• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How To Grow The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think that discussion of politics and religion are prohibited here for a very good reason: they invariably degenerate extremely quickly into vicious personal attacks on people for their opinion. If you would like to discuss these topics, I'm sure there are forums just for these.

Halo said:
I also think that discussion of politics and religion are prohibited here for a very good reason: they invariably degenerate extremely quickly into vicious personal attacks on people for their opinion.

Fair enough; that's the rules. However much I may think they are silly I'll sort of concede. I won't personally attack someone through talking about politics or religion although it depends on the maturity of your userbase. Since we're readers it bodes well that we may be able to take a bit of opinion and respond respectfully. It's a shame as its simply turning a blind eye to things.

If you would like to discuss these topics, I'm sure there are forums just for these.

If we find one will you all come and join us? :)

Abulafia said:
I won't personally attack someone through talking about politics or religion although it depends on the maturity of your userbase. Since we're readers it bodes well that we may be able to take a bit of opinion and respond respectfully.

You might not attack anyone Abu, but I know plenty of people who would! Religion and politics seems to make normally well-balanced, polite people go a little crazy with people who don't agree with them! On the other hand, I suppose you could say why should we not be able to discuss these topics just because of the idiotic minority who cannot be civil to others? I guess I think that I come here to enjoy book-based discussion, and for a little bit of escapism. Politics and religion are too "real-life"!

I think the main issue isn't NOT discussing politics and religion but keeping it from spilling over into other areas of the site. You know its going to blow up sooner or later. (People have started wars over those topics, how can they be expected to be civil about them in a relatively anonymous setting?) That would definitely eat away at any sense of community that members feel.

Halo said:
Religion and politics seems to make normally well-balanced, polite people go a little crazy with people who don't agree with them!

And so they should...a heated discussion isn't a bad thing, but a 'discussion' with no heat is. A. Bad. Thing.

Should they? I can understand a discussion getting "heated" if people are passionate about their beliefs, but what I was really referring to is when people get so heated that their answers become little more than personal abuse eg, "How can you possibly think X? You must be stupid" etc etc (that was rather sanitised abuse by the way, but you know what I mean!) It is very, very difficult for some (a lot?) of people to argue an opposing view without getting personal and abusive to the person who doesn't agree with them (this is just my opinion, btw).

Halo said:
what I was really referring to is when people get so heated that their answers become little more than personal abuse eg, "How can you possibly think X? You must be stupid" etc etc (that was rather sanitised abuse by the way, but you know what I mean!)

See that little tag under your name with Moderator written on it? The situation you've mentioned is one of the things that it's useful for. ;)

Abulafia said:
See that little tag under your name with Moderator written on it? The situation you've mentioned is one of the things that it's useful for. ;)

Ooh, is it? I would never have known if you hadn't so kindly pointed it out. :p Anyway, if people could keep a civil tongue in their head there wouldn't have to be moderators! (sounding like my mother now :rolleyes: )

Halo said:
I can understand a discussion getting "heated" if people are passionate about their beliefs, but what I was really referring to is when people get so heated that their answers become little more than personal abuse eg, "How can you possibly think X? You must be stupid" etc etc (that was rather sanitised abuse by the way, but you know what I mean!) It is very, very difficult for some (a lot?) of people to argue an opposing view without getting personal and abusive to the person who doesn't agree with them (this is just my opinion, btw).

What you are saying, in regards to politics, can just as easily be levelled at 'book' discussions and any of the stuff that goes on in the 'General Chat' section and the 'TV and Films section'. Therefore, it really is a moot point to use as a reason for not having a politics section.

oh you know
their answers become little more than personal abuse eg, "How can you possibly think X? You must be stupid" etc etc (that was rather sanitised abuse by the way, but you know what I mean!) It is very, very difficult for some (a lot?) of people to argue an opposing view without getting personal and abusive to the person who doesn't agree with them

mr_michel said:
oh you know

Oh...do you mean like this...?

Billy Oblivion said:
it's probably not ooby doobie's fault that he (or possibly she, or perhaps somewhere inbetween) is a foul varmint. Some people, sadly to say, are just born that way. It's best that we treat them patronisingly and with a barely concealed distaste.

Ou Be Low hoo said:
Oh...do you mean like this...?

im not saying that you are the only one doing it, what im saying is that you do it on a regular basis, in almost every thread (if not all) you had participate

mr_michel said:
im not saying that you are the only one doing it

In that case wind your neck in and realise that not everyone is a member of this forum because they want to have brown smudges on their top lip.

I only 'do it' when the situation calls for it and most of the time it's quite obvious that I'm joking...

Ou Be Low hoo said:
I only 'do it' when the situation calls for it
it seems thats not the general impresion (and in particular mine)
Ou Be Low hoo said:
and most of the time it's quite obvious that I'm joking...
since you arent exactly in "good spirit" with a nice number of members due to your "jokes" probably its not as obvious as you might believe

mr_michel said:
since you arent exactly in "good spirit" with a nice number of members due to your "jokes" probably its not as obvious as you might believe

Oh well...you'll all catch-up in due course...I hope...I really, really hope...

So, how about that 'Politics Section' then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back