• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Humanity is overrated

Paul the Human

Hi. I've been looking for a place to hang out and this place looks like it might be just about right.

My name is Paul. I'm 46 years old and have been an avid reader since I was a kid. I'm more than an avid reader, though... I guess you could say that I'm an entertainment junkie. Books, Music, Movies, TV, Games... The internets. Mostly fantasy and science fiction, but I like a few others, as well.

I do most of my reading these days via Nook App in my Galaxy Tab. I fought it for a long time, convinced that I would miss holding an actual paper book in my hands, but I finally gave it a shot and I'm sold. I'm currently reading "Born Queen" by Greg Keyes. It is book four of his Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series. I'm quite enjoying it.

Let's see, my favorite author right now is Brandon Sanderson, but my favorite (recently read) book is "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm not sure what I'm going to read next, but maybe I'll start a thread to see if I can get some good suggestions. I bet no one has ever done that before!

Sanderson is very good. I've only read Mistborn series and the sort of standalone Alloy of Law...but that's billed as a Mistborn novel. I heard Way of Kings on audio cd.

I'm more into star wars books, or I was at least. They got stupid recently.

Hi, readsalot. I've read everything by Sanderson and liked it all. He has a couple of stand alone books, "Warbreaker" and "Elantris", that were phenomenal.

I haven't read the new Mistborn book yet, but it is definitely on my short list.

Hi Paul,

Have you tried any of Joe Abercrombie's stuff? I'd definitely recommend The Blade Itself and then the rest of the First Law Trilogy.

As for sci-fi, I don't read too much of that, but when I do it's almost exclusively Iain M Banks or Alastair Reynolds, two authors whose works I really enjoy a lot.

Hello there. I'm into fantasy as well, although I haven't read Brandon Sanderson or Patrick Rothfuss yet. My favorites in the genre are Terry Goodkind and Jacqueline Carey. I also liked Richard K. Morgan's The Steel Remains for its darkness and explicit nature.

I haven't read the First Law Trilogy, but I have had it recommended before. I'll definitely have to check it out.

I love Goodkind, too... but I sometimes have trouble explaining exactly why I love him so much. Heheh. I'm still not sure what I thought of "The Omen Machine"...

The Omen Machine felt light on action and adventure. I did enjoy the villains and Richard's lack of speechifying so it wasn't a complete failure. But yeah, something felt off with that book.

speechifying??

Yeah, that's one of Richard's most powerful magics! He can give one hell of a speech!

My favorite thing about that series was the statement that Goodkind was making via Richard's long-winded speeches, actually. The anti-organized religion and anti-theocracy message was loud and clear in those books.

Back