on PC. Working my way through Divine Divinity on the desktop, and Dungeon Siege on the laptop, but I find that my favourite format is the Game Boy so that's where I do the most playing.

I have a cure for this....

I too had the problem with addiction to computer games - I'd agree with Civilization and Railroad Tycoon (now that is a game - shame about version 3), and I'd add in AOE, AOM, Rollercoaster Tycoon, SimCity (all versions), The Sims (and all expansion packs), Vice City etc etc etc etc.

Then one day (three months ago) my all singing, all dancing PC conked out and I had to dig out my old PC from c1997 (slightly upgraded admittedly) which has just enough spec to get on the net. What was I to do? Well I decided to go cold turkey and broke the addiction. I'm still on the net (obviously :rolleyes:) but I now have a social life. :)

It works, trust me...

kasuta said:
I think Vice City is one of the best games ever. I am still working toward 100% on that game. My favorite right now though is Ninja Gaiden. It's a toughie.

Does anyone play 'massively multiplayer online' games? I like City of Heroes for right now and World of Warcraft should be great when it comes out.

I was really into age of empires II: the conquerors for a couple years. I had such a fun time playing it online with all my friends ... it wasn't until after eighteen months of senseless ambition and hysteria that I stopped going to my classes which got me in trouble with my parents who were bitching up a storm, and playing the game became an act of pure masochism.

Themistocles said:
Currently I'm playing through Deus Ex, and I have to say that it is absolutely superb. The freedom offered and open-ended route to all goals is wonderful, I have been playing through without killing everyone, whilst my friend made it his mission to annihilate almost every single living creature in that virtual world (I worry about him sometimes).

That's what made Morrowind so attractive to me. It was completely open ended -- you could follow the main story line if you wished, or not, and once you were done with the main story, the game was far from "over". Lots of guilds you can join and do stuff for, or not. It made for a fabulous gaming experience. :)

I have heard lots about Deus Ex, but I did not know it was open ended like that. Now you've just added another game to my wish list. Thank you!

headpodd said:
I have a cure for this....

I too had the problem with addiction to computer games - I'd agree with Civilization and Railroad Tycoon (now that is a game - shame about version 3), and I'd add in AOE, AOM, Rollercoaster Tycoon, SimCity (all versions), The Sims (and all expansion packs), Vice City etc etc etc etc.

Then one day (three months ago) my all singing, all dancing PC conked out and I had to dig out my old PC from c1997 (slightly upgraded admittedly) which has just enough spec to get on the net. What was I to do? Well I decided to go cold turkey and broke the addiction. I'm still on the net (obviously :rolleyes:) but I now have a social life. :)

It works, trust me...
I'm with you on RT III being a bit of a let down. And yes, SimCity and The Sims were both quite good.

I'm glad you've broken your addiction, if that's what you wanted. Maybe someday I'll get tired of playing or feel I play too much, but for now... I'm not feeling guilty, thank goodness! LOL

bobbyburns said:
I was really into age of empires II: the conquerors for a couple years. I had such a fun time playing it online with all my friends ... it wasn't until after eighteen months of senseless ambition and hysteria that I stopped going to my classes which got me in trouble with my parents who were bitching up a storm, and playing the game became an act of pure masochism.

Yep I played AOE2 to death myself. I also got the expansions and even the Star Wars themed version that came out. By the time Age of Mythology came out, I rushed out to the store to buy it and realized I was just completely burned out on that style of game for a while. I never quite got to the class-skipping stage of things but I definitely had some "What? The sun's up already?" moments.

bobbyburns said:
Yes, I would hope the day I let my real life obligations slide will be the day I stop playing. That's one of the reasons I don't play much on-line -- I've heard too many stories of people beoming way too addicted that way. Forums are bad enough! LOL

I could never find anything wrong with age of conquerors ... for me it was as close to perfect as any game ever got. I used to just build a hundred trebuchets and cover them with cavalry archers and onagers then just decimate the other team's villages. that never got old. eight hours would be going by and I wouldn't even know it.

Oh god, don't let Phil see this thread, you'll never get him off of it :p

When we were in our first year at uni, Phil introduced me to rpg's which is now what I mostly play, my favourites being Baulders gate (1 & 2), Icewind Dale, Fallout and Neverwinter Nights (I enjoy most games built on the D&D engine). I also love Morrowind, completed the main game (twice :rolleyes: ) along with tribunal but haven't had much chance to play bloodmoon yet.

We've also got Lionheart and Gothic 2 which we'll get round to playing once Phil's computers up and running again :cool:

I also enjoy my PS2 games, especially Tekken, Soul Blade (and Soul Calibur 2), Gran Turismo, and LOTR, oh and Baulders Gate: Dark Alliance is good, a bit short (it only took us 1 1/2 days to complete the game :rolleyes: ) but at least we could play 2 player.

We also have the Sims (inc all expansion packs though not Superstar) which is very good, oh and Medieval Total War which is great. We're waiting for Rome Total War to come out :rolleyes:

:D

Ice, isn't it great fun to play games with your partner? My husband and I play Diablo and UT2K4 together a lot. It's just enjoyable to do something relaxing together BESIDES watching a movie or TV, and games do it for us since he's not into reading.

Martin said:
Forget the money, where do you find the time?!

Cheers, Martin
LOL! Now that's a good question. But, we don't have kids, and we don't have a lot of social committments (that's a nice way of sayin' we're both "homebodies"), so spending a weekend playing a game is not that big of a deal.

Ice said:
We also have the Sims (inc all expansion packs though not Superstar) which is very good, oh and Madieval Toatl War which is great.

:D
I only got up to Vacation. Is Making Magic worth the money? I just reached critical mass with the Sims games and gave up. It didn't help that my boyfriend was going through a phase of constantly upgrading and rebuilding the PC, so I was having to reinstall every few months. With all the expansion packs it was getting to be an overly long process.

{Tigress} said:
Ice, isn't it great fun to play games with your partner? My husband and I play Diablo and UT2K4 together a lot. It's just enjoyable to do something relaxing together BESIDES watching a movie or TV, and games do it for us since he's not into reading.

I think its great but Phil's always moaning that I keep stealing all the best equipment etc we find for my players ;) He's lying obviously :p I'd never do something like that!

But no seriously, it's good fun playing with him, especially rpg's where you can take control of half the party each.

I hate playing against him though! He's such a bad loser! I can thrash him at the PS2 games as I had one for years so he refuses to play me anymore :rolleyes:

Ice said:
I think its great but Phil's always moaning that I keep stealing all the best equipment etc we find for my players ;) He's lying obviously :p I'd never do something like that!

But no seriously, it's good fun playing with him, especially rpg's where you can take control of half the party each.

I hate playing against him though! He's such a bad loser! I can thrash him at the PS2 games as I had one for years so he refuses to play me anymore :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I hear you! Ron won't play against me in UT2k4 -- he freely admits I'm a better shot than he is! LOL

And as for RPG's... we just have to play characters that don't use the same stuff or we'd be fightin' more than we already do! :eek:

Litany said:
I only got up to Vacation. Is Making Magic worth the money? I just reached critical mass with the Sims games and gave up. It didn't help that my boyfriend was going through a phase of constantly upgrading and rebuilding the PC, so I was having to reinstall every few months. With all the expansion packs it was getting to be an overly long process.

I havn't installed it yet as I don't have the time at the moment :( We're a bit like you though, I keep upgrading my hard drive so it's very tedious putting them all back on, we had them installed in the wrong order (as we bought living it up after hot date and it kept asking for the wrong cd :rolleyes: ) so I reinstalled all of them but at some point I'll get round to putting it on and let you know :) Mind you, I think we bought most of them just for the sake of it :rolleyes: But they are very good :)

Martin said:
Forget the money, where do you find the time?!

Cheers, Martin

We don't at the moment :( The only game I've played recently is Icewind Dale (again :rolleyes: ) and that was only because I installed it on my laptop :)

Before though, we were at university for three years so had nothing better to do than play games all day :D

Though hopefully when we move into our own place, we'll have more time, we're getting a wireless network just for the LAN games :rolleyes: I'm fed up with replacing the wires that have been chewed or shut in doors! :p

{Tigress} said:
Oh yeah, I hear you! Ron won't play against me in UT2k4 -- he freely admits I'm a better shot than he is! LOL

And as for RPG's... we just have to play characters that don't use the same stuff or we'd be fightin' more than we already do! :eek:

That's what we have to do :rolleyes: Phil tends to take the spellcasters and theives and I take the fighters (I prefer melee :) )

hey, si, yeah its good with the wife, she and i, we play a racing game on our xbox, i think its more fun than being competitive with another hombre, rather my wife, cause she make it more exciting.

Ice said:
That's what we have to do :rolleyes: Phil tends to take the spellcasters and theives and I take the fighters (I prefer melee :) )

I'm usually an archer and/or spellcaster... don't like to get my hair mussed in close combat. LOL

Back