• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hi

BulldozerGirl

Hi.. new to this place.

Haven't got much time to read books, but am trying to get back to the habit.

Hopefully this place will help.

Welcome! I'm in the same boat. I've just gotten back into reading, and I love it. I hope you find some stuff here to read.

This place will definately help! Welcome, enjoy your time here! I'm just a bit curious though - are you encased in two seperate bodies? Half of you tells me you're in Dublin, but the other half tells me you're in Dubai! How can that be? Also, what will happen if both halves of you log into this Forum at the same time? Will there be some sort of massive meltdown, causing my precious forum and the whole of the world-wide-spiderweb to implode? Don't do it, please don't do it. :D

Yes, I was wondering that too! lol :)

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around and have a wonderful time here! BTW, that's one COOL nick name you chose for yourself!

Thanks for the welcome.

I used to read Roald Dahl when I was a kid and then later Michael Crichton. But then I only read non-fiction, mostly comparative religion books, politics, history, popular science.

For the past while I can barely even manage reading my school books (Pathologic Basis of Disease by Robbins, Cotran and Kumar - Interesting if it wasn't compulsory).

I have Dubai / Dublin as my location because I am originally from Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, but I study in Dublin, Ireland, so I'm in Dublin most of the academic year, but in Dubai in vacations (am in Dubai now for December holidays). Hopefully, I will be in Dubai permanently after I finish my degree in about 2.5 years time.

I have been using the name BulldozerGirl for a long time, and I've registered on other forums with the same name (and have been banned from several also because I become abusive when stretched). I have an interest in skyscrapers and am an active member of a skyscraper forum. The name is derived from a combination of sources, but mainly from my ability to bulldoze people in some situations.

Nice to meet you.

BulldozerGirl said:
I used to read Roald Dahl when I was a kid and then later Michael Crichton. But then I only read non-fiction, mostly comparative religion books, politics, history, popular science.
B-Girl, we have some things in common. I liked Crichton back in the day, and I also love to read about religion, politics, history and science. If I could offer you a suggestion in fiction, I would suggest Dan Brown. IMO, they're similar, but Brown includes religion, politics and history. I just got through reading The Golden Ratio, and learned some crazy stuff about math and the world; I highly recommend.

So, what are you studying?

Hmm... I like the sound of you becoming abusive when stretched, it's a sign of honesty I think - as long as it's constructive criticism, and not wildy aimed nonsense! We don't get offended or insulted in this forum though, so you can say whatever you want, as long as it's sensible (which I'm sort of sure it will be, however, I presume (I don't usually like presuming) that you're religious, and I can't stand religion because it's based on brainwashing and controlling people - so you might not be as sensible as I think you might be)!

RitalinKid, I haven't read that book you've mentioned, but I have read about Phi/The Golden Ratio on the internet (after hearing about it on James Stannage's Show). It's pretty interesting isn't it? I don't know that I'm completely convinced though because it seemed to fit almost anything in nature. Hmm... I think I might have struck something! Yes, everything in nature must be beautiful! I suppose Phi must fit with everything in the Universe and not just everything on this little planet. Well, I say 'it must', but the Universe doesn't follow our Human Rules, does it?

Hi, I'm AndrewC, and like BulldozerGirl i'm a fan of skyscrapers, but i come here with a warning:

Her being "banned from several [forums] also because I become abusive when stretched" is her nice way of saying

"Actually I'm quite a famous troll.

I usually post in forums for a long time, and establish myself as a normal forumer.. share ideas.. etc, and then I slowly start to troll and gradually increase the frequency and degree of my trolling, so people become baffled since I'm already an established and long-time member.

My crap is then allowed to stay on the board because people think it's only a phase, but then they're suprised that it never ends.. until in the end they become so confused about it and pissed off, that they brig me. Then I start complaining about maltreatment and try to frame some members which I goad and then accuse of goading, and I laugh at the mess that happens and the silliness of the situation. When I get bored, I ask for a ban.
"
written here: POST #68

You may well get many hundreds of decent posts from here, just be ready not to muck around with her when she gets nasty.

Thanks

Hello and welcome!
wave1.gif

Hi again everyone.

I didn't read much except for the newspaper since I last visited, but I got through some Tin Tin comics, and I think I figured out which four are banned in Arabic. The forumer who suggested some, suggested correctly.

I was wondering whether anyone here has ever written a book and if it was ever published.

I have been considering writing something on word origins for quite some time. Actually, I would appreciate some recommendations for books related to the subject - specifically, Andalusian words and those of dishes such as the "paella" or "baklava" for example. I have several dictionaries of etymology, including Chambers', and some books and essays on the origin of the alphabet (like John Man's mediocre Alpha Beta).

I'm particularly interested in Semitic languages, such as Arabic, and the origins of words in the Gulf Arabic colloquial accent. So if anyone knows anything that specific or related to these in any way, please give a recommendation!

BTW, while we're on the subject of word origins, I thought I'd point out for whoever is concerned, that the word "Jumeirah" in Arabic does not mean "foreigner" or "Westerner", as some Britons in Dubai wrongly claim. The word is derived from Arabic jamra for "burning ember". Jumeirah is a mini burning ember, sort of the same as the difference between cigar and cigarette.

Back