• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How to make a video game less fun

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Over analyze the motion of Angry Birds.

Excerpt:

Does the Bird’s Launch Speed Depend on the Angle?

If the bird is indeed shot from an elastic cord, then technically the bird should go faster when shot horizontally than when it is shot straight up. Why? Physics. Let me draw a diagram for a bird that is shot straight up. Also, let me assume that this sling shot is just a spring.
awww.wired.com_images_blogs_wiredscience_2011_05_untitled_8.jpg
Let me assume a spring with a spring constant k and a bird mass of m. How do I find an expression for how fast it will be when it leaves the sling shot? Yes, use the work-energy principle. Why? Because I know the starting and ending positions, but I don’t know the time. Since work-energy doesn’t use time, it is a perfect fit.
I will let the Earth + bird + slingshot be my system and it will start at y1 = 0 meters and end at y2 = s. Since I have the Earth and the slingshot both in my system, I can have both gravitational potential energy and spring potential energy. Oh, let me point out that the bird starts from rest and there is no work done on the system. The work-energy principle would say:
awww.wired.com_images_blogs_wiredscience_2011_05_la_te_xi_t_1_221.jpg
Maybe it wasn’t clear, but the spring potential energy is (1/2)ks2 and the gravitational potential energy is mgy. Now, I can solve for the final velocity:
awww.wired.com_images_blogs_wiredscience_2011_05_la_te_xi_t_1_25.jpg

(continued. stupid 5 images per post limit.)

But what if I shoot at an angle? What will change? Really, just the starting and ending height. Here is a diagram:
awww.wired.com_images_blogs_wiredscience_2011_05_untitled_9.jpg
Let me once again call the starting location y1 = 0 meters. Now the ending position will be:
awww.wired.com_images_blogs_wiredscience_2011_05_la_te_xi_t_1_24.jpg
Using the same ideas as before, this will give a final velocity of:
awww.wired.com_images_blogs_wiredscience_2011_05_la_te_xi_t_1_25.jpg
The maximum velocity will be when it is shot horizontally (well, technically it would go the fastest when shot straight down) and the slowest when shot straight up.

There are no emotions in physics!

Besides, forget about the individual angriness of each bird, I am worried about my own anger when I spent almost a week on level 4-2 in Angry Birds Rio.

I shall never be able to play games such as Smack the Penguin again without thinking of such things as kinetic energy etc...instead of the pleasure gained by belting the crap out of pingu. Thanks. :p

But what if I shoot at an angle? What will change? Really, just the starting and ending height.

Doesn't this affect how high the bird is falling from? If so, gravity, 9.8m/sec squared would provide more force when shot higher. Even though the speed of the bird goes slower when shot upwards, the downward force would increase due to gravity. When shot straight forward, less force from gravity, but force is mostly from the rubber bands.

Back