• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my university professor said to me many years ago, if you don't know, it's up to you to find out.

The Bartimaeus Triology: The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Straud

Nathaniel is a boy magician-in-training, sold to the government by his birth parents at the age of five and sent to live as an apprentice to a master. Powerful magicians rule Britain, and its empire, and Nathaniel is told his is the "ultimate sacrifice" for a "noble destiny." If leaving his parents and erasing his past life isn't tough enough, Nathaniel's master, Arthur Underwood, is a cold, condescending, and cruel middle-ranking magician in the Ministry of Internal Affairs. The boy's only saving grace is the master's wife, Martha Underwood, who shows him genuine affection that he rewards with fierce devotion. Nathaniel gets along tolerably well over the years in the Underwood household until the summer before his eleventh birthday. Everything changes when he is publicly humiliated by the ruthless magician Simon Lovelace and betrayed by his cowardly master who does not defend him.
Nice story, but
for being a children's book it's a bit over-equipped with murders. The characters aren't fixed at all and at least Nathanael seems to suffer from multiple personality disorder. And he's really quite obsessed with revenge and power. When he killed that guy in the "castle" I had the impression of Chucky the killer doll being at large.
All in all it's similar to the Artemis Fowl books.

Ive just finished reading a book called Crash. It is written entirely through poems and conversation and is the most unique book ive ever read. Only took me about 2 hours in total because it is a very short book.

James B. Stewart's Blood Sport. Stewart highlights the Whitewater land deal and how the Clintons became involved in it. The role of right wing think tanks, lowly reporters, and administration officials in this whole controversy is meticulously outlined. Stewart does an impeccable job of creating a story narrative that brings out the facts and details that alone, would became very mind-numbing. Not only that, but he is also quick to point out certain facts that although look legally questionable, were not illegal at the time.

Just finished the latest Harry Potter book (yes, I know I'm slow, but I had to re-read Book 5 first). I found it really sad actually, but I enjoyed it. Some parts were very cliched, but that doesn't matter too much to me.

Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy.
As usual, from about the tenth page, I could see the clouds of disaster gathering. Hardy's use of Jude and Sue's situation to explore social concepts is, as ever, disturbing and faintly prophetic. The perceived "consequences" of their actions (I don't know how to black out spoilers, but you'll know what I mean if you've read it) are typically ambiguous; either their situation is morally acceptable, and their tragedies are a metaphor for a blind society's revenge, or their actions are morally reprehensible and they are being punished.
Similarly, Jude's aspirations to become a scholar can be interpreted to mean that one should attempt to better oneself, even if that attempt is ultimately doomed; or that it is useless, and possibly wrong, to challenge your place in the natural order.
Hardy's genius was that he never seemed to take sides in these conflicts, as with Tess of the D'Urbervilles; he presented the situation, but left the interpretation to the reader. I like to think that he was forward-thinking, and that the tragic elements to his works were symptomatic of his disillusionment with the hypocrisy of society, but a 19th century person may have seen it the other way. Thus Hardy continues to appeal.
In Jude, also, he seems to be less concerned with Nature. There are some typically heathen musings, but nothing like the rich descriptions in Far From the Madding Crowd. This is possibly to do with the darker tone; green fields and rosy cheeked milkmaids not being particularly appropriate. However, he does describe fields and suchlike, just not in a typical Hardy way; " a pair of new corduroy trousers" being one simile that sticks in my mind.

The shorter version is: I liked it, read it. Possibly not while you're already depressed.

Eragon by Christopher Polini

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and he discovers that he is fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.
Great book for kids written by a kid.

'Der Besuch der alten Dame' by Dürrenmatt. I finished it a few days ago and liked it well enough, but I think it would have worked differently on me, if I had seen it on stage. Dürrenmatt gives some very clear instructions for the performance on stage and I could imagine it well, but some parts just seemed exaggerated to me, only reading it. It's a tragic comedy and leaves a lasting impression on me, because it feels so wrong to laugh about some of the situations, but you do nontheless.

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

In California's Sacramento Valley, six people meet once a month to discuss Jane Austen's novels. They are ordinary people, neither happy nor unhappy, but all wounded in different ways, all mixed up about their lives and their relationships. Over the six months they meet, marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and, under the guiding eye of Jane Austen, some of them even fall in love ...
Nice book, but you should have read at least the summaries of all Jane Austen books (in the back of this book).

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Really enchanting book, and I think that her account of the life of both Anne and Mary Boleyn is pretty accurate (but I'm only guessing here from the online research that I did after reading the book :confused: ).

Gregory creates believable characters, characters that make you feel happy when they are, miserable when they are not at their best and also sympathetic when they are in need of help. At one point in the book I wanted to put it down and stop reading because I couldn't stand reading about how one of the characters had been hurt :eek: Very strong writing.

I also enjoyed this book because it portrayed Anne in a different light than all the other books that I had read about her. Seeing her as coniving and selfish was quite a refreshing view of her and I enjoyed seeing
her rise and fall from favour
in a different light.

All in all an engrossing read and one that I recommend whole heartedly.

N.B - I put the spoiler tag on just incase people wern't aware of the story of Anne Boleyn. I'm sure that most people are, but just in case....

Rigana said:
'Der Besuch der alten Dame' by Dürrenmatt. I finished it a few days ago and liked it well enough, but I think it would have worked differently on me, if I had seen it on stage.

That’s the problem with reading plays (but they’re still worth reading). One of his that may work a bit better solely on the page is _Die Physiker_ (“The Physicists”); pretty nutty and funny. In a sick way.

For his novels _Justiz_ (“The Execution of Justice”), _Das Versprechen_ (“The Pledge”) and _Der Richter und sein Henker_ (“The Judge and His Hangman”) are all worth a read.
j
(nice write-up on Hardy, Miss J)

Beast by Peter Benchley. Same book as Jaws except with a giant squid. Written a little better than Jaws.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, tried starting it a few times now, found it hard going especially the first few pages but kept going this time, it is picking up.
Ooops sorry! posted in wrong thread (should be currently reading)

MonkeyCatcher said:
I put the spoiler tag on just incase people wern't aware of the story of Anne Boleyn. I'm sure that most people are, but just in case....

I'm laughing! Could there be anything that we don't all know about the infamous Nan Bullen? (With her head tucked unnnderneath her aaaarm...)

I have avoided the Phillipa Gregory books, thinking that they probably couldn't be as good as some of the other Tudor/Elizabethans available out there, but maybe I was judging the books by their covers. I'll just go ahead and give her a try on your say-so, MC.

;)

The Pillars of Earth by Ken Follett
Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through 40 years of social and political upheaval as internal church politics affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists.
Definitely not a good book. It's like a bad medieval soap opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back