• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I got a sword.

Well, if I saw this thing walking across my ceiling - instead of safely dead and encased in glass - I'd drop dead myself.
Funny thing about the nearly universal terror of spiders - arachnephobia. This particular critter is not particularly dangerous to humans. Thought it is venemous (as all spiders are) - a house cat could probably inflict more damage. Yet, we cuddle the cat and drop dead at the mere sight of a picture of a huge spider. Very strange.

Libre said:
Well, if I saw this thing walking across my ceiling - instead of safely dead and encased in glass - I'd drop dead myself.
Funny thing about the nearly universal terror of spiders - arachnephobia. This particular critter is not particularly dangerous to humans. Thought it is venemous (as all spiders are) - a house cat could probably inflict more damage. Yet, we cuddle the cat and drop dead at the mere sight of a picture of a huge spider. Very strange.

Tee Hee...show me on the application for humanity, where is says," Must be rational where creeepy varmits are concerned.." ;)

do you think we're born with an apprehension of creepy crawly things or is it learned-i.e. by Mom or a sibling shrieking and carrying on, or yelling "don't touch that thing!"?

Miss Shelf said:
do you think we're born with an apprehension of creepy crawly things or is it learned-i.e. by Mom or a sibling shrieking and carrying on, or yelling "don't touch that thing!"?
That's hard to say. But I think a fear of creepy varmints is inborn - or else why would it be so universal? There is just something about them. Yet, I am fascinated by them - thus my penchant for aquiring such specimens.

I call anybug in the house "a bug with a death wish"-especially the ones who taunt me while I'm at the computer. Seriously, I think flies follow me from room to room and when I settle down, they proceed to annoy me like they want me to kill them. :D

Here's a fun fact for you guys. Did you know the story that daddy longlegs are the most poisonous spider in the world is a myth?

Daddy-longlegs (Opiliones) - these arachnids make their living by eating decomposing vegetative and animal matter although are opportunist predators if they can get away with it. They do not have venom glands, fangs or any other mechanism for chemically subduing their food. Therefore, they do not have poison and, by the powers of logic, cannot be poisonous from venom. Some have defensive secretions that might be poisonous to small animals if ingested. So, for these daddy-long-legs, the tale is clearly false.

aspiders.ucr.edu_images_opilionid.jpg check out this link http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

manatherindrell said:
Here's a fun fact for you guys. Did you know the story that daddy longlegs are the most poisonous spider in the world is a myth?

Daddy-longlegs (Opiliones) - these arachnids make their living by eating decomposing vegetative and animal matter although are opportunist predators if they can get away with it. They do not have venom glands, fangs or any other mechanism for chemically subduing their food. Therefore, they do not have poison and, by the powers of logic, cannot be poisonous from venom. Some have defensive secretions that might be poisonous to small animals if ingested. So, for these daddy-long-legs, the tale is clearly false.

aspiders.ucr.edu_images_opilionid.jpg check out this link http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

When I was a kid, I was told that Daddy-long legs couldn't bite you because their legs were too long and they couldn't reach you. I actually believed this! Maybe I still do. :eek:

Miss Shelf said:
I call anybug in the house "a bug with a death wish"-especially the ones who taunt me while I'm at the computer. Seriously, I think flies follow me from room to room and when I settle down, they proceed to annoy me like they want me to kill them. :D

If you had Libre's spider, you wouldn't have any flies. :eek:

That is one of the grossest-looking bugs I've ever seen. I'm going to go somewhere else and try to erase this image from my mind so I don't have nightmares tonight. manatherindrell, you are evil for posting that picture! :eek:

manatherindrell said:
I'm trying, but I gotta get my hands on a digital camera first. BTW this thread took a really weird turn didn't it.:confused:

It is quite usual, you know...

Libre said:

And whould you believe there are people who have spiders as home critters? Instead of a cat or a dog? We have those in Russia. My opinion is they do it out of inclination to look different, rather than of their love for spiders.

And... In our family we were taught not to fear spiders: there were some Christian tale about a spider saving some of the first Christians from Romans, if I remember correctly. My granddad told it to me and ordered never to kill spiders, even if they drop on my head...

Even if they ... :eek:

I flushed a wolf spider this morning (freezing weather outside.) Do you think it had any chance of ending up in a parallel spider world? Alive? I don't know that much about plumbing.

StillILearn said:

I flushed a wolf spider this morning (freezing weather outside.) Do you think it had any chance of ending up in a parallel spider world? Alive? I don't know that much about plumbing.

Do wolf spiders howl at the moon at night? Just wondering...:D

StillILearn said:

Easily.
That's why I prefer to do all the plumbing in our flats or houses myself - to be sure that all I am flushing down winds up where it belongs.

Back