• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The princess of babylon by voltaire

I liked the novel was written quite well, love Voltaire style. But I think I might have missed the "message" of the book. I just finished it so maybe it will still sink in...sometime :p

The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers

The following quote by Graham Greene describes this book best:

"Miss McCullers and perhaps Mr Faulkner are the only writers since the death of D. H. Lawrence with an original poetic sensibility. I prefer Miss McCullers to Mr Faulkner because she writes more clearly; I prefer her to D. H. Lawrence because she has no message."

Io Non Ho Paura by Niccolò Ammaniti

I closed the pages of this book about half an hour ago and I just wanted to share with everyone what a wonderful piece of writing this is. I wasn't sure about reading it as it is in Italian and I didn't think my language skills were really up to it, but as its written from the viewpoint of a nine year old boy it has a beautiful simpllicity to it. Its a very harsh story about how Michele in the summer of 1978 makes an appalling discovery which forces him to confront the fact that evil isnt just confined to comic books and his imagination. If this is available in translation, I really would recommend it.

It is. I came out in the UK about a year ago. I had it on my 'to get' list already, but it hasn't made it to the top yet.

clueless said:
It is. I came out in the UK about a year ago. I had it on my 'to get' list already, but it hasn't made it to the top yet.

Oh, please do try and read it soon, I'd love to discuss it, in fact I might get it in translation myself to see how the two compare. I feel another visit to Amazon coming on!

Last book read...

"Haunted" by Kelley Armstrong

This is the 5th book in her Women of the Otherworld series and it was a good read. I was prepared not to like it, since the main character is in past books and is not depicted as being very 'like-able', but it does change your perception of the character when you find out her reasonings for things she has done in the past.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Nice book, wonderful story.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

Absolutely gorgeous.

"Memories of a geisha"
I've been having this oriental phase- I had read two Amy Tan's which I also really liked, The Joy Luck Club and The Kitchen's God Wife recently-and I enjoyed it very much, though I felt a bit dissapointed at the end, not because of the way the story ends, but because of the revelation-those who have read it know what I'm talking about. Still, I think it was very informative and easy to read, and I'd highly reccomend it.

I finished up ”Frenchman’s Creek” by Daphne du Maurier yesterday, and must say I was terribly disappointed since I enjoyed ”Rebecca” by her a lot.
A very short summary of this book would only require the following key-words: pirates, wigs & my lady’s, not to mention his majesty.

I wouldn't recommend it!

In that case, don't read Jamaica Inn. You get the summary if you replace pirates and m'lady with salvagers and wench. My cousin Rachel is more in line with Rebecca

Magician by Raymond Feist

I was really looking forward to reading this one after hearing many good things about it and some recommendations from trusted TBFers, but I've got to say.....eh. Wasn't all that impressed. Not a bad book by any means but it seemed kind of formulaic and I found myself not caring about the characters. Oh well, maybe it's just me. (and ds)

I just finished reading Swords & Deviltry by Fritz Lieber. It's the first of 6 books in his Lankhmar books.

It's a fantasy adventure following the exploits of the "grey mouser" and Fafhrd the barbarian from the cold ice filled north. Their destinies bring them both together in Lankhmar the city of "seven score thousand smokes" where they soon become comrades.

I really enjoyed this book and have managed to get hold of the other 5 books! The book is in 2 parts and follows the adventures of each character on their own. The book really picks up when they both get together and take on the thief guild! If you like sword and sorcery and swashbuckling adventure then this is the book for you.

Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris

Some funny moments, but not half as funny as I imagined it would be.

Haven't read it myself but I've heard from a few people that the ending just wasn't up to par with the rest of the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back