• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you keep track of your to-reads?

Lincoln Rhyme

Long ago when I had no access to the Internet, I would carry around wads of paper to the library to see what I wanted. My to-read list started to grow to horrific levels, until I couldn't carry all that paper. So I went online when I got my computer and did some research. I found a good book site to keep track of all the stuff I want to read, currently-reading, and what I've read.

So what about you guys? Got any techniques to keeping up with your to-read list and your other reading related lists, as to help those upcoming bookworms out there?

I really wanna here them, that's for sure :).

To keep track of my current reads, I use Goodreads. I don't catalog previously-read books as I can remember stuff like that. In regards to future reads, I tend to memorize the authors' names instead of the book titles.

Seeing as I'm a literature student it's easy for me: I get a list at the start of the year which books need to be read by which date. I try to keep up but sometimes it's a bit much and I can't finish it all on time.

I don't have time to read anything outside the curriculum just now, when I do, I tend to keep little stacks of books on or near my desk that I want to read.

I own all my to-reads :) -- a big stack of them, and growing bigger every day it seems. And I keep them listed up top in a blog post here, until there are too many and then I trim the bottom.

But it seems you mean "to-buy." OH keeps handwritten lists which we add to as we see ideas here and there. We start with author's names and then see which books are on the shelf when we visit the bookstore.

Then we double check our Library Thing account(s) via i-Phone to see if we already have them.

I just remember what I want to read, ha ha. I don't typically have a list composed of specific books I want to read because I will just read anything. For those books that I really do want to read, I just keep them in my head for the next time I get to reading them.

To keep track of my current reads, I use Goodreads. I don't catalog previously-read books as I can remember stuff like that. In regards to future reads, I tend to memorize the authors' names instead of the book titles.

I also use Goodreads. It is very convenient because I also use it to find potential books and track what I have read. When I see a book that looks good I just click the “want to read” button by the book and it adds it to my To Read shelf. And since I read ebooks almost exclusively nowadays, I don’t actually purchase the book until I am ready to read it.

.......I just click the “want to read” button by the book and it adds it to my To Read shelf.

Doesn't that confuse the issue though? My "to-read" shelf on GR are books we already own, not books we wish to purchase.
Although I suppose a shelf could be created called "wish to purchase". Trouble is, the deed usually follows the wish and there the book is, in the corner waiting it's turn.

Doesn't that confuse the issue though? My "to-read" shelf on GR are books we already own, not books we wish to purchase.
Although I suppose a shelf could be created called "wish to purchase". Trouble is, the deed usually follows the wish and there the book is, in the corner waiting it's turn.

It doesn't bother me; I know that most likely I'll be reading a library book. If it's something I know I want to purchase, I can just add that comment in my notes.

It doesn't bother me; I know that most likely I'll be reading a library book. If it's something I know I want to purchase, I can just add that comment in my notes.

Ok, that makes sense. Thing is, we use Good Reads and Library Thing to keep track of what we own, so it wouldn't fit for us.

1. Books in the bookcases that I have not read yet.

2. Books on my Kindle that I have not moved to my Read archive.

3. Amazon wishlist.

I use a list app on my phone to keep track of all kinds of things. One of those lists just happens to be "Books to Read" :) It's easy and it's always with me. I don't know how I ever survived before smartphones. I must have lost track of hundreds of books I wanted to read before this wonderful age of smartphones, apps, and mobile internet.

]

It still leaves one having to make mental notes. Not always good on days one actually FEELS mental:lol:

Heh...well, I do keep a running list of authors we want to take a look at, plus I keep a list of certain authors, such as Lawrence Block of the ones I actually have in the house. That way I can scan the list if we run across some LBs at the library sale. I hate having to log into Library Thing on the iphone. Well, mostly I hate it when I've actually done so, and when we get home I go to list the book, and.......LT tells me it is a duplicate. grrrr! It's happened more than once. :blush:

1. Books in the bookcases that I have not read yet.

2. Books on my Kindle that I have not moved to my Read archive.

3. Amazon wishlist.

I use Amazon wishlist all the time, with several lists going. One is primarily for books or music I want to request from the library but don't care to buy, the default is for books or items I might want to buy. Some of those books are ones I'll use ILL to preview. Nothing worse than buying a book of patterns only to find there is only one pattern worth paying for. Or worse, nothing in the book really suits.

Back