• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How Many Books In 2012?

Author

How many books will you likely read in 2012. Books for pleasure; not work! I'm talking fiction.

Thirtysomething for me with my goal being fortysomething. :whistling:

You?

Great topic!:flowers: In a perfect world, it would be four books a month, or 48. I will probably come in around 20 though. The next two months are going to be super busy for me, I'll be lucky to get 2 in next month after some long days and school related stuff. I might have to go with shorter plays and "kindle singles" to keep the numbers up.:lol:

Fiction only, I would hope for about 50. Probably never done better than that.

I'm at about eight novels a month plus essays and additional non-fiction books for background reading. Average will probably go down after March and then focus on more non-fiction reads as I'll be writing my dissertation.

45-50 is a reasonable ballpark for me these days. I also crochet, and have plans to do lots of charity work this year...or at least fill a big Rubbermaid tote full of finished projects to do something with eventually.

I'm also a member of a writer's forum and I posted the exact same thread as this one, and guess what? Writer's, not so much avid reader, according to the replies posted on that writer's forum, they, for the most part, read at, or just below, 100 books per year. What gives? Shouldn't that be the other way around. Curious.

Not really. I've never heard of a decent writer who's not also a big reader. It's kind of like how nobody becomes a gourmet chef if they don't like to eat.

Just the other day I saw an interview of Diana Gabaldon, the author of the Outlander series. Considering her heavy schedule, both writing commitments and the travel she manages I thought her amount of reading would be at the most average. I was shocked to see that she had read about 300 books last year. Yikes!

Last year I read 92 books, and that was counting one month that nothing was finished.
This year probably about the same. Perhaps less.

I have just started my detailed list of TBRs and it includes a bunch of huge tomes for this year. I should probably scale my estimate of maybe 50 back to around 30.

I read 61 fiction books last year,so probs 50-60 again this year,tho I did read a lot of shorter novels-200-300 pages.

How many books will you likely read in 2012. Books for pleasure; not work! I'm talking fiction.

Thirtysomething for me with my goal being fortysomething. :whistling:

You?

You are horribly misguided if you think that people only read non-fiction for "work".

I have no idea how many books I will read but I do know that every book I read I will try and post a review on here. Will you do the same?

You are horribly misguided if you think that people only read non-fiction for "work".
Very true. I have at least a dozen non-fiction books sitting unread on my shelf and exist there purely for my own curiosity. :flowers: I imagined the number would have been higher, but I consider that rather good considering that nearly the entire bookcase is non-fiction books.

I used to read about 60-80 a year, but now that I work I think it is going to be around 20-30 because it is definitely taking me a lot longer to get through books now.

Well I'm still working my way through my first novel this year - Les Misérables - but it's just so long... I wonder how many more books I'll manage to read this year after I've finished this one.

The goal for me is 66. I'm at about 15 so far. Last year, I tried this goal of 111 and only got as far as 75. School really slows me down, professors wanting papers every week, pft. But I'll catch up in the summer. I'm hoping I'll be able to double my goal for the year, but who knows. :)

my record in a year since I started blogging has been 93. I always hope I'll hit that score again.... but it's unlikely. This year I'm up to 17. I try to read an average of 4 a month of the 1001 books list and then whatever else I have lying around.

Back