• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I have too much stuff!

Ashlea

Have determined that I own too many material possessions. I have this need periodically to reduce the number of things that I own. I've already found two bags of books to get rid of, and I'll be starting with the closets soon.

Does anyone else have this obsession? It just hits me like this about 2 times a year.

I tend to not throw anything away unless I really have to - our house is full of useless items :eek:

I'm going through this at the moment. I'm moving house soon(ish) so I'm packing up all my crap and wondering how much of it I'm going to use and how much of it is going to travel from a drawer here to a drawer in the new place not to be again until the time comes for me to pack it all up again.

There's a clothes bank on my street so I started off by giving away all the stuff I won't be wearing again, but that still leaves all my old books, shoes, toys, games and general clutter. Still, we'll get a couple of men with a van in to do the move for us, so it won't be my back that breaks.

I suppose I could go through and find the books I really hated and release them for book crossing, or just have a forum give away, but with all the boxes of them I have to go through, it's not going to happen any time soon.

Ashlea said:
Have determined that I own too many material possessions. I have this need periodically to reduce the number of things that I own. I've already found two bags of books to get rid of, and I'll be starting with the closets soon.

Does anyone else have this obsession? It just hits me like this about 2 times a year.
You could donate the things you don't want? Or give them to charity...

Put it all in the attic. When that's full, knock through your attic to make another attic. When that's full, dig a cellar.

We're moving to a place with two lofts instead of the one we have now. This cellar digging idea intrigues me. Wouldn't the house foundations get in the way? Is there a knack to it?

No, no, I shouldn't imagine there'll be any problems. I'm just going to take the carpet up in one room, take out a few floorboards, and start digging. Might borrow that JCB from next door, its not seen much digging action since it dug the random hole in the middle of the garden. Of course, it would be might hard to squeeze a JCB through the back door. I'll just have to knock down the kitchen wall to get it in.

No - you watch out for the spiders. Good cellar digging folk like myself put spiders in our attics and cellars to keep nosy people like you out. Otherwise, all my stuff that I'd put up there wouldn't be safe. I might hang a dead body somewhere in the cellar too, just to be doubly sure noone tries to get to my treasures.

What about a tiger pit? If you're digging a cellar anyway, it's no great effort to dig a tiger pit here and there.

Hmmm. There's a thought. But how would I ensure the safety of the penguins? I mean, they're pretty free to roam around as they choose at the moment, I wouldn't want the sneaky things making their way to the cellar and falling into the tigers below. I wonder if you can penguin proof doors.

When I go to the two local thrift shops now, about ten percent of the stuff on the hangers was in my closet at some point. I don't think I've bought anything back yet. :eek:

But every time I give books away I regret it. Two months later I'll go looking for that dog-eared boyscout manual on using a compass or the horrific Kentucky Derby cookbook (ham and eggs in aspic anyone?), and then realize I either lent it away or thrift shopped it and I want it back.

I try so hard not to be a pack rat, but somehow that 1985 can of hearts of palm has moved with me three times and insists on lurking in the back corner of the cupboard next to the three year old Christmas pud. I've had a pack of smoked eel in the freezer for about four years. Though I don't think it's safe, I'm attached to it.l Once I found an exploded can of Pepsi in there--I thought it was a man's shoe.

As much as I hate to get rid of books, I have to admit that my reading taste has changed considerably since college, and if it changes back and I suddenly want to read a lot of Latin writers in translation, I'll still be able to obtain a copy, for free, from the library. Also, I seem to have obtained a lot of pseudo-useful research books and coffee table books that are pretty but have no purpose in my life.

Billy Oblivion said:
Everybody hates marmite.
I don't hate it
1.gif

Back