• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

HPV Vaccine

I thought you said your daughter was 9?

She is beergood,but they are not making the vaccine obligatory,we have a choice if we want to or not, and since she is only 9 I will wait.Up to now it was very expensive to get it,now they are giving it for free at the school along with the Hepatitis A and B.

Did I not write down something clearly again?

In a country with such a high level of under-age sex and teenage pregnancy (the US has the worst record on these things in the West, apart from the UK), since this is available, isn't it wise to ensure that as many girls as possible are vaccinated as early as possible?

I don't suppose many of the parents of all the girls who get pregnant in the teens in the US think they are going to do so or encourage them to do so etc.

Did I not write down something clearly again?

The quote you yourself posted said that for the best protection, the vaccine needs to be administered at about the age your daughter is now - or certainly within the next couple of years. And if it's free, what's the problem?

Of course all new drugs carry with them a certain risk, but I suppose I just don't see why this one should be seen as any more controversial than, say, chickenpox or flu vaccines. And even if it is new, it's been through enough testing that it's at least both much safer and much more likely to do any good for the health of your child than experimental treatments at unregulated Chinese clinics. ;)

The quote you yourself posted said that for the best protection, the vaccine needs to be administered at about the age your daughter is now - or certainly within the next couple of years. And if it's free, what's the problem?
I sense a bit of irony in your words beergood but I can handle it.First of all money is not the problem when it comes to my kids.Second, the quote also states that it's best before they become sexually active.My daughter just turned 9,and is not yet sexually active and I as a mother have decided that I will wait "within the next couple of years"and then I will see.

Of course all new drugs carry with them a certain risk, but I suppose I just don't see why this one should be seen as any more controversial than, say, chickenpox or flu vaccines. And even if it is new, it's been through enough testing that it's at least both much safer and much more likely to do any good for the health of your child than experimental treatments at unregulated Chinese clinics. ;)
I knew you were going to bring this up too,just took you longer than I thought.Now really beergood, do you think we are talking about the same circumstances?I have a choice to wait,my daughter thank God is living a healthy nine year olds life.I wish nobody would be in a situation not to have a choice but there are parents that make decisions every day and hope that it is the best decision for their kids.

There are parents here that have gone to court to fight obligatory vaccines and others do as they are told fromtheir doctors,who is to say who is right?I think it is an individuals choice.

... I think it is an individuals choice.

Funnily enough, the issue of choice came up elsewhere – it's a word that seems to get tossed around willy nilly these days.

Whose choice?

Who gets a choice?

Does your daughter get a choice? Not at nine, on this issue, no. So straight away, we see that choice is not a universal – it only exists for some people.

I'm slightly confused about your "I will wait "within the next couple of years"and then I will see". Don't you want your daughter to be protected against the cancer in question?

Have you refused other vaccines for your daughter – such as the hepatitis ones that you mentioned?

Is there a problem here on the wider level that some parents are reluctant to allow this vaccination because it means acknowledging that their daughters will grow up (are growing up) and will, in all probability, have sex?

Funnily enough, the issue of choice came up elsewhere – it's a word that seems to get tossed around willy nilly these days.

Whose choice?

Who gets a choice?

Does your daughter get a choice? Not at nine, on this issue, no. So straight away, we see that choice is not a universal – it only exists for some people.

I'm slightly confused about your "I will wait "within the next couple of years"and then I will see". Don't you want your daughter to be protected against the cancer in question?

Have you refused other vaccines for your daughter – such as the hepatitis ones that you mentioned?

Is there a problem here on the wider level that some parents are reluctant to allow this vaccination because it means acknowledging that their daughters will grow up (are growing up) and will, in all probability, have sex?

Sybarite,should I give the choice to my daughter to make at 9?

My decision has nothing to do with aknowledging that she will grow up to have sex,I am hoping to teach her about protecting herself and her health and what she does is up to her when she is ready,just like I did with my son.

Ofcourse I want to protect her Sybarite,but I also think that I have a few years before she is sexually active,now,I could change my mind by next year and give it to her but for now I am not ,for this year.

Sybarite,should I give the choice to my daughter to make at 9?

I didn't suggest that you should, Libra. I was merely pointing out that the idea of 'choice' gets bandied around a lot at present – but it's not universal. Only some people get a choice in anything.

... My decision has nothing to do with aknowledging that she will grow up to have sex,I am hoping to teach her about protecting herself and her health ...

I do understand what you're trying to say – but if you're saying that you want to "teach her about protecting herself and her health", then you're implying that you think/hope that doing that will do the same job as the vaccine is intended to.

So it's a bit difficult to say that sex has nothing to do with it.

... Ofcourse I want to protect her Sybarite,but I also think that I have a few years before she is sexually active,now,I could change my mind by next year and give it to her but for now I am not ,for this year.

So as I asked earlier, have you refused other vaccinations for your children?

I do understand what you're trying to say – but if you're saying that you want to "teach her about protecting herself and her health", then you're implying that you think/hope that doing that will do the same job as the vaccine is intended to.

So it's a bit difficult to say that sex has nothing to do with it.
Sybarite, I am not stating that I will depend on me teaching her to protect herself is the way to go,I am also not stating that she will not get the shot,I am stating that I will not give it to her this year.

So as I asked earlier, have you refused other vaccinations for your children?
Yes,the chicken pox vaccine,I wanted her to go through the chicken pox but after long talks and many appointments with the pediatrician advising me to give it to her, I did.Was not easy to say yes since my son had been through them and had no problems.I also had a hard time deciding on the Meningitis one 15 years ago(for my son),but there was an outbreak here and I finally agreed to that one too.

So what is the worst thing that can happen if your 9 or 10 year old gets the HPV shot? Never heard that one explained well before.

... Yes,the chicken pox vaccine,I wanted her to go through the chicken pox but after long talks and many appointments with the pediatrician advising me to give it to her, I did.Was not easy to say yes since my son had been through them and had no problems.I also had a hard time deciding on the Meningitis one 15 years ago(for my son),but there was an outbreak here and I finally agreed to that one too.

Fair enough.

So what is the worst thing that can happen if your 9 or 10 year old gets the HPV shot? Never heard that one explained well before.

There is no explanation yet of the "worst" thing that can happen.
The HPV vaccination has not been given out long enough to know what the long term affects are.
I think that you are making the right decision Libra.
I am currently 19 and have made the decision not to get the HPV vaccination because again I don't know what the long term affects could be and I would rather not take the chance.
I am also taking a university class in Disease and Society and my prof (who has a Phd in health studies) advised against getting it as well. Not necessarily forever but just untill they know what the long term side affects are.
So again I believe you made a good choice Libra :)

The HPV vaccination has not been given out long enough to know what the long term affects are.
I am currently 19 and have made the decision not to get the HPV vaccination because again I don't know what the long term affects could be and I would rather not take the chance.
I am also taking a university class in Disease and Society and my prof (who has a Phd in health studies) advised against getting it as well. Not necessarily forever but just untill they know what the long term side affects are.

Thank you amanda,:) You should be a fly on the wall come next pediatrician appointment.

This is the best post of this thread--Thank you:flowers:

Thank you amanda.:flowers:

I respect and appreciate every opinion posted here because it helped me debate my own thoughts.

Back