• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How To Grow The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
True@1stLight said:
There's already been an influx of insane numbers of people in the last two months. From an owners perspective perhaps this is no doubt a good thing. On the other hand from mine, I somewhat enjoy the fact that many of us know each other quite well from months and months of discussing things on here together. Not that new people would impede that, but getting lost in the masses takes away some of it's appeal I think.

Well, if you're worried about member numbers, I guess we could look into one of those ancient methods used by secret socities to ensure there aren't too many people in the inner circle - to join, you have to kill one of the current members ;)

Anyway, getting back to the topic, I quite like the current system. People can persuse as they like, and if they want to participate, they can join up.

I'm not quite so keen on Ou's idea about exapanding the scope of the place though. I thought this place was generally about books. Why physical recreation in partcular? If someone said stamp collecting or trainspotting, they'd have just a valid a reason as youself to request a forum. Since it's the bookiness of the place that unites us, surely we should focus on that?

Ice said:
But surely this is a book forum? Or am I mistaken :confused: People join because they want to discuss books, not because they want to discuss politics, religion or physical recreation. If I wished to discuss history, for example, I would find a good history forum where I could discuss the subject with like-minded people.

Can't put it better myself, so I'll just quote you Ice! :)

fluffy bunny said:
Well, if you're worried about member numbers, I guess we could look into one of those ancient methods used by secret socities to ensure there aren't too many people in the inner circle - to join, you have to kill one of the current members ;)

Wait, we can do that?!?? :eek:

True@1stLight said:
Wait, we can do that?!?? :eek:

see the thing its when i joined i thought that there were senior members (or other members tags) in this forum, so i killed three guys to see if i would get a cool tag :rolleyes:

mr_michel said:
see the thing its when i joined i thought that there were senior members (or other members tags) in this forum, so i killed three guys to see if i would get a cool tag :rolleyes:
But did it work? I guess not... too bad.

Are you all saying that the only things anyone here is interested in are books!?!?!?!?!

Just because we are drawn here by books, doesn't mean we should be binded by them.

Of course we all (well, most of us anyways :D ) have a life outside of books, but this site is called TheBookForum.Com ... not PeopleWhoLikeBooksButWouldRatherTalkAboutOtherStuffForum.Com

We already have a general chat section, which gets much more attention than any other part of the forum. Almost 22,000 posts in it, whereas the next biggest section is the general book discussion with only 9,000 posts. If it continues like this, the whole point of this forum won't matter.

I think that's the point some of us have been trying to make.

dele said:
But did it work? I guess not... too bad.

nop it didnt work :( and you have no idea how hard was to remove all those blood stains from my white ceremonial gown :mad:

can you believe i didnt even got those guys post count :eek:

dele said:
We already have a general chat section, which gets much more attention than any other part of the forum. Almost 22,000 posts in it, whereas the next biggest section is the general book discussion with only 9,000 posts.

I agree with you about the general chat section...the majority of the threads there are spam threads about hamsters or some other nonsense.

Ou Be Low hoo said:
I agree with you about the general chat section...the majority of the threads there are spam threads about hamsters or some other nonsense.

Yay! Another who agrees. :D

I'm actually on this board because I'm a writer not just because I "like books". Most of the people on the chat threads are writers too. And if we want to write rubbish about penguins or monkey/donkeys then that's our right. I think it's how we give our brains a bit of a work out before writing something more profound. Possibly. But I'm not going to stop anyway. If you don't like it **** off.

I'm not a writer but still I like the spam threads, they can be very fun to read.. Who knows, it might just be that I'm insane.

Hay

Don't worry Freya, you aren't the only non-writer here.

I love the general chat section, as anyone can see by looking through my posts. I just worry that if we open the forum up to discussing politics, religion, history, etc... in a designated section dedicated to it, it will lose its focus as a BOOK forum.

Billy Oblivion said:
I'm actually on this board because I'm a writer not just because I "like books". Most of the people on the chat threads are writers too. And if we want to write rubbish about penguins or monkey/donkeys then that's our right. I think it's how we give our brains a bit of a work out before writing something more profound. Possibly. But I'm not going to stop anyway. If you don't like it **** off.

WELL SAID THAT MAN!!!! :D

*passes you a drink*

dele said:
I love the general chat section, as anyone can see by looking through my posts. I just worry that if we open the forum up to discussing politics, religion, history, etc... in a designated section dedicated to it, it will lose its focus as a BOOK forum.

This ^ is utterly ridiculous. You are FOR having a general chat section, but AGAINST having a political seciton on the grounds that would cause a loss of focus!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

As Mr Billy Oblivion so elequently stated..."If you don't like it **** off!"

Can I get a "Whoomp-whoomp!"?

For the record Ou Be, yes I am FOR a general chat section because it's there we get to know each others and make friends.

I am AGAINST having other non-book related sections because it would cause a loss of focus. Any other questions, please PM me about it.

General Chat probably generates membership and its fairly common for it to be the largest section of any forum. Some folks like books AND like to talk to other people. Go figure. So what if large numbers of people write about donkeys and tell you to **** off a lot? *shrug* Just don't read it. I don't think I've ever been over in the chat forum much. Doesn't bother me a bit. And its been there the whole time...look at how well the Forum is doing. Good job Darren! Looks great.

Perhaps a newsletter to registered members would help? I've only been over to bookcrossing.com a few times but I get a news letter every so often and invariably I go check something out. Its pretty effective.

Edit: Let me add this. I just noticed that there are 19 people online right now which is more that the the most ever was at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back