• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How often do you post?

Carlos

I find myself coming back to this forum occasionally. I'll have a flurry of posts followed by an absence of 2-3 months sometimes longer, 6+ months. I guess this is reflected by my stats

Total Posts: 377 (0.34 posts per day)

What do you do when you take a break from a forum? Leave forever or return occasionally to say Hi, and have a chat or pass a comment.

Just asking cos since my return I have noticed a few people are absent. Just wondering what makes you stay, go and return?
:)

Hi, I'm only replying because the following was written to me by :confused: ? Huh, they didn't even sign their name!

Hello jaybe it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

I think 'they' must be desperate for activity on here.;) I know I've not found any for months. Hence no posts from me.

It's a pity, this should be an interesting place for a chat.

I find myself coming back to this forum occasionally. I'll have a flurry of posts followed by an absence of 2-3 months sometimes longer, 6+ months. I guess this is reflected by my stats

Total Posts: 377 (0.34 posts per day)
[./QUOTE]

I post quite frequently. I'll have a stretch of a week or two where I'll virtually disappear from the board and then reappear in a flurry.

What do you do when you take a break from a forum? Leave forever or return occasionally to say Hi, and have a chat or pass a comment.

Usually I'm preoccupied with something-a family vacation, a big project at work, or handling some other matter.

Just asking cos since my return I have noticed a few people are absent. Just wondering what makes you stay, go and return?

I came for the book discussion, I stayed because of the people.

I find myself coming back to this forum occasionally.
We're always happy to see you back!

I often come and go on forums depending on how much time I have, my comfort level with the forum and how much interest I have in the topics discussed.

These days I don't have a lot of time for the internet, so I don't really spend much time on forums. In fact, this is the only place I frequent these days. I spend most of my time cleaning up and being social with other members rather than discussing books, but I know that will change as I end up with more free time later on.

Hello jaybe it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
That is just weird. It must be an automatic message because I know that the moderation team isn't sending those out.
I think 'they' must be desperate for activity on here.;) I know I've not found any for months. Hence no posts from me.

It's a pity, this should be an interesting place for a chat.

Please, feel free to start a topic that interests you, and perhaps others will join in. Don't take my suggestion as "desperation" though. It isn't, I just find that the best way to have conversations I enjoy is to start them myself.

I dont come on here that often. Only if i have a question about a book (obviously), which isnt that often as i am happy to read books and not question them that much, or to discuss any recent films that have come out. I do tend to come here for random discussions when i have something on my mind :D As in something going on in my life that i cant discuss with anyone else. Maybe because i feel i am not well known here and that many members here are from other countries.

I think i have a love hate thing with this forum. I keep coming back and i dont know why. Its maybe because this isnt such a strict forum. You can post anything, no matter how random and you'l get some sort of response. Unlike other forums i go to, such as my horsey one. Everything must be kept on topic of horses other wise its deleted. Which is a shame as you get to know people on forums and want to talk about other things.

I think I post here too often. Sometimes I go to the main screen and notice that I'm the last poster in practically every forum here, and think, "Dear God, I'm a postwhore." But no one's complained to me so far.

Any forum, and all forums, are about the people. It's just that simple.

If you make connections with a special group of people, then chances are good you'll all continue to frequent the forum of choice.

What I've witnessed in my time here is that there's an underlying dysfunction that tends to make people get "tired" of being active here.

This dysfunction tends to really surface every few months, but it is generally around, just under the surface, all the time. When real stress happens, members tend to exit in the groups they've formed, and they find other forums where they can meet, or, as in a few cases, some members start their own forums.

My gut belief is that this dysfuction is directly tied to the fact that the Admin. here is absent from the day-to-day business of the forum.

I certainly understand that people get busy, or have "real lives" to take care of, and I do understand that the Admin here has other priorities....but the topic is about this forum.

And that's my general take on what's happened here over the last few years.

As my join date will tell you, I have been here for quite some time. However, I don't post as much as others. This is mainly due to me clicking "reply to thread" and after typing a half-coherent reply chickening out and clicking the back button on my browser. :eek: (I've already done it to this thread once!)

I usually remain quite faithful in my forum visiting. I check for posts most days and make an odd reply here and there.

I have also noticed quite a few absentees, mainly of the veteran member variety, but I always hope they'll pop in for a visit again at some point. :)

I'm here every weekday. I post during breaks and lunch whenever I can on whatever I can.

Does that help???????????

:eek:

This is mainly due to me clicking "reply to thread" and after typing a half-coherent reply chickening out and clicking the back button on my browser. :eek: (I've already done it to this thread once!)

Why? What are you scared of?

Is it you, or is it something about this forum that makes you "chicken out"?

I, for a while, was a frequent poster on this forum; due to a number of reasons such as illness and not having a pc etc, I didn't post for a while and kinda realised this forum can, contrary to the beliefs of my own overinflated sense of self-importance, function extraordinarily well without me (;)), or something... usually, I get bored with a forum, no matter how many 'friends' I make there, or how essential the forum seems to my everyday life, but with this forum that wasn't the case; now I am still not back online anywhere near as much as I need to be to catch up with all those threads (and indeed, other forums) I missed while away, despite recovering from an appendectomy which requires me to 'take it easy', and so I'm not really a part of the crux of the forum (and aren't you all glad if it means you get to read posts containing slightly shorter sentences...). But I expect to return when my enthusiasm for all things booky-and-readery (or my intense infatuation with a fellow member ;)) returns with gusto!

By the way, I too, spend several of my precious minutes typing out a response, only to click the back button halfway through. It's most annoying!

Confidence issues? Believe me, all of the replies I've seen you make have been more than half-coherent. You have nothing to worry about.

I still come here quite often but hardly ever post, I seem to have quiet spells at other sites as well. Sometimes due to who's posting and the topics posted I'll go for long spells where I can't think of anything to post, there's nothing I feel a need to reply to, there's no one on the site posting that I know or I've not been getting any responses to my posts, then I tend to visit and just read posts for awhile.

Well hell....if posting is such a difficult task, I must assume starting new threads is downright terrifying? :eek:

That's a shame.

"You" are totally anonymous. If there's any place you can put on an alter-ego and not suffer for a few mistakes here-and-there, it would be an internet forum. Like TBF/BAR.

You could be a black male transvestite living in Dallas, Texas for all I know.

I've known numerous members who decide to leave forums because they get bored with the place. Yet, these same members have almost never actually started a thread. They kinda expect others to provide the interesting topics, then if there's a lull, they just leave complaining they are bored.

Chances are really good that if they just started a few threads they'd find plenty of interesting things to discuss. Especially since the threads are of direct interest to them.

Tartan, I've seen many of your posts. You have nothing to be scared of. You are bright, smart, witty, and offer plenty to this forum.

I think it would be wonderful to see you stretch out a bit, and explore yourself through the safety of being just a screen-name.

Confidence issues? Believe me, all of the replies I've seen you make have been more than half-coherent. You have nothing to worry about.

You could be a black male transvestite living in Dallas, Texas for all I know.

Tartan, I've seen many of your posts. You have nothing to be scared of. You are bright, smart, witty, and offer plenty to this forum.

I think it would be wonderful to see you stretch out a bit, and explore yourself through the safety of being just a screen-name.

:) Well thank you both, but I swear I'm not American! :p (Or, you know, any of the other things.)

It can be hard coming up with ideas for new threads, and sadly my brain is a little flat at the moment because of school. Heck, I'm supposed to be revising right now. But I agree, more people do need to post things in the chance they might get a reply and spark off a huge discussion.

Back