• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How much reading time?

myself, i'm almost 14 so i dont' have responsibiliteis such as a job/kids. however, with school, homework, a website, and lots of events that i go to, i dont get such a large amount of time to read. currently, there's about 35 books on my list of books that i need to read soon!!

I generally don't have much time to read during the day, my numerous "jobs" keep me quite busy. But, in the evening, after the children are put to bed and the house is shut down for the night, I can easily get in two hours of reading, sometimes more, if I start reading earlier and want to put up with the interruptions of bedtime preparations. On the weekends, I can usually read more.

cajunmama said:
I generally don't have much time to read during the day, my numerous "jobs" keep me quite busy. But, in the evening, after the children are put to bed and the house is shut down for the night, I can easily get in two hours of reading, sometimes more, if I start reading earlier and want to put up with the interruptions of bedtime preparations. On the weekends, I can usually read more.

Oh tell me about it!.:) The little ones here crash around 10 and then I'm almost giddy like a kid at christmas time. I then spend about ten to fifteen minutes picking one of the five books that I'm currently reading.

SFG75 said:
Oh tell me about it!.:) The little ones here crash around 10 and then I'm almost giddy like a kid at christmas time. I then spend about ten to fifteen minutes picking one of the five books that I'm currently reading.
Hang on to your underpants, sfg...my kids go to bed at eight!!! :eek: :D

cajunmama said:
Hang on to your underpants, sfg...my kids go to bed at eight!!! :eek: :D

Wow...how do you do it? In all reality, the wife basically works the 2nd shift at her job, which we do intentionally to minimize day care hours. The kids will often play outside and if I'm not pitching to them or pushing swings, they are off doing things in their sandbox(surrounded by a chicken wire fence) that I can read or enjoy a good cigar.:)

I guess I am kind of a strict parent. But in all reality, an early bedtime is in their best interest. A child that gets enough sleep does better in school and behaves better in general. A lot of ADD and ADHD cases are really some sort of sleep deprivation, sometimes a medical condition like sleep apnea or simply not getting to bed early enough. A child that is chronically sleep-deprived has a short attention span and is very moody, but does not act sleepy. Have you ever noticed that a young child that needs a nap behaves just like this, but get him/her to sit still for five minutes and they are out like a light? My children are put to bed at about 8 o'clock, 8:30 at the latest, and my two older ones, my girls, are usually fast asleep in about five minutes. The boys usually take longer, but about a half hour later, they are usually asleep, too. They all wake up around 6 or 6:30 for school, I rarely have to wake them. The bus comes at 7:30.

*okay, off my soap box :eek:

I do agree with Cajunmama on this sleep thing. I think school kids for sure need alot of good rest!My daughter which is 11 is now going to bed at 8:30 and my son which is 3 also goes to bed then.My 11 year old has to read every night from 8-8:30(she has AR points to achieve at school, so she has to read books which are worth so many points and take tests on them) and then lights out at 8:30, she has to wake at 6:15am in the morning to get ready for the bus that arrives at 7:15am. I find if I also put my son to bed this early he is usually up fairly early (in a better mood) and will take a 2 hour nap right after lunch and then go to bed by 8:30. When we follow this schedule with him he is way better behaved and happier than when he doesnt get up early, take nap and get to bed early. My daughter just has sooo much going on that I really think it is necessary for her to get to bed early (which she doesnt really like). She has alot going on all the time which i think tends to make her very exhausted.

My 14 year old went to bed at 8:30 until she was 13. It has only been the last year that I have allowed her to stay up later. My 6 year old is in bed by 7:30. If I didn't enforce this, I would never get a moment's peace. But what Cajunmama says is true. Children who don't have enough sleep do tend to have problems at school. I allow my kids to have 'late nights' on Friday and Saturday nights because they can sleep in in the morning.

As for the topic, I tend to go in stages with my reading. I read everyday, but it is not always stuff I enjoy reading since it's my job. If I have a really good book going, I will stay up late to get as much reading done as possible and will read that book every chance I get throughout the day. I would like to read for pleasure a lot more than I do, but there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. :(

This is interesting in that my recent Halloween experience caused a long discussion of bedtimes tonight at work. When I was a kid I went to be at 7PM until third grade, then it was 8PM. In fifth grade I got to stay up until 9PM.

Last monday I had young kids (somewhere in the six to eight age range) knocking at my door at 9:30. I doubt I was the last house, so they probably finished at 10, went home, changed, looked at candy scores and were in bed for 11PM. That's so late for little kids. I couldn't believe it!

Of course, my poor kid will probably be so confused about bed time and whatnot, so I shouldn't complain.

I just wanted to announce to everyone.....I had an hour and a half of silent, uninterrupted, blissful reading time!!.:) :D :) After a long day at work and helping to work a basketball game that went into double overtime, it was nice to unwind.:cool:

I have just two more weeks of classes to get through until winter break begins. Ah, over a month with so many hours that can be devoted to reading! Although I am sure that some of my time will be forced to do menial tasks like household cleaning. However, so much more time to read than what I got now!

We were always in bed by 8 pm when I was a kid. We only got to stay up later on friday and saturday nights.

I can't really complain about reading time. I work four 12 hour days and have 3 days off. I don't have kids and try to get the mundane things, such as house-cleaning, out of the way my first day off. I also read at night. In the summer I find I read less and more in winter.

I've never had reading time. I usually don't stop until I'm done with the book so I just pull an allniter if need be....unless ur looking at something like War and Peace then I can do two nights

:D

technokitty said:
I've never had reading time. I usually don't stop until I'm done with the book so I just pull an allniter if need be....unless ur looking at something like War and Peace then I can do two nights

:D
There have been a few times in my life that I could do that, when I was suffering from insomnia and could function quite well on four hours of sleep a night and the rare occasions that I didn't need to be awake for the next day. These days, unfortunately, things tend to go to h*** in a handbasket if Mom's not wide awake and in charge!

cajunmama said:
There have been a few times in my life that I could do that, when I was suffering from insomnia and could function quite well on four hours of sleep a night and the rare occasions that I didn't need to be awake for the next day. These days, unfortunately, things tend to go to h*** in a handbasket if Mom's not wide awake and in charge!

lol! ya I guess been an insomniac does help me...but I gotta admit after a couple of days I start seeing little pink elephants at work hehehe

Because I'm not working at the moment, I can read about 4-5 hours a day; but when I'm working, I usually can't get more than an hour per night (a bit more on weekends).

Got an hour and a half in last-night, YEEEEESSSSS!!.
th_reading.gif

I got a hour last night and 30 minutes this morning. So I was able to finish the series I had been working on. Gonna try to squeeze in more time today to get into my new book more :)

mom2kngr said:
I got a hour last night and 30 minutes this morning. So I was able to finish the series I had been working on. Gonna try to squeeze in more time today to get into my new book more :)

Rats!, you discovered my diabolical plans for the evening!.:rolleyes: :D

not enough, about an hour on the bus, then two fifteen minutes breaks, and a half hour lunch if I'm reading a good book. It took me a week to finish my last book, and I"m a fast reader.

Back