• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How To Grow The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I do think Ou be has a point; however he joined presumably after reading a few posts and getting a feel for the place, thus the general banality of the forum shouldn't be that much of a shock to him.

I totally agree with Darren, a political/religious section wouldn't work here. Latest example of what could have been an intelligent conversation turning sour - see the thread entitled 'School Children'.

Freya said:
Yes I do think Ou be has a point; however he joined presumably after reading a few posts and getting a feel for the place, thus the general banality of the forum shouldn't be that much of a shock to him.

I totally agree with Darren, a political/religious section wouldn't work here. Latest example of what could have been an intelligent conversation turning sour - see the thread entitled 'School Children'.

Wait! I thought that was an intelligent conversation! The level of wit and humor was beyond me! Heavenly prawn balls, here I was thinking and everything, all for naught.

Damned donkeymonkeys.

No, no, no. The moment you tried to introduce a new perspective on the question, you made your first mistake. THINK INSIDE THE BOX!

Darren Lewis said:
The last semi-political thread that was in General Chat very quicly degenerated and had to be closed. I'm not convinced that the same won't happen if we have politics and/or religion areas.

I've chatted this over with the moderators before and the general opinion is that politics and religion are likely to cause a lot of problems.

So we all carry on living in a rubber ball, scared of a little friction, but content with multiple smiley faces?

Do you not think that by having a politics and religion area it would allow members to relax and know that if they want to talk shop they can, without the threat of immediate censorship?

I think The Book Forum should be about books. Not because of slanging matches, which are at least amusing, but just because books is what a book forum should be about. And as someone said, it's all politics anyway, even bats. Even those so-called adult Boy's Own Adventure stories from such as Wilbur Smith, or Romance Novels. Their political message is Don't think about anything! Relax and accept the status quo! Embrace the dumbing-down! Become part of the machine!

Sun-SSS said:
I think The Book Forum should be about books. Their political message is Don't think about anything! Relax and accept the status quo! Embrace the dumbing-down! Become part of the machine!

Either you are being intentionally contradictory or you have used a very misguided example to illustrate your point. The 'not thinking about anything', the 'relaxing and accepting the satus quo', the 'embracing of the dumbing-down' and the 'becoming part of the machine' are all exactly opposite to the changes some of us are attempting to cause.

Disagree if you want to, Ou Be, but don't edit what people have written to turn it into something you'd be justified in disagreeing with. Or is it just that you don't read too well, and can't tell the difference between what I wrote and what you quoted?

Ou Be Low hoo said:
...changes some of us are attempting to cause.
The only thing you are doing Ou Be is upsetting a lot of people by your behaviour. You've already been suspended for your attitude to other members. Are you trying to go for a permanent ban?

The fact is that this site is a private site. It has rules and boundaries. We're fairly relaxed about a lot of things, but you continue to try to push and bend the rules by posting inflammatory and deliberately antagonistic threads.

We don't allow political and religious discussions. End of story. If you don't like the rules we have here, nobody is forcing you to stay.

This thread has gone on long enough and is no longer serving a purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back