• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How Many Languages Do You Know and Use?

I have a working knowledge of French, meaning I can do basic conversation and reading, and I can translate most anything with a dictionary. It's not as good as it should be, probably, considering I took like 8 years of French in school and have been there twice (for a two-week period and a six-week period only, though).

Halo said:
DS, your English is excellent. Any misunderstandings would be purely on the part of the reader. :)
Awww... Halo, thank you. :)

I'm speechless.

:D

ds

Psst! I ran out of money already so the cheque for this one will have to wait a little longer...

direstraits said:
And I speak English well enough for people to misunderstand me.

That's the highest grade of language knowledge, isn't it? asks my inner postmodernist ;)

Halo said:
Any misunderstandings would be purely on the part of the reader.

That's the whole point, right? :D ;)

Me, I speak Swedish, English and gibberish, and I can get by in German (barely) and French (my pronunciation is better than my comprehension and grammar), and I guess Danish and Norwegian though they're more different from Swedish than Swedes like to believe. Also, I can order an icecream in Czech!

*mrkgnao*

direstraits said:
Awww... Halo, thank you. :)

Psst! I ran out of money already so the cheque for this one will have to wait a little longer...

Hmmph. :mad: What I meant to say was "DS, your English is atrocious." :D

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I can speak Spanish, a tiny bit of English Sign Language (not ASL), and an even tinier bit of Japanese.

Valkyrie, there seem to be quite a number of different types of sign language. The one I learnt was Australasian Signed English, which didn't involve over-emphasis of words. Just interested to hear how it differs from American and English sign Language.

i speak my native language, Romanian, then French, English, Italian, Spanish, i can read German and Portuguese, and i am learning Arabic right now.

btw, never_know, how come you speak Romanian?

aniela said:
i speak my native language, Romanian, then French, English, Italian, Spanish, i can read German and Portuguese, and i am learning Arabic right now.

btw, never_know, how come you speak Romanian?
You're lucky. I wasn't able to learn foreign language until high school.

Poppy1 said:
Valkyrie, there seem to be quite a number of different types of sign language. The one I learnt was Australasian Signed English, which didn't involve over-emphasis of words. Just interested to hear how it differs from American and English sign Language.
I know the difference between English and American sign, but I don't know anything about Australian. In ASL, they change the grammar from how people normally speak to something else, and I don't like it. My grandparents don't like it, since they learned English sign, so I learned that, too. Other than the grammar, English and American aren't that different.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I know the difference between English and American sign, but I don't know anything about Australian. In ASL, they change the grammar from how people normally speak to something else, and I don't like it. My grandparents don't like it, since they learned English sign, so I learned that, too. Other than the grammar, English and American aren't that different.

In the Austalasian sign, you just talk normally and finger-spell for any words they don't have. It sounds like it may be the same as the English sign.

(PS. Just read your homepage - why don't you like e.e.cummings?)

My parents came here to the U.S. from Poland just months before I was born. So I speak fluent Polish. I was raised by my grandmother who was from Moscow, so I also know Russian. I can read in Polish, but not in Russian. I can also read in Italian, and understand most of it, but when I open my mouth to respond, my tongue get tied. And of course, there's the English; Which I learned at 5 when I entered kindergarten. However, If you hear my speaking, I have a horrible Chicago accent. :p

Yes I speak English and Caveman... UUUuugggghhhh

I wish I could speak different languages but sad to say I am a Dumbass... and fight to make english work right...

I'm able to read german and english book. Sometimes it is really funny what the translater made out of the story. =D

Back