• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I give up!

Wabbit

Hi

I was reading "Sign For The Sacred," by Storm Constantine, and I give up! :)

I just can't get into this book. Some of it is interesting. It's well written... but just...

I'm about page 180ish. Normally I give a book at least 100 pages before I feel that it's wasting my time.

How long do you all go into a book before you decide it's no good? Or maybe you don't stop and keep going?

Regards
SillyWabbit

Normally 100-200 pages, though I rarely don't finish a novel. Sometimes I just get too bored and when I am not reading just to avoid the novel, I know its time to put it down. Sometimes I'll mark the place and go back in a month or two to see if it was just me or if its the novel.

i always strive to finish any book that i read though there are a couple of exceptions
"The Summons" by Grisham : it was hopeless
some book by John Le Carre : his writing style was too much to digest
it really irritates me if there are any books half read

2 exceptions, otherwise I always try to finish:

The Simarrillion
The Diary of Alice B. Toklas

I am a pretty fast reader, but if the novel is really not very good I might skim a bit.

Usually, if I like the first ten pages, I'm in for the duration . . . um, well. Except for my occasional bad habit of getting distracted mid-book by a different book and then forgetting to go back to the first book!

It's not so much as give up as I can read almost anything but it's factors external to the book that make me discard it; not my problem as a reader but that of the author for not successfully capturing my attention.

I also nearly always finish books i start, but there have been some notable exceptions!!

The Silmarillion by Tolkien (same as Ashley) - can anyone say information overload?? Ive tried several times to get through it, but i end up just reading sections because otherwise my head gets so filled up with names and places that it all blurs and i cant work out who is who anymore!!

The Iliad by Homer - tried to read this, and i still go back to it occasionally and read a bit more each time - mebbe next time i should just skip a few pages when he starts announcing every single commander on the battlefield, their parentage and a concise report of their whole territories!! Can anyone say <snore>??

Phil :p

A number of years ago I got a good ways in to "The Coming of the King" by Nikolai Tolstoy but gave up on it & haven't touched it since. That's the only book I can think of that I've never finished once I started. Maybe I'll go back to it some day....but I doubt it.

Bill

HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :)

It seems like pretty much everybody toughs it out with a book :)

I just can't keep reading if I don't like it. Life's too short, right? :D I mean, I could die tomorrow! I guess I am too extremist person. Or maybe I just have a short attention span lol

Regards
Silly Wabbit

I'm with you Wabbit.
I'm a relatively slow reader I guess, so books tend to eat up a lot of my time. If I find I don't care about the characters or story by around page 100, I move on.

I'm with you Silly Wabbit, I don't continue with a book that I'm not into...although I may go back to it and try again..life's too short. ;)

The only time I force myself to perservere is when it's just the characters I don't like - sometimes that can tell me something about myself. For example, I had a terrible time getting through "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Garcia Marquez...I hated all the characters...but by the end I was really glad I perservered.

I have never been able to read Ulysses by Joyce and I've tried several times... I also could not get through Nikolai Tolstoy's "Coming of the King". Neither could I finish "Mists of Avalon", which people tell me they loved.

Sometimes I have to wait until I'm in the right frame of mind..i.e. a mystery frame, a fantasy frame, a historical fiction frame etc etc. If I'm not in the right mindset then the book won't work. :rolleyes:

I'm the same way about needing to be in the right frame of mind for a book, Vixen. I try to choose my books very carefully to meet the mood I am in at the time I start reading it...because it only takes me two to three days on average to finish a book, I usually continue in that mood at least through the book.

Its actually very effective, I believe there have only been three books that I've not finished in my life.

Mile-O

Erm ..... dunno :) Probably the poem (its the Penguin Classics version), but its not in the original Ancient Greek or anything ;)

Phil

Back