• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How Many books in a year?

cabrasopa

I was wondering roughly how many books in a year you all read. I try to set myself a target of 52 (one a week) i'm not a fast reader so most of the time it's around the 50 mark. I have read more 70ish (short easy 200 page reads always bumps it up)
Is this average, looking at some of the threads on this site 52 books seems quite low.

Cabrasopa :cool:

cabrasopa said:
I was wondering roughly how many books in a year you all read.

I probably read about 1 a week also.

People must be doing not alot else with their time if they are reading alot more than that ;) - or maybe I'm just a slow reader?

Mark

It really depends. Last year was an 80 book year, but I've had higher counts, aided by pregnancy-induced bouts with insomnia, and lower counts, too. I don't think this year will be very high, as I haven't even hit ten yet. For me, it depends on what's goin on in my life at any given time.

My greatest year quantity wise was 186. Of course, I didn't get much else done. I've read 65 so far this year.

cabrasopa said:
I was wondering roughly how many books in a year you all read. I try to set myself a target of 52 (one a week) i'm not a fast reader so most of the time it's around the 50 mark. I have read more 70ish (short easy 200 page reads always bumps it up)
Is this average, looking at some of the threads on this site 52 books seems quite low.

I'm curious as to why you care? :) I mean, what difference does it make if you read 50 or 30? Why set a target? I'm simply curious :)

I don't get as much reading time in as I would like. I find that lots of other stuff in my life takes up my time. I think that I get through about 1 - 2 and sometimes 3 books a month.

65 this year - that makes my mind boggle.

I've read six, and probably won't hit 20 this year.

Cheers

SillyWabbit said:
I'm curious as to why you care? :) I mean, what difference does it make if you read 50 or 30? Why set a target? I'm simply curious :)

I don't get as much reading time in as I would like. I find that lots of other stuff in my life takes up my time. I think that I get through about 1 - 2 and sometimes 3 books a month.

STEADY ON, it's not a matter of caring ,it's just a question, to get a feel for how much reading is going on. Seems like some read a lot of books and can't have much time for anything else. As for setting a target it's just something i do each year ( call it a quirk), doesn't matter if i reach it or not.

186 books by abecedarian thats a lot of reading.

Alright, I hope you didn't take me the wrong way? I was simply curious as to the "set a target" business. As I said, just curious was all :)

from august to now, i read about 50 to 60 books, but i have to admit that even if i changed my reading language from german to english this year, i read a lot of easy, fast and funny books! :)

Setting targets and such

I have to catch myself once in awhile, or I'll get caught up in a "read for the count" mentality. When I get like that I remind myself that "She who dies having read the most books....still dies." Reading is supposed to enhance my life, not rule it. So, I've noticed that I have periods of prolific reading, and some slower times. All are fine. ;)

It depends how much time I'm spending on the computer, but most of what I do on it comes from the same love of the written word.

I used to read a book a day before I got really into online talk. I can still hit that in spurts, and if work is slow too. Like yesterday, I started a novel at 100 before bed (My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, very nice read BTW) and finished it right around the time I started closing my shift, 1400 or so.

In a year, I'd guess about 250-300, just depends on what else is going on.

Ooh, just saw the discussion edged a bit, so I came back. I don't consciously set any target for myself anymore, but I do or did used to feel like reading is, or rather should be, my number one leisure priority. Does that make sense? Sort of like, nothing else is really as worthwhile, even though I do do other things for enjoyment. That's part of the old identity set thing from childhood, I was always the smart one, the book worm and all that. Unfortunatley, it never has taken me anywhere like the old fam wanted it too. . . but still, it just seemed like reading was so important. . . like chatting online or singing karaoke or going out dancing was really just a lame fancy compared to the fact that I could have been reading instead and theoretically improving my mind.

I'm over most of that now, but it was the guilty type of thinking that used to lead me to be like "Damn, I've spent three days on this novel! I gotta hit it harder, get another one in soon!" It led me to set targets for a long time, and that still rears it's head in me now and again, but moreover, I've gotten to the point where I see being a fast reader as just a gift now, not an obligation to acheive any certain amount of books.

Probably finish my 20th book of the year tonight. Read 1-2 books a week but go through spells when i don't have time to read.

It probably averages out to 50 books per year. I read some books in one sitting, but then some other books take a couple of weeks.

I also use books for research, or pick up books to read just one section. Not counting reference books that I use repeatedly, I probably get into 20 books per day.

I probably read about 75 books per year, but they range in size from lengthy tomes to quick easy reads. I also try to set quotas, but then I also get caught up in the "read for the numbers" mentality, and I have to remind myself that reading shouldn't be a chore or something that I "have" to do, but for fun.

I'm guessing I get in about 30 a year. I'd love to read more if I didn't have other things to do. Gardening takes up a big chunk of spring/summer, as do kids and a house that always need attention. I've got a HUGE to-be-read list.(I think its up to 150 now). If I could only figure out how to stop buying books, but I think there is no cure! :D

I have never really thougth about it, but now that I do, somewhere in between (not including graphic novels, and novellas) 110-130 maybe?

Seems like there are a lot of heavy readers out there.

So my 'target' of 52, one a week (which i stress is only an arbitrary figure, to gauge how much reading i do in a year) seems low in comparison.

I still don't know where you find the time to read so much, I would love to read more.

It depends. Sometimes I'm in the mood to read, and other times I'm not. So I'd say I probably read 15-20 books a year.

It used to be 230 books a year, but now I think it's about 140. The books I read are now longer, plus I don't have as much time anymore.
I'll read between 8 -14 books a month, I guess.

Back