• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artemis Fowl

I finished 'Artemis Fowl - The Opal deception'. I wasn't impressed by either the book or the author. It did come as a good change after the heavy 'Choke'.

Bernard said:
I've just finished the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams. I was surprised by this book. I'd heard about the book but never really knew what the story was about. It was totally different than what I had perceived it would be. I thought the book was very easy to read. The only complaint that I have is with the length of the book. I bought the Film Tie-in Edition and the last 100 pages are just interviews with the cast of the movie. So I was disappointed that the book was over.

Oh well, you have four more HitchHiker books to read so don't be glum! :D

Nocturnes by John Connolly - interesting.

Now Stephen Booth... finishing a book I started but am having a tough time finishing.

Royal Assassin, by Robin Hobb. I almost screamed at the character, which is so different from the action of the first book. The word to describe this book is 'inaction'. I can now understand why there are people who dislike the series and complain the way they do. It did get better at the end though (thank goodness), and I'm reserving all my thoughts until I finish the 3rd and final book.

ds

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
I will need to reread this, well, a lot more times in order to get everything out of it. It is so layered, and beautifully done at that. I think I'm in love.

What was the last book you read

Just out of curiousity, what was the last book you read and how would you rate it.
To start off I read Wind in the Night by Aaron Arkens. If it wasn't for the book and shortness it would have gotten 5 stars. By the way, the back of the book said he was thirteen. So because of the two things that I listed above I would rate it 4 stars.

I finished Sideways by Rex Pickett a bit back (am almost done with another though). I'd give it a five of five. I really loved the book and was sorry to see it end. Then, I ruined it by watching the movie :(

Anthony Burgess, is a genius!

I just finished A Clockwork Orange and I loved it :p . I thought it was a real horrorshow! After reading about two pages the language becomes easy to read, and becuase of the different language of nadsat it makes it an entirely different world filled with ultraviolence.
So i suggest to everyone to sit down with a nice glass of Moloko plus Vellocet and read this book!

I just finished reading "Pawley's Island" by Dorothea Benton Frank. It is a great summer read and is a page turner. I would give it a 4 star rating and recommend it enthusiastically to everyone. This is not a classic type of book but is a fun read.

Maya, I see you're reading Rebecca. That’s a great one. I certainly enjoyed it thoroughly. DuMauier’s writing is just so vivid and the plot development/characters were just dark and mysterious enough. A great read. Have you read anything else by her? I haven’t, but would love to hear a review.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

This was quite an interesting book in many ways. It was definitely one of the more unconventional novels I've ever read. As described by several reviewers in other parts of the forum, each of the six stories are intriguing and extremely well-written. It's impossible to become bored as you are whisked around the world and across centuries with little time to catch your breath and yet despite all of this, in the end I felt cheated. Throughout I was watching for hints and subtleties as to how each character/story interconnected and I guess I just expected some kind of revelation or closure at the end. Instead it ended with a didactic sermon that, although relavent to themes in the book, seemed a bit forced and anticlimactic. On the bright side, portions of this book will be running through my head for days.

BiG Fish

I just finished reading Big Fish by Daniel Wallace and really enjoyed it. I loved the movie as well and, though there are similarities between them, they are very different.

I just finished reading (last week) The Liveship Trader series by Robin Hobb. I was terribly disappointed, probably more so having enjoyed The Farseer trilogy. There seemed to be some continuity issues, espeically in the third book. Chapter titles leaped from season to season while the events in the books would suggest that little time has passed. Two different characters were so much alike that I had trouble distinguishing between the two at certain points in the series. I thought many of the plot threads were pointless and not entirely resolved at the end of the series.

I didn't enjoy Far Seer at all. I think that I am the ONLY person in the world that didn't :)

Hobb is a good writer. I really liked her prose a lot. However, the story was just so boring for me. S L O W is not the word. I managed to get almost half way into the third novel and still none the wiser to the identity of the raiders and their objectives. Worse! I didn't CARE. I just couldn't get on with the characters at all. In the case of Fitz he is the single most irritating character I have ever read in a novel. His constant wingeing and submissive behaviour caused me constantly to screech at the pages :D

I just finished reading Crimson Petal and the White. I enjoyed all 833 pages of it! Writing style is wonderful. Both story and characters keep you gripped.

Highly recommend!

I just finished reading Peer Gynt. I'm sure there's some important intellectual message in the writing but I haven't bothered with thinking about the meaning of the events. It was amusing and interesting. I'm not accustomed to reading plays though, so I did struggle a bit to get through it.

I just finished reading Big Fish by Daniel Wallace and really enjoyed it. I loved the movie as well and, though there are similarities between them, they are very different.

I felt exactly the same way. I loved both but I was surprised by how different they really were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back