• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Simple as Snow - Gregory Galloway.

I liked the book. It was a high school sweetheart type tale, but with a completely unique (to me at least) spin on it.

Full review: HERE

'Grapes of Wrath' by John Steinbeck, depressing but very impressive.
'Death on the Nile' by Agatha Christie. I guess I'll never make it and find the solution before Hercule Poirot solves the mystery. :rolleyes:
'The Character of Rain' by Amelié Nothomb. Interesting point of view, told by a child of the age 3, but I like some of her other books better.

I just went on a Chuck Palahniuk binge.
I read 4 of his books in three days. (I'm not yet back to normal.)
Diary, Invisible Monsters, Lullaby, and Survivor.

Does anyone know how to come down from this?

Read Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich. That'll send you down like a ton of bricks. ;)

Anyways, I finished Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. It was a great book, it had that air of magic in it that I think all childrens books should have.

graydaisy said:
I just went on a Chuck Palahniuk binge.
I read 4 of his books in three days. (I'm not yet back to normal.)
Diary, Invisible Monsters, Lullaby, and Survivor.
Does anyone know how to come down from this?

Might as well finish it up: _Choke_ and _Fight Club_ or just switch to some writers that make Chuck's writing seem sloppy, over-written, trying to much too hard and under-achieving.

Amy Hempel for instance.

Paul Auster may be a good antidote.

I read Choke a while back. It was my first Palahniuk.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard alot about Amy Hempel just lately, so I think she's going to be my next read.

graydaisy said:
I read Choke a while back. It was my first Palahniuk.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard alot about Amy Hempel just lately, so I think she's going to be my next read.

_Choke_ had some great ideas. I think that's where Chuck peaked, in my eyes it's been a rapid descent into really bad writing. Not sure if hitting the Best Seller list (with _Choke_) had an effect or it loosened up his editorial demands or what. Although I remain curious as to what _Haunted_ will be like, and then I hope to hell he stops this 'horror' theme.

Yes, check out Amy Hempel. (Chuck admittedly worships her)
Sadly, her second book is out of print, but the 3 others, one just months old, should (hopefully) be available in most shops.

www.amyhempel.com

Clevenger's _The Contortionist’s Handbook_ is also a fair read, and if you need a Chuck reference, he said something like, 'it's the best book I've read in the last 10 years'.

I just ordered The Dog of the Marriage by Hempel.

While I wait for it to be delivered, I think that I will reread Choke. I was just remembering how great it was. The rocks! And the last 6 sentences! (I'm looking at the book right now.)

Uh-oh. I think I'm obsessed. :eek:

"Last Chance to See" and "Kabale and Liebe"

Already two weeks ago if finished Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine. It's an amazing book, i absolutely love it. It's a book i'll definitely read again and again and again..., sooner or later.
It is an immensely important and powerful book, and i would suggest it to anyone! It is among the best books i have ever read!

Kabale and Liebe isn't my favorite Schiller play, but i really liked this social critizism that appeared, pretty obviously in this play, especially for the certain time in which the play was written, published and performed.

The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett. Hardboiled detective story. I enjoyed it very much as I travelled in my car...

Yum-yum.

ds

Beloved by Toni Morrison

I felt horribly confused throughout this entire novel. Toni Morrison, the author, makes it almost impossible to understand what’s going on. (Or atleast I felt so) When I read this book I got lost so many times. Sometimes you have to read things over and over again. I felt Toni should have broke down her paragraphs into less complex sentences. Most of the paragraphs had too many ideas running through them. With all of these ideas there could be many different interpretations of this book. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

I just finished reading Raymond Chandler's Farewell, my Lovely! It was my first dip into the world of Philip Marlowe! I really enjoyed this novel. It moves along with a wonderful place. The world etched in dark, gritty, sweaty, detail by Chandler. The pace is unrelenting and the dialogue snappy and witty. I will, for sure, get more of these books :)

Scaredy Cat by Mark Billingham.

The second in the series of DI Tom Thorne books. Another excellent read. Recommended

I finished The Mermaids Singing the other day by Val McDermid.

My first book by that author but definately not the last! Very impressed :)

The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents by Terry Pratchett. Very good book, it enjoyed it a lot.

I just finished reading Candy (AND NO IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY NAME) by Kevin Brooks. It wasn't as good as Lucas his other bokk which I would recomend to anyone.

Assasin's Apprentice, Robin Hobb. So glad it started good and didn't seem forced, like Tad William's Memory Sorrow and Thorn's first book.

The protagonist apparently can do everything except fly and stop bullets, but he just doesn't know it yet.

Very good, recommended if you like fantasy. This is like GRRM-lite.

ds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back