• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Horror Writers of America

sirmyk

I spent this last weekend at a Writers Bootcamp (in Baltimore, Maryland) with the following authors: Doug E. Winter, F. Paul Wilson, David Morrell, Elizabeth Massie, Tom & Elizabeth Monteleone, and Jack Ketchem (as well as some Cemetery Dance folk). What a crowd. It was intense, to say the least. It was also Edgar Allen Poe's birthday, so I was able to check out his graveyard, post roses and cognac (someone stole the cognac by the time I got there). It was an enlightening weekend. For all wannabe writers out there, I would suggest going next year.

But what did you get out of it? What new techniques, ideas, etc. have you taken away to inform your own fiction?

Stewart said:
But what did you get out of it? What new techniques, ideas, etc. have you taken away to inform your own fiction?
The boot camp focused on self-editing: grammar & punctuation, plot, setting, dialogue, character development, etc. All of which I need work on. I left with a greater understading of each, as well as motivation to write. I feel more comfortable now with my red pen, and I'm not affraid to hack apart my writing.

The greatest part of the weekend was spending time conversing with Doug E. Winter and David Morrell at the end of each day (until early morning sometimes). Both shared stories worth far more than any writing class could offer.

Back