• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How Many Have You Read?

I think it is kinda English-centered. They don't have books from any East countries, China, Japan, korean, Indian, and even books from Russia authors on those two lists are not that satisfying. some books about ex-Soviet Union are pretty good as well. but guess few people know about them, and give no credit to those books. A pretty wellknown poet, Tagore, from Indian is missed out as well.

As to the lists being Western centric. Well, yes, they would be. It's a British newspaper, printed in English, Published in Britain and read by English speaking people. Why wouldn't it be? :)

I don't think they mean to disregard great novels and authors from around the world or offend anybody or by not including them are saying they are inferior.

They only have so much space in the newspaper and they are writing for their readership. They are not going to print a HUGE list of authors from Inida, Japan, Russia and so on that nobody has ever heard of and will never probably read. They write for their audience. They are in the paper business to make money :)

If a similar article was printed in Japan you could expect many of the writers to be Japanese or far easten writers and for the same reasons. Not becauase they do not regard western writers to be inferior or that they are slighting western nations but because their readership is going to be interested in Japanese and eastern writers.

i didn't count, because i am lazy. but i know my number is not high. but i thought i would share this list with you, which i found some time ago. i've read a number of the books on this list, but many more were on my "to read" list:

truly erudite?

Damn, I've only read 11 of those, Jenem, but several of the unread ones are sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me to molest their pages. :D

I read The Wide Sargasso Sea last year and loved it. Very unusual.

OOOH - i just read the description of The Wide Sargasso Sea. it looks really good, i'm putting it on my BUY list. thanks for the tip, Thea

That's the Introduction to Humanities course, isn't it?

If so, how did you find it? I was thinking of doing it myself when I get some time. Eight months of time to be precise. :)

Abulafia said:
That's the Introduction to Humanities course, isn't it?

If so, how did you find it? I was thinking of doing it myself when I get some time. Eight months of time to be precise. :)

I found it rather dry, but I also had an uninspiring tutor.

Back