• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ashy said:
It is nice to hear you also like Roald Dahl. :) Very funny and very twisted. I knew My Uncle Oswald, too. But unfortunately I didn't got chance to read.
I like to think of Roald Dahl as the reset button for books. You read and read of stuff that can get heavier and heavier, and can get less and less fun. Then you read a Roald Dahl and voila! You're happy and ready to go again!

If you can, read My Uncle Oswald. It's really his hidden gem.

ds

I just finished reading Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz. I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't a favorite. Koontz again describes everything vividly (especially the dialogue at dinner) and it does get a little tedious. Life Expectancy cannot compare to my first read by Koontz, The Taking, which didn't interest me with the pages and pages of rain descriptions. I plan on reading older books by Koontz in the future and hope they do him more justice than the two I've read.

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami.

My second Murakami book,Very enjoyable, will definitely read the rest.

Cabrasopa :cool:

cabrasopa said:
Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami.

My second Murakami book,Very enjoyable, will definitely read the rest.

Hi Cabrasopa,

I hoped your first Murakami book was Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. If not, please try it.
I think it was a best book of his & will be.

ashy said:
I hoped your first Murakami book was Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. If not, please try it.

That’s my least favourite, but does seem to be high on many lists.

I'm partial to _A Wild Sheep Chase_, but will concede that _The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle_ is his masterpiece.

ashy said:
Hi Cabrasopa,

It was 'The wind up bird chronicles' that got me hooked

jay said:
That’s my least favourite, but does seem to be high on many lists.

I'm partial to _A Wild Sheep Chase_, but will concede that _The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle_ is his masterpiece.

Hi jay, nice to see you

Well, I think murakami have his two literature periods and his first book of latter side is "south of border, west of sun".( I don't know it correct expression)

I disappointed his fisrt long novel _The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle_ in the seconds period. Because he tried to put a hands to other people very first time.
(It means he grow older and wiser but I don't like)

You know, in _A Wild Sheep Chase_, the last of his adolescence trilogy,
the "I" didn't do anything to get my wife back.
And "I" went to hawaii with young girl named yuki to rest in the book _dnace, dance dance_.

But, he tried to communicate with other people and get back in _The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle_ .
So, I think he lost his unique attraction.

In the book, _hard boild ~~~_ , he talks about only himself on the whole. Every other characters were just ghost(not really).

So that's my favourites in his books

But I admit _The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle_ is also good. :)

ashy

The Gunslinger - Stephen King
Not anything special but I hope it will get better as I get further in the series. The writing seemed different from what I would expect of a fantasy book, and also from the other Stephen King books I have read.

Hay, the books do get better. King does use a different style for these books. I finally finished the final book, The Dark Tower, last night. I might re-read the first four, as I can't really remember them very well.

King also wrote in the introduction that some people had trouble with the first book, but he hoped that people would hang in there. Then again why wouldn't he, he wrote the book. There just seemed to be something missing in the first book.

I just finished "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier.

Not usually my type of book; it was for school. Although, I did find it enjoyable.

Finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Not a good book to read if you're trying to stay away from chocolates.

I loved it. And I still wonder how in the world Johnny Depp is gonna portray Willy Wonka. They seem so different from each other.

ds

try charlie and the great glass elevator next. all dahl's books are great. i love reading them as an adult, they are lovely and affordable youth elixir.

Crow killer The saga of Liver eating Johnson

I did a bit of research, seems like not much of the story is based on fact. Can't really recommend it, but at least it was a quick read.

I just finished The Sound and the Fury, and I'm not quite sure what to say about it. It was a hard book for me to stick with and a hard story to follow. I am glad I read it, Faulkner gave wonderful descriptions in the book that made it easier to work through. I liked getting all the different perspectives of the family members and I think their characters came out really well, I do think the timeline that the story was presented in made it more difficult to stay with but I don't know that it would make the story better to have it in correct order.

I just finished The Club Dumas, by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. I really enjoyed this one, even more than I did his previous work, The Flanders Panel. The ending was so much more satisfying. It tied classic literature into the story through the characters who were searching for rare books, principally Dumas and his The Three Muskateers.

I think I'll eventually buy this book just to have it on my shelf. And I don't say that about many books I read.

The rest of Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry is next on the list!

Kookamoor- I'm glad to hear you liked Club Dumas, it is sitting in my stack of books to read, I'm hoping to get to it soon.

I have just finished reading
*The Shadowlands* by Leonore Fleischer :
What a beautiful, tragic, moving book, it is the love story of the author C. S. Lewis and I must have used half a box of tissues. So many wonderful moments

Kookamoor said:
I just finished The Club Dumas, by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. I really enjoyed this one, even more than I did his previous work, The Flanders Panel. The ending was so much more satisfying. It tied classic literature into the story through the characters who were searching for rare books, principally Dumas and his The Three Muskateers.

I think I'll eventually buy this book just to have it on my shelf. And I don't say that about many books I read.
Kookamoor,

I'm just midway through The Club Dumas. Funny thing is that I saw the Johnny Depp movie, The Ninth Gate, on DVD a few months ago and didn't realize it was based on The Club Dumas. As I started reading the first couple of chapters, I kept thinking, "this sounds familiar" and then it finally clicked when Corso was described with his canvas book bag and hand-rolled cigarettes. I'm really enjoying the book. It's much more complex than the movie, which is usually the case. If you like Johnny Depp, you might want to check out the movie.

ell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back