• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hunter S. Thompson

He`ll be missed. Love him or hate him, he put "balls" into writing! He was brought up with a great respect for literature, including Jack London, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jack Kerouac. When I read his "Hells Angels", It blew me away, especially the last page or two, "The legacy of the big machine..." I recommend either of his two books of letters, to get an idea of what this guy was really like!

The connection between my birthday (Feb 20) and guns grows - Kurt Cobain was born on the same day. :D

God, that's is sad. I loved 'Fear and loathing in Las Vegas' (the book). They're filming The Rum Diary now, I believe.

Yeah - it's a real shame that Dr. Thompson won't be around anymore. His writing was definitely getting uneven, but the guy had an absolute gift, genius really, for turning phrases. One of my favorites, which refers to Lester Maddox (an infamous American bigot), says that "there will be a special dung heap in the low-rent section of Hell for that brute."

Hunter S. was a real breakthrough journalist, but I think he was never far from pulling the trigger. Surround yourself with guns, and something's gotta give.

Maybe it's not all that sad. Maybe he thought of it as a lifestyle choice. Apparently he was getting pretty infirm and maybe didn't want to have that kind of life.

What a legacy, though. Nobody will fill his shoes without looking like a hedonistic copycat fake.

New news...

So, Anita Thompson said that her husband shot himself while they were on the phone. She said he put the receiver down and she was just waiting for him to get back on. Instead, she heard a "loud, muffled noise".

He shot himself in the head in the kitchen. His son, daughter-in-law, and grandson were in the house when it occurred.

Anita said that her husband had been discussing suicide in recent months - wanting to leave at the top of his game.

::sigh:: :(

Bought Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas today. I've read it before but didn't own it for some reason.

Is there a better first sentence anywhere?

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

no, there is not. that's the best first sentence anywhere. goddamn, it is beautiful. what have I been missing all my life? I want to hear that sentence every goddamn day.

Hunter Thompson Appreciation thread

We really are remiss in not acknowledging the work of the recently departed guru of Gonzo. Thompson was the master of the rant and took exaggeration to artistics heights. It's been awhile since I read The Great Shark Hunt, a large collection of his collected essays and reports. He is most noted for the Fear and Loathing books ...

What say, folks?

Well, we did have a little thread going, but it sank.

"The Edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."--Hunter S.

Well,
I would recommend " The Rum Diaries." It was recommended to me by my brother in law who has studied American lit.

It has all the attributes an American classic;Really well written with no real ending.

Back