• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I am Officially Changing my Name (maybe):

-Carlos-

My full name is Carlos Rios (Spanish). Its direct translations into English are as follow:

Carl Rivers
Charles Rivers
Charlie Rivers
Chuck Rivers

Which (English) name would you choose (like most)?

I don't like Charlie Rivers. Sounds like an old white haired man who'd be on tv at 9 arguing about religion and politics...

Carlos is the Spanish form of Karl - Old Norse for 'free man'. So your English name would be Freeman Rivers.

I don't like any of them. If you are going to change your screen name to your real name, then just use your real name and not the English version.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Carlos Rios! But if you decide to change it, Carl Rivers would be my top choice.

Why do you want to change your name? Carlos Rios has a nice ring to it. That said, Charles Rivers is reminiscent of Prague.

I like Charles Rivers... As far as something like Chuck, that is usually a variation off of the name Charles... I don't care what your name is though someone at some time will pin some other variation/name on you if you know them long enough! :) Also don't accept Chuckie.

Go for them all. We like middle names here, and it doesn't matter if they're the same name. There are countless Ian Shauns, for example.

So, Carl Charles Charlie Chuck Rivers.

I'd maybe leave out the Charlie. It's a (slightly common, fashionable) girls' name in the UK.

When I was the age of one, my family left our native Cuba and headed to Madrid, Spain where we lived for two years. On May of 1970, we arrived in America and settled (like most Cuban exiles) in Miami, Florida – as close to the island as possible. That was nearly 40 years ago.

When I was around 14 years young I made a life-long decision. My choice was to either live a Cuban lifestyle or an American one. I chose the latter. All my friends growing were mainly Caucasian or (like myself) very Americanized. I do not consider myself a Cuban-American but an American-Cuban. All I know Is American, the only country I have ever known. I do not have any memories of a life in Cuban: No binding cord to that country whatsoever. I learnt Spanish on the streets of Miami and I speak it horribly; I can’t even read or write it, that’s sad.

On paper I am Cuban, but in heart and soul I’m an American. My (Spanish) name does not fit me at all. It’s far from the right fit, it’s not me, it’s wrong. My English name (if I decide to officially change it) is going to be a direct translation so I will not change (really) the name my parents gave me, it will just be in English. I see no harm in that. I mean I will live and die in the good old USA, so changing my name in the way I want is fine, right? It proclaims the real me. I feel strongly that Carl Rivers (Carl might be the winner) is who I truly am, now and forever.

I am Carl Rivers already…I feel it so.

Muy bien, Carl Rivers.

ETA: Oh, you're reading Lolita. Please let us know how you enjoy that. It's one of the forum's most-loved books.

Even though I am only half Colombian and speak a smattering of Spanish, I never felt the urge to forsake my heritage. Different stroke for different folks I reckon.

Can I call you Carrrrrrl and pretend you're a pirate?

ETA: Oh, you're reading Lolita. Please let us know how you enjoy that. It's one of the forum's most-loved books.

Don't hold your breath.

Back