• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you decide your next book?

Gootler

What makes you decide to buy a book? is it from browsing the store and reading the blurb or do you always go on recomendation?

What about biuying online? Do you think you can choose a book the same by browsing amazon or do you only buy online if you know exactly what your looking for?

I buy a book if:
1. I need it for a collection. It may be a new release or one that I don't have yet
2. If the book isn't available at my local library

My avenues to acquire a book to read (not necessarily to own) goes as followed (usually in this order)
Local library, borrow from friend or family, local used book store, online book club, big chain book store, ebook download.

Recommendations I usually get from friends or family. The local used books store owner has great incites on novels which I have taken advantage of from time to time. Also online forums or book clubs do offer good recommendation, especiallys BRF.

If I cannot find it in the library, or used, and it is imperative that I read it, then I would go buy it via Amazon. But if I find it at the library sales room, or at a thrift shop, I'll pick up anything that might interest me, especially if it's cheap.

what makes me buy a book is usually recommendations. from "real" friends or the virtual ones.the threads here about likes and dislikes also help a lot. and of course the lists: a 1000 books you must read before die, for instance...

when i buy online i always know already what am i going to buy...

Usually I buy books based on whatever I am interested in at the time or if it is one of the types I like such as detective stories or mysteries.

I browse the suspense/thriller section of my local used book store every one - two weeks. I look for bestsellers, either the book or the author, because I don't have much patience for bad potboilers. It doesn't always work out, I'm reading the book of a bestselling author and it is reading just like a potboiler, there are too many characters to keep track of and I haven't made it 100 pages in yet.

BTW, last week the clerk remembered me by name.

Deciding my next book is usually pretty random. If I read about a book that sounds interesting, I'll request it from the library. Or if a friend suggests something. Sometimes, after reading a book I like, I'll request other books by the author from the library.

I walk a pretty random walk through books.

-David

This will sound quite odd but the book(s) choose me. I tend to read by author so the type of "flavor" of writing (by a certain writer) will gather my interest to read his/her novel.

For example, lately I've had the urge for reading a historical novel so I choose the genre that calls to me, in the present case it's Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen. Yes I have already read this fantastic novel already, and I can't wait to rediscover it again.

The novel chooses me.

__

My book collection is fairly eclectic, and I'm finding this a hard question to answer. In the past I have always had great access to books, so then I would only purchase classics or something that really appealed to me. Now I'm buying much more. Usually if I can't find it in the library or if it's had really great reviews. I'm also planning on doing more buying as in the not too distant future I'm adding a huge bookshelf to my home - but not at once. I'm happy for some of these shelves to remain empty as I slowly add to my collection. So the answer I suppose is if it grabs me, has had good reviews or is a classic that I'm yet to read.

I usually don't make any future plan. Sometimes it depends on the mood and if somebody happens to recommend me a good book, then I'll consider it. But I rarely go the extent of writing down what I'm going to do next.

Usually it has to do with what the students are reading at school.... just hanging around... YA books that seem popular.

Back