• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you store your mags?

direstraits

I've just shifted into my new house, and suddenly found that I had shitloads of magazines! I don't know how they grew to be such a huge pile, and still managed to remain out of sight until I moved.

Now I'd like to ask how do you store your mags? I still read them (and almost half of the huge pile hasn't been even read yet! :eek: ), but I don't want to stack them up on my bookshelves, which I think wastes valuable shelf space. Boxes seem to be the answer for me for now, but it as the disadvantage of hiding them from view, and you know what they say - out of sight, out of mind.

ds

well, I have a few piles on the floor, don't know how they got there because I never intended to make any magazine-piles. But I actually have some of my magazines in these box-thingies that are made just to keep magazines in them. I also have a big wooden box/chest/somethinglikethat filled with various magazines and books. Plus there are also some drawers which I assume there are magazines and books in, among with a whole lot of unidentified objects.

Excellent question!, :) horrible dilemma!. :( I just use some empty boxes for my Newsweek and The Nation magazines. I'm not quite sure how I want to arrange them, though I need an arrangement that is definitely more pleasing to look at. I still use these once in awhile as a reference when I can't remember some weird fact or want to print off a great article for a colleague. I have been tempted to just put them in sideways in a book shelf, but once again, aesthetics is a problem.
cig2.bmp

When I used to read magazeens (which I don't anymore) I used to read them then put them in a recycle bin. Before I did the whole recycle thing I did used to put them in a box which was the perfect fit for the magzeens.

I buy cheap plastic crates. I stack them as I fill them. Eventually I go through and throw some away, possibly after cutting out material that I wish to retain.

Renee said:
I buy cheap plastic crates. I stack them as I fill them. Eventually I go through and throw some away, possibly after cutting out material that I wish to retain.

Hmmmmm, not a bad idea.

Yes, but then you have to stack the crates! I am trying to get rid of mine. But I cut off the name in the corner, and bag them and give them to Good Will or some such place, as they sell them to help. Of course the bag I did eventually fill (plastic) is still sitting out on the carport....:eek:

I made my own magazine holders from laundry detergent boxes covered with contact paper or wrapping paper.. sort of like this.
aimg115.imageshack.us_img115_4664_magholder5wc.jpg
I also found a couple discarded plastic forms with the same shape that I use as holders.

Occlith said:
I made my own magazine holders from laundry detergent boxes covered with contact paper or wrapping paper.. sort of like this.
aimg115.imageshack.us_img115_4664_magholder5wc.jpg
I also found a couple discarded plastic forms with the same shape that I use as holders.

LOL-Sweet!. That is very environmentally conscious of you.:) I have the creativity of a doorknob.:(

Most of my magazines get stashed in the basement in one of several spots. We have some heavy-duty metal shelves that are of books, and one shelf is for magazines to cut up. Then there's the metal cabinet that has lots of paper stuff I just am not ready to throw away yet, so literary magizines tend to wind up there. Several years ago-we attended a homeschool workshop and a local box company had donated these marvelous cardboard carrying boxes to hold all the paraphanallia we always get from the poeple running the convention, catalogs, workshop schedules, advertisements, etc. We had taken a couple of our dds with us, and we each made sure to grab one of those boxes, so we came home with 4 of the neatest magazine holders. If I could find some now, I'd have the kids put all their workbooks and notebooks in them.
And of course, there's the latest Pages and Bookmark mags that are still stacked on my bedside table..and the one or two that have fallen behind it.:D

I keep a few that have value, but on the most part I donate/recycle them. I try to not subscribe too much to magazines, I have so many books that I've moved the book cases out to the garage, I have some magazines laying on top of the book cases, but if I never look at them again, why keep them.

When I die I don't want people trying to get in my house thru a maze of magazines and papers to find me. :D

But if kept, those handmade book holders are the greatest idea I've seen.

Since this is revived, I'll just say that my magazine situation is... just as bad.

It has even invaded my bookshelves, the very thing I had said I didn't want happen.

I need those nice looking crates.

ds

Every now and then, I have to get tough and cull out the mags and take them to the library for their sales. I had a stack 2 feet tall of cross stitch magazines once, and it had been 10 years since I'd done any stitching, so I felt safe passing them on.

Umm...well, let me explain that I have OCD. As a result, I am a packrat and hate to throw things away. Pretty soon I was up to my ears in magazines. So I started cutting out the articles I REALLY wanted to read and making a scrapbook out of them, and throwing the rest out. BTW, it'll take a long time to go through them if you decide to do this, but I think it's worth it. And now I don't have to worry about remembering which magazine that cool article on global warming (just an example) is.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
Umm...well, let me explain that I have OCD. As a result, I am a packrat and hate to throw things away. Pretty soon I was up to my ears in magazines. So I started cutting out the articles I REALLY wanted to read and making a scrapbook out of them, and throwing the rest out. BTW, it'll take a long time to go through them if you decide to do this, but I think it's worth it. And now I don't have to worry about remembering which magazine that cool article on global warming (just an example) is.
Excellent idea. Right now I've got stacks of magazines thrown under my bed. Horrible place to put them, but at least I forgot about them for a while.

That's a really good idea :) I keep the magazines in a box but by now i have too many so i need to throw some away soon.

Back