• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How much do you spend on books annually?

direstraits

Not that any of us would keep track. :)

However, I do keep receipts from bookstores everytime I buy because there's a tax exemption for book purchases up to 500 bucks.

Well, I just did a tabulation of my purchases for 2004 and I did a little more than 3 times that. I had no idea I spent so much! Ouch. Having said that, I'll probably say the same thing again this time next year. :eek: I had spent at least 1000 for the previous years...

Now my wife and mom both get their tax exemptions for book purchases too. :)

For comparison, a paperback here costs roughly RM35.

Do you know how much you spent?

ds

direstraits said:
...there's a tax exemption for book purchases up to 500 bucks...

Do you know how much you spent?
I didn't know about that tax break! Woohoo! I'll definitely be using that next year.

I probably spend at least $500 per year, probably more like $700-800.

I probably buy $50mo in books - so annually about 600 US dollars. Since I also have an addiction to audio books, I subscribe to an online service that gives me 2 unabridged audio books per month for $20 (which is a STEAL since they go for between 29.99-49.99 each) So about 840.00 :eek: a year for my book habit.

Tax breaks for buying books? What's that all about? :mad: *jealous*

I spend quite a lot on books, but being a Yorkshire person, I try not to pay full price! :D New paperbacks here cost around £6.99 on average, but I take advantage of 3 for 2 offers or Tescos selling 'em for £3.73. :cool:

I don't think I could total what I spend in a year on books, but I don't drink or smoke, so book buying is my only vice (well almost). ;)

Heh!! Far too much :D

I would never want to keep count, because honestly it would be far more of my money than I would want to spend :)

Phil

A tax deduction for ANY books, not only study books? :eek:

I have no clue how much I spend, as I've been trying to go to the library instead of buying (but of course I still end up buying :rolleyes: ). I maybe buy less than 30 books a year. :confused: So at about $25 a piece, that's $750. :confused:

Just don't ask me how much I spend on DVDs. :eek:

My family probably spends approximately $1000-$3000 on books each year. I'm serious. That is because we're all bookworms and we go to bookstores every weekend.

Not much , compared to you guys (and gals). I bought a bunch of books from Daedalus for Christmas last year for around $100. And I'd have to say, throughout the year, maybe $50 worth of hobby books.

I spend A LOT on books! I must say that it would be in the four figures. Now I am hanging my head. That's A LOT of money, now that I think about it...

Oh God that's a scary question! I wouldn't like to even start my calculations, being as I know I've spent approx £400 on books so far this year and we're only a short way through March!

I would say that I easily spend over £1000 in a year - I try to take advantage of charity shops and 3 for 2's, but sometimes I've just gotta have the latest books out. It's an expensive habit, but at least we have something to show for our vice, unlike those who smoke away their money and have nothing at the end of it.

I generally borrow books from friends. Many of my friends read books and we circulate them around. When I read some book, if I feel that its a reference material or I might want to read it again in the future, then I buy that book.
I wish I was richer so that I could buy more books! :(

sweetsymphony said:
I didn't know about that tax break! Woohoo! I'll definitely be using that next year.

I probably spend at least $500 per year, probably more like $700-800.
Whoa, there sweetsymphony... I don't think you live anywhere near my neck of the woods... I don't know if there's a tax break where you live, so you'd better it check out first.

syracusefan... how I wish I could get that audible.com package. The conversion rate here is 3.8 to a dollar, so it's a little too expensive for me, in addition to the stuff that I'm already buying. Plus I'm moving in a new house this year, whew - don't get me started on that. The stuff I have to buy just blows the mind... :)

ds

marlasinger said:
A tax deduction for ANY books, not only study books? :eek:
Yup, that's right. All we have to do is save our receipts from bookstores.

At the rate I'm going, 500 really isn't enough. :)

ds

When I was in England I loved Booksale. They got reasonably recent books at great prices, and I got lots and lots of good stuff for 99p. Do you go there too?

ds

I've never heard of Booksale, but it sounds great. Does it only have branches in the South of the country? (There again, my area is rubbish for decent shops anyway.)

Back