• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How often do you talk about books?

abecedarian

In realtime, in face to face situations, how often do you talk about books? Do any of you find yourselves telling the grocery clerk about a great book you're sure they'll love, or am I just strange? You can tell me I'm weird, I've heard it before:p

More often lately since becoming better friends with a fellow bookworm. I also like to rant about books to a friend of mine who dislikes reading. Actually I haven't really given much thought to how often I talk about books in real life. If I left the house more often I am sure that I would be discussing books with grocery store clerks! ^_^

I talk about books a lot. I suggest titles to friends and strangers in bars. I tell my co-workers and students about what I am currently reading. I had friends over for a card night the other day and ended up lending out two books that I thought a friend might like.

I talk about books a lot with my father. He reads just as much as I do. Then on occassion I will discuss books with co-workers. Just yesterday I was talking with someone who was asking me for some recomendations for historical fiction.

I discuss books sometimes with my freind Dermotjpr but other than him, no-one I know reads at all or want's to talk about books- Thats why I come here! :D

I talk to my friends about books all the time!

As a lot of them read themselfs so its good to get feed back of them and we usually swap books as well.:D

I have started talking about them quite a bit in the last couple of years. My brother-in-law (to be) has a lot of the same taste in books. Plus after a re-arrangement of desks at work, I sit next to someone that has the same tastes. Now some of us are starting a book club, though it involves beer as well. As in trying new beers and discussing them along with discussing the book.

I ALWAYS talk about books. If a stranger is reading something, well, they aren't safe from my probing questions! People say my face lights up when I talk about them. Maybe it does...

I usually try not to talk to people who don't like reading. I talk with my english teacher mostly about books.

I talk to my father about books every time he comes over to visit, which is about every day. I also ring up my brother (who is studying at Uni) every once in awhile to discuss books. He is currently borrowing about 4 of my books, I believe. I tell my younger sister about the books I have just finished reading and give her recommendations, but she doesn't read nearly as much as she used to.

I can't say that I talk to strangers about books though, other than to ask the person at the bookstore what they thought of a certain book. I was close to asking a customer who came into my work about a book that she was carrying (A Breath of Snow and Ashes), but I'm a bit shy.

ecks said:
I usually try not to talk to people who don't like reading. I talk with my english teacher mostly about books.

And believe me, that is a lot of people-especially in a school setting.

I find the subject of books popping up in the oddest places sometimes, like last night at church. We'd just interviewed a pastoral candidate, and a friend was showing me her pictures from a recent trip to England. As she was describing her trip to Bath, she said that shortly before they left, she had read some book that mentioned bit of obscure trivia about the lending library, and how she was pleasantly suprised to round a corner and see a sign for this place she'd read about. This led to a brief discussion about that that happens so often to readers: we'll read about some small thing, and then soon come across that very bit of trivia in a way that smacks us in the face.

I talk about books with people all of the time. I'm fortunate I guess to be surrounded by people who enjoy reading (one of my best friends is working on his masters in literature). I have a group of guys who get together at least once a week and what we are reading is always on the list of conversation topics. It's also great because we fire books back and forth to each other all of the time. There are several titles we have passed around so much that no one is sure who bought it in the first place.
My wife who doesn't read much even lets me talk books with her. She says it saves the time of having to read them.

curiouswonder said:
I talk about books with people all of the time. I'm fortunate I guess to be surrounded by people who enjoy reading (one of my best friends is working on his masters in literature). I have a group of guys who get together at least once a week and what we are reading is always on the list of conversation topics. It's also great because we fire books back and forth to each other all of the time. There are several titles we have passed around so much that no one is sure who bought it in the first place.
My wife who doesn't read much even lets me talk books with her. She says it saves the time of having to read them.

How cool to have a bunch of friends to hang out with like that. Most men don't have that. I think women are a little better at creating reasons for getting together for fun and fellowship than men are. We may call it something like "planning meeting for ladies' retreat" or even "deaconess meetings" but they serve much more than one purpose. For the sake of the discussion here, I can honestly say that nearly always the title of at least one book gets mentioned(besides the Bible). Even with this retreat next week, the theme comes from a book called Silver Boxes..
I've thought about trying to start a reading group with the ladies at church, but I don't want to get stuck with only books from a Christian publishing company..and I'm afraid that idea will offend some folks..With a new pastor coming(yayness!), I will probably wait awhile anyway.

BTW- I have my dh test-run books all the time..saves me time and energy;)

Well, I don't know too many poeple that read as much as I do. My mother-in-law does, so we talk books at least once a week during our weekly library/grocery trips, and I talk with the librarians, too. Other than that, I only have a couple of friends I see very infrequently, but when we do happen to cross paths, what we are currently reading and what we have read that we especially liked is sure to be mentioned. And, I come here! :)

I was in class today and during discussion I mentioned the book I was reading (Foop!). I almost lost people for a second (they were probably thinking, what the heck does this have to do with anything?!?) until I made them laugh and connected talking to yourself to blogging, which made like 5 people disagree with me :p Good times.

hm outside of this forum? i talk to books with friends but its hard to talk about books beyond the ones we read for school. most of them dont read beyond assigned books and manga. one of my friends is the most intelectual so i can discuss some sort of book she might have not even heard of, but it doesn't turn into some sort of debate.

ecks said:
i know what you mean. everyone automatically hates the books we read for school and you can't discuss anything positive about them

i actually discussed the books we're reading with a friend of mine and our AP Euro History teacher yesterday. they lean towards books about oppressed women in the middle east though. i've read a book or two with that sort of setting, but i haven't in a while. i felt a little out of the loop =P

I talk about books incessantly with my Girlfriend, as we both try to read many of the same things. She read the Harry Potter books at my suggestion, and I'm reading Eragon due to hers. In my family, I can only really talk to my Mom and Dad about books, but they both tend to only read Christian books (which I do too, so that's no problem!), and my Mom tends to view fiction as "useless"...ah! the times I've tried to convert her to Fictionalism!! :D

My brother avoids books like the plague, and my 3 younger siblings (14, 10, and 4) either don't read yet, or have no real thoughts about what they've read so as to be able to discuss them. I guess I'm thankful that the woman I love enjoys books as much as I do...its always nice to appreciate the small blessings in life!!:cool:

Here's a hard one-how often do you talk about books at work? You'd be amazed at how rare that is unless two english department people are in the same room.:rolleyes:

Back