• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.
His detective novels are readable,but not spectacular.But this was superb.It was the best psychological thriller ive read in many years.I actually woke at 4 am to read this before work.

I just finished reading The Phantom of the Opera. The end was marvelous! It made me yearn for the stage production.

I'm 30 pages from the end of "If on a Winter's Night...." and I was loving the book up until it took an odd turn, which may yet, in the final pages, be redeemed, but for right now it upset the rhythm of the book for me. Still recommendable at this point, though I'd rate "Cosmicomics" higher.

Irene Wilde

Pacific Vortex! by Clive Cussler

My first taste of Clive Cussler. For some reason, it reminded me of the Hardy Boys mysteries that I used to read as a kid.

Finished Everything is Illuminated It's a book about a Jew that returns to the ukraine to seek the woman that saved his grandfather from the Nazi. Along the way you get to learn the histoy line. In other chapters it deals with the present and his journey.

Really good writing. Some really beautiful lines within this book. It's very very sad in places and very funny in others. Powerful and thought provoking stuff.

Contest by Matthew Reilly

Awesome. Only the second book I've ever read in under twenty-four hours (The other being Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger).

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Wonderful book. My recommendation is that tender-hearted people need to have some tissues nearby.

Just fininished reading Bombay Ice by Leslie Forbes

I did not enjoy this book. Itwas heralded as a literary crime thriller. Set in Bollywood, with characters like Prosper and Mirander and Rozalind. I found it to be a self indulgent work, which tried to hard to be profound and clever with useage of intelligent language and alegory and science theory like chaos of the weather amongst its offering. The reality I found was a unsatisying mixture which had a thoroughly dislikeable main character. Perhaps she was mean't to be hard, like a world weary private eye, but she was unlikeable and didn't care if she came to a sticky end...
The Indian setting was the best bit of the novel. The author did manage to capture the exotic flavour and the mixture of Indian life and it was highly descriptive. However India played secondly to a violent and sordid piece, which left a unflavourable aftertaste. The cleverness of the language could not hide this nor the thoroughly disappointing ending. The baddie was the same baddie from the start, except a little more bad and up to worse acts.
A really irritating part was the division of the book into the cast and Acts instead of chapters. I felt this added to the pretentious nature of the book. Plus there was a obligatory Shakespeare quoting character.
All in all Not very good
Gillian

Just finished Vonneguts Sirens of Titan more SF than I'd usually go for but thoroughly enjoyable and I was able to suspend disbelief (not a trait of mine). I loved his use of 'quotes' to explain matters. Now feel the urge to re-read his other books

just finished of love and other demons by Gacier Marquez, not sure which could be my next one. have Gravity's rainbow, and Foucault's pendulum and salamander. *sigh.... :( *

Just finished Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. It was pretty good and a page-turner, but I didn't care for the M.Night Shyamalan style twist at the end (which I didn't see coming but probably everyone else did). To sum up, it was good but not one of his best.

Just finished From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury. Overall, I enjoyed the book very much, but (in typical Bradbury style) some parts were a bit long-winded and slow. But what a fun story! (or collection of stories) Somewhat like the Addams Family, but more interesting and widespread. The illustration on the inside cover (which is on the front of some earlier editions) is wonderful!

I like Ray Bradbury! He writes really beautiful prose and his stories are always crammed with interesting ideas, wonder and strange stuff :D I always mean to read more of him because I have not read that much. I do think that he does tend to ramble a bit, and the story can be slow, and sometimes he seems more interested in writing something beautiful and trying out ideas than he does with the plot. However, nothing wrong with that :)

i agree with you on all accounts, sillywabbit. i always wind up enjoying his stories, though i often find it a task to get through them. fahrenheit 451 was the easiest for me to digest, while from the dust returned was one of the hardest.

I just finished Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami and loved it. I strongly identified with Midori's character, and both her and Toru's attitude towards so-called 'revolutionaries'. Next up is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back